My wife Jan and I were on the Island from 10/26-11/2 to both celebrate my 70th birthday as well as allow both of us some down time in a place we have really come to love and enjoy. We have been coming to SXM since 1995 and this was our 11th trip since that time. Normally we come with a certain agenda in mind but this time we decided to just let the days unfold and be a lot more spontaneous. Also, we were accompanied by my cousin and her husband (Herb and Leslie) and it was great to see both of them become SXM converts during our stay.
Airline – We live in Suwanee, Ga. Which is about 25 miles north of Atlanta so we normally fly Delta nonstop to SXM. We left right on time at 10:10 am and arrived in SXM at about 2:00 pm which was a little earlier than the scheduled arrival time. Really breezed through customs this time around and went to claim our bags. On the way back home we left at 3:23 pm as scheduled and got back into Atlanta about 7:15pm which was a few minutes earlier than the scheduled arrival time. Atlanta now has a new international terminal and you no longer have to recheck your bags as before. The downside, however, was we had a very long walk to get to customs - probably took at least 10-15 minutes or so. Once clearing customs, which was really quick, went to get our bags, which came out fairly promptly and we were on our way home.

Wilfred Brooks

In the past we have normally rented a car for the week but decided to do a combination of cabs and car rental this time. Accordingly, arranged for Wilfred to pick us up and return us to the airport as well. He was right outside the airport when we arrived and was also right on time for our pick up from OBBR to take us back to the airport on Saturday. After checking our bags, and as agreed, he met us outside the airport and took us to Sunset Beach Bar for lunch and picked us up about an hour later to return us to the airport for our flight home.
Lastly, he was scheduled to take us to Temptation for my Birthday Dinner, on Monday, but had a last minute problem with another client which would have made it impossible for him to pick us up at the appointed time. He called to inform me of his conflict about an hour before our pick up time and to let me know he had arranged for another cab to pick us up – which was very gracious and professional of him. The bottom line is that he is a class act and a great guy and would recommend anyone coming to the Island to use his services.

Oyster Bay Beach Resort

We have owned here since 2000 and continue to be very satisfied with the continuing improvement and upgrading of the resort. We stayed in a spotless, well appointed, updated and refurbished one bedroom (2431 end unit) with a great balcony overlooking the ocean and the view to St. Barts. I spent most mornings watching the sun come up and some of the afternoons reading a book with a glass of wine or two. Jan, joined me for the afternoons but not the sunrise watch, preferring to sleep in a bit longer.

We had two doves (assume male and female) visit the balcony in the morning and afternoon as I made the mistake of feeding them on day one and they kept coming back for more! Lastly, the resort offers an array of activities but other than a brief appearance at the Manager’s party we did not partake in the planned activities – been there done that.

Beaches

Dawn Beach is on the property and we spent several mornings and afternoons there. The beach is in decent shape but seems a bit narrower than the last time we were there but does tend to widen out as you walk towards Busby’s and the large rocks before the Westin. Overall still a great beach, to sun, swim, and stroll – also some snorkeling is possible but not the best for that activity. We spent a day at Orient Beach and got chairs and umbrellas at Brothers which was suggested by our cabbie. It is right next door to Chez Leandra and a couple of doors down from Cheryl and Andy’s. In hindsight, we would have been better served moving farther down the beach as we were perched on a ledge with a drop of a least two feet or so. However, after ordering a bucket of beer with Herb and the ladies splitting a bottle of wine no one was complaining very much. Also, took quite a few dips and generally enjoyed both the sun and surf while there.

Drove over to Mullet Beach one day, got chairs and umbrellas and spent a few hours there. Mullet continues to be my favorite beach on the Island. I have heard it can be rough but every time I have been there it has been perfectly calm and ideal for swimming or just bobbing around. Jan, won’t normally get in at Orient or Dawn, as normally to choppy for her, but she did enjoy splashing around at Mullet. Also, It did have a bit of a ledge to negotiate before getting in but not a big deal and again a great beach.

