Member Spotlight
RickG
RickG
St. John, USVI
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Bonheur
Who's Online Now
30 registered members (NumberCruncher, zhawk, GeorgeC1, Ifeltlikeagringo, JandIrene, JohnW, Sea_Skyman, michaelj, lhbsurf, Kmon, Brad_Va, duckfat, MrEZgoin, KC2SXM, SXMScubaman, Jaybird, Tonythepilot, PML, ColoBoater, Billtjw, 10 invisible), 582 guests, and 104 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Recent Trip, Captains Compass, extra day #276670
02/27/2022 06:02 PM
02/27/2022 06:02 PM
B
Buena Onda Offline OP
Buena Onda  Offline OP
B
Hello all, first time posting here. I have recently completed my 4th BVI charter, and my 8th charter overall. We were there Feb 13-21, 2022. Our group of 7 had a great time!

Covid protocols: I have read some of the threads here, and it was good information. All 7 had to be Covid negative going there, and back to the USA as well. We jumped thru all of the hoops. They did ask about my travel insurance, I used Allianz. They wear their masks here, and want you to as well.

We flew Southwest into PR, and then Intercaribbean into and out of EIS. Intercaribbean was 2 hours late going there, and we took off 30 minutes early leaving to PR. Otherwise no problems.

We always stay an extra day at the end of the charter. I don't enjoy hurrying to return the yacht, and stressing about catching a flight. So we get a room on Tortola, spend an easy day getting to know Tortola, and get a good shower and coffee for the travel day home. I strongly recommend it. This time we rented cars and went to Banannakeet / Heritage Inn on the North side. Highly recommended the place, fantastic sunset, food and I loved the room. Near Cane Garden Bay. However, the drive scared the crap out of us. Those switchbacks are not for the faint of heart. Also, there are very few street signs, and google maps is spotty