Traveltalkonline.com Forums


SXM Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors SXM Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics30,922
Posts234,961
Members25,492
Most Online2,218
Jan 21st, 2020
Top Posters(30 Days)
Fred 85
Zanshin 78
pat 59
Kennys 53
Fran 53
Member Spotlight
Posts: 165
Joined: March 2016
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
kathyf
Who's Online Now
18 registered members (Sunnykm, Savannahlucy, GW248, Latadjust, SeeDiver, GeorgeC1, MrEZgoin, xrayman67, SXMScubaman, tomintx, kbd, ECRunner, johnhill, warren460, 4 invisible), 155 guests, and 416 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 #240424
11/21/2020 01:58 PM
11/21/2020 01:58 PM
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 89
Hallandale Beach, FL
bonz1946 Offline OP
Traveler
bonz1946  Offline OP
Traveler
Joined: Feb 2004
Posts: 89
Hallandale Beach, FL
We stay ay Oyster Bay Beach Resort and are not sure yet if we're going to SXM in 2021..We moved 3 years ago from suburban Chicago to Hallandale Beach, Florida!
As for the talk of spiraling Covid cases in Florida, understand that FL is the 3 most populated state in America and if you stay away from the congested areas and follow the science (wear mask, social distance, etc.), you will be fine! joy
Our question is: when do we need to give notice to OBBR (30 day notice?) if we do decide to not go in 2021? We are leaning toward going but, are weighing all the pros and cons before we make that final decision. If we don't go, we surely will bank our week and double up in 2022!
Needless to say, the weather where we live is lovely but, we love SXM and it's a nice change of pace. We are sad to see our old state of Illinois is now getting hit very hard by Covid and we hope the best for them. clapping

SXM Sponsors
Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 [Re: bonz1946] #240427
11/21/2020 02:13 PM
11/21/2020 02:13 PM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 73,210
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 73,210
Central Florida!
I think you need to contact them directly and ask. Sounds like you're using a timeshare reservation.


Carol Hill
Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 [Re: bonz1946] #240434
11/21/2020 04:25 PM
11/21/2020 04:25 PM
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 113
Upstate, NY
Mikel Offline
Traveler
Mikel  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jun 2003
Posts: 113
Upstate, NY
We are also owners at OBBR and the reservation that you receive states a 90 days notice for cancellation. That has been on the reservation for years and it is not to say that they are not being more lenient these days. I would certainly call them and ask what your options are. We are trying very hard to go this year and hope to be there January 8th.

Last edited by Mikel; 11/21/2020 04:33 PM.
Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 [Re: Mikel] #240449
11/21/2020 09:01 PM
11/21/2020 09:01 PM
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 436
MILford,CT.
B
bonsie Offline
Traveler
bonsie  Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Feb 2006
Posts: 436
MILford,CT.
We own at OBBR and had to cancel our plans twice this year because of Covid and had no problem at all. We were told that because of Covid.
Normally if you are going to bank, you have to call them buy Sept. 15. They were very nice and told they are looking forward to us
re-booking in 2021, I would call them s soon as you have a new date.

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 [Re: bonz1946] #240468
11/22/2020 09:26 AM
11/22/2020 09:26 AM
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 875
B
badbenni Offline
Traveler
badbenni  Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Jan 2010
Posts: 875
You are safer here in St Maarten than in USA now. That's all I will say as to what you should do as to coming or not.

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 [Re: badbenni] #240477
11/22/2020 10:23 AM
11/22/2020 10:23 AM
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 133
Maryland
S
ScottW Offline
Traveler
ScottW  Offline
Traveler
S
Joined: Apr 2012
Posts: 133
Maryland
For our group, it has nothing to do with feeling safe while we are in St Maarten. We have 8 of us, including 2 young grand kids. The uncertainty of the testing and travel headaches make it difficult for us to make the commitment for our usual February trip. The other issue is the ability (or inability) to get adequate medical care if a covid issue comes up. What if one of use test positive right before we are scheduled to leave? What if the French side closes the border again? We would not be able to get to the villa. If it was just 2 of us, we might be more inclined to take the financial risk.

