Member Spotlight
eilandmens
eilandmens
South Jersey USA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Iowaboy
Who's Online Now
36 registered members (timnboston, SXMNAN, NumberCruncher, Beansbbq, 706jim, steve74, SXMBND, marybeth, MamaB, GeorgeC1, CaribbeanCanadians, Jerry_R, SXMScubaman, Alecs, BHK, Kevin_B, KC2SXM, Kegoangoango, davidandsusannj, BillB42, JeanneB, socamon, deliveryskipper, ChuckG, eightzerobits, RonDon, 10 invisible), 1,013 guests, and 142 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Glen Eden and/or Terra Cotta in July #25082
01/27/2014 11:27 PM
01/27/2014 11:27 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Thinking about a 7-10 day trip to California. Wondering which will be a better time - a few days each or all at one location. These sound like the two best for Southern California. Any ideas on how to divide our time? Any other places to add to the mix?

SXM Sponsors
Re: Glen Eden and/or Terra Cotta in July #25083
01/28/2014 08:16 AM
01/28/2014 08:16 AM
PA
ChuckG Online content
Traveler
ChuckG  Online Content
Traveler
PA
We did exactly that a few yrs ago in October, spent a few days at Terra Cotta, Deanza Springs and Glen Eden. We love Terra Cotta but not sure about July in the desert! I think they have misters around the pool so it should be ok. What about Desert Sun? Haven't been in some time but have generally read good reviews. Glen Eden is nice but less resort-ish, more residential IMHO. Not as toasty though.
We also liked De Anza Springs, also desert but nice hiking and out in the country. They have quite a few rental units. We were the only guests at the time, mid-week.

Chuck and Joni
Re: Glen Eden and/or Terra Cotta in July [Re: ChuckG] #25084
01/28/2014 09:29 PM
01/28/2014 09:29 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Since you've been maybe you can shed insight..

We don't want to be the only 2 people at any place if you had to make an itinerary which ones would you be midweek and or weekend. Does Terra Cotta or Desert Sun have food available all 3 meals? Our main activity is pool sunworshipping and we'll need liquid refreshment. Again we like to be with others....not alone

Re: Glen Eden and/or Terra Cotta in July #25085
01/28/2014 10:57 PM
01/28/2014 10:57 PM

A
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
Anonymous OP
Unregistered
A

Terra Cotta provides a nice breakfast at 8 am and afternoon snacks at 4 pm. No restaurant on site. You can order lunch in and probably dinner as well. Downtown Palm Springs and its many restaurants are close however.

Don't know anything about Desert Sun.
Don't know anything about

Re: Glen Eden and/or Terra Cotta in July #25086
01/29/2014 07:41 AM
01/29/2014 07:41 AM
PA
ChuckG Online content
Traveler
ChuckG  Online Content
Traveler
PA
Desert Sun provides no freebies as far as I know, am sure that you can have meals delivered there as well.
Terra Cotta does provide a nice continental breakfast and the afternoon snacks come with wine!

Am not sure about the number of guests at either place in the summer but weekends will be livelier for sure. Terra Cotta seemed to be full on the weekend that we were there, maybe half full during the week (but we had 5 of their 20 rooms!) Have read that DS is pretty empty during the week but it's a much bigger place, there probably are always a few couples there. Again, weekends are hopping.

Glen Eden will have residents around all the time, quite a few couples visiting on the weekend, I would guess. Can't speak about summer though, they had a decent crowd the weekend in October that we were there. They have a snack bar for sandwiches and such. Feel free to PM me with any more questions.

Chuck and Joni
Re: Glen Eden and/or Terra Cotta in July [Re: ChuckG] #25087
01/29/2014 06:17 PM
01/29/2014 06:17 PM
B
banude Offline
Traveler
banude  Offline
Traveler
B
Desert Sun has a restaurant and bar onsite. You don't have to have food delivered or dress to go out. Check with the front desk about days it's open, I think in the high season it's open for lunch and dinner almost every day.

Your mileage will certainly vary, but we prefer DS over TC. TC has very nice hands-on owners, but we found the grounds and facilities lacking. TC is more intimate due to it's size, which for us was not a plus, but for you very well could be. TC is basically rooms all around a concrete pool deck and pool, a former motel. In July, there may not be much shade to be found at TC as compared to DS and it's larger grounds with trees.

DS is much larger, 3 pools, 2 hot tubs, restaurant, bar, tennis court, and onsite spa. TC's rooms are much bigger, some with a kitchen. DS just upgraded their Chaparral rooms, which was much needed.

If you're coming a long distance to CA, I'd split time between TC and DS and see which one you like better, at the very least spend a day at whichever one you're not staying at to compare. Then next time you'll know which one to book without wondering....

We prefer to visit DS Mon-Thurs just because we don't like the big weekend crowds, and we've never been there all alone. Oh, and DS also has very nice owners that are there relatively often, and the staff is very accommodating.

Re: Glen Eden and/or Terra Cotta in July [Re: banude] #25088
01/29/2014 08:01 PM
01/29/2014 08:01 PM
R
rickaw Offline
Traveler
rickaw  Offline
Traveler
R
We have stayed at TC and DS and we prefer DS hands down. We like the expansive grounds at DS were you can get evolved in a game of volleyball at the activity pool or just relax at the quiet pool or you can try out the saltwater pool by the condos. The resturant and bar is open on the weekends so you can have three meals a day without getting dressed. TC grounds are small and it can be a bit crowded on the weekends the few things good about TC is the included breakfast and the afternoon snacks and that they go around and take orders for lunch that is delivered to the hotel. The few drawbacks when we were there was that there wasn't much activities around the pool just everybody chilling around the pool and maybe the hot tub in the evening. My suggestion would be weekdays at TC ad the weekend at DS. I can't comment on Glen Eden since I haven't stayed there. Palm Springs has some great restaurants for diner it is just a shame that you have to get dressed.