Restaurants
Had my birthday dinner at Temptation as we really like the atmosphere there and the piano player is also a very nice touch. Herb and I had martinis to start and the ladies had a glass of wine. Since we were in a joyous mood we all ordered a second round. For dinner, I had the 8 ounce filet mignon which was cut it with a fork tender and just outstanding. Herb had the same and the ladies had the lamb which they raved about. We passed on dessert as we decided to have dessert back at the resort at Canoa. However when we got back to the resort we were still full so called it a night. Wife and I returned to the room and I can’t talk about what happened after that!

Ate at Marks place in Cole Bay as it has become the place we now go to every time we are on Island. Food is great and prices are very reasonable - in other words my kind of place. As usual, I had the rib platter, Jan and Leslie had the breaded baked pork chops and Herb had the fried shrimp platter. Everything was outstanding and the portions so large that we all took doggies bags back to the room.

Had heard a lot about Hilma’s and decided to try it this time. We stopped there on our way to Mullet and split the Johnny Cake salt fish sandwich and also ordered a few fried chicken wings for a snack in the room. I have to say the salt fish was not to our liking but the wings were very good later that day in the room. Chatted with Hilma who is a very nice lady and let her know we heard about her on TTOl which she has also heard about.

Chez Leandra – Had lunch here on the day we spent at Orient. Jan and I split the filet of fish (snapper) sandwich which was served on a 12 inch, soft french bread, sandwich roll. It was garnished with lettuce, tomato and a local spicy sauce. It presented very well when it came to the table but we both thought it was just OK and were a bit disappointed based on what we had heard about CL. Herb and Leslie had the Shrimp and were happy with their selection. Overall, a nice spot on the beach and would probably give them another try on a subsequent trip.

Canoa – We were not especially hungry one night but went to Canoa as we wanted to try it out. We had a glass of chardonnay apiece and split an appetizer called Plantain Canoa. It is a large plantain with a well seasoned beef sauce sprinkled on top. It was outstanding! The atmosphere there that night was very nice - gentle breeze, waves lapping, and some soft r&b music being played in the background. We will definitely go back to this very classy place during our next visit for a full meal.

Other meals included the buffet breakfast at Infinity which was fine and thought the cooked to order omelet was really good along with all the other normal buffet fare that was nicely prepared and presented. For $12.95 an excellent value. Went to the Westin one morning for breakfast and we just ordered off the menu - had eggs, hashed browns, bacon, toast. Their buffet looked good but at $21.95 thought it was a bit overpriced but we also weren’t in the mood that morning to eat that much anyway. Got there around 8am and it was almost empty but was filling up a bit as we were leaving.

Went to Beau Beaus for dinner the first night and we all had the grouper, rice and peas and a side salad and it was very good and reasonably priced as well. Also got their rib platter one night as a takeout meal and it was no way as good as Mark’s ribs – not as plentiful, not as well seasoned and too fatty. Ate at Sunset Beach Bar for lunch prior to catching our flight home. I had heard mixed reviews about their food but the 8 ounce Cheeseburger I had with fries was excellent and cooked as ordered – medium rare. Jan had the grouper fingers and they were great based on my sampling a few.

Snorkel Trip

Made a last minute decision to go on the three island snorkel trip which leaves from the Oyster Bay marina. Went by myself as Jan had scheduled a facial and is not big on Snorkel trips anyway. However, met some very nice people and we were fast friends by the end of the 4 hour trip. Trip included a stop at Tintamarre, and Green Cay for snorkeling and lunch (sandwiches and assorted beverages and beer) at Pinel and then a 30 minute ride back to OBBR. Overall it was a little disappointing as the day was a bit overcast and hindered the visibility but did see some sea turtles and stingrays at Tintamarre and a few interesting fish species at Green Cay as well.

Next trip I am going to opt for a snorkel trip that leaves from the other side of the Island. I am looking forward to going out with Captain Bob Cass if he is available during my next stay.

In closing, it was another great stay,a bit more laid back than usual, but just not long enough, so will probably extend it by at least a few days or so next time around which at this point is regrettably at least 11 months away.