Our plan was to go for 3 weeks this year. Out of the blue we received an email yesterday from the house keeper at the villa we rent. She wanted to know how we are doing and if we would be coming. I wish I could tell her yes.

We are going to wait to make the decision. If the villa gets rented in the meantime., it will be our loss. We've been every year since 2004. Our villa was not heavily damaged in the hurricane, so we did not miss that year.

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 [Re: ScottW] #240491
11/22/2020 10:57 PM
11/22/2020 10:57 PM
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,950
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Online content
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,950
Auburn, WA
Understandable. Tough decision.

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 [Re: SXMScubaman] #240513
11/23/2020 08:42 AM
11/23/2020 08:42 AM
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 323
B
bizzottom Offline
Traveler
bizzottom  Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Mar 2006
Posts: 323
just got back, what shame, Divi at 25 % capacity, just a guess, but certainly pretty close IMO.
And front street was worse than i anticipated Re: closed businesses

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 [Re: bizzottom] #240524
11/23/2020 09:14 AM
11/23/2020 09:14 AM
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 73,210
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 73,210
Central Florida!
bizzottom--would appreciate hearing about your trip, when you can.


Carol Hill
Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 [Re: Carol_Hill] #240604
11/23/2020 07:55 PM
11/23/2020 07:55 PM
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 3
K
K8* Offline
Member
K8*  Offline
Member
K
Joined: Aug 2020
Posts: 3
Tough decisions being made this year by everyone. We just jumped through hoops and several flight cancellations to arrive on the island. Canadian Covid test results arrive in 24 hrs even though media writes that it takes 2 to 4 days. EHAS authorization returned from SXM within 30 mins. All looked good. Then Mother Nature dumps season’s first rain, hail, snowstorm on Toronto. Our flight made it to Newark last night with crazy turbulence. This morning United Airlines flew us down to the island, I saw social distancing and mask wearing all through the airports. And what a great welcome at SXM. Our car rental driver even sprayed the luggage handles before he touched them. Delighted to be back in our happy place for the season. To each his own. But I’d rather be here with Covid rules and sunshine than be at home following rules with bleak weather.

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 [Re: bonz1946] #240610
11/23/2020 09:22 PM
11/23/2020 09:22 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 315
Massachusetts
320sycamore Offline
Traveler
320sycamore  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 315
Massachusetts
came back last week - 65 active infections in a population of 80,000 - summer like conditions with outdoor dining - hand sanitizer everywhere - virus screening before being allowed to board a plane - border closures are not going to happen again (reflective ot the uncertainty of the virus in the early days) - go have a good time and support the good people

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 [Re: 320sycamore] #240612
11/23/2020 09:33 PM
11/23/2020 09:33 PM
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,950
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Online content
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Online Content
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 12,950
Auburn, WA
You can't guarantee no boarder closures. Only the government that controls it make those decisions.

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 [Re: bonz1946] #240613
11/23/2020 09:36 PM
11/23/2020 09:36 PM
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 315
Massachusetts
320sycamore Offline
Traveler
320sycamore  Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2005
Posts: 315
Massachusetts
I see your point except it seems very unlikely the government would become more restrictive at a time they are lessening the travel restrictions

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 [Re: K8*] #240671
11/24/2020 04:46 PM
11/24/2020 04:46 PM
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 2
ottawa ontario
T
tdl Offline
Member
tdl  Offline
Member
T
Joined: Jan 2020
Posts: 2
ottawa ontario
K8. I have a question for you. We live near Ottawa and are planning on flying to SXM on January 31. We already have our flights booked with Westjet. Where did you get your Covid test? I think we can get one at some of the pharmacies near us. One of the stipulations is that you have to be planning on travelling out of the country. My wife had to get a Covid test earlier this year. We got her results from the https://covid-19.ontario.ca/ website. Is this sufficient to prove to SXM that we got the test? Thanks for the info.

Re: Not Sure If We're Going For Week 7 [Re: 320sycamore] #240675
11/24/2020 06:14 PM
11/24/2020 06:14 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 4,053
Kennys Offline
Traveler
Kennys  Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 4,053
Thanks for your positive comments.


Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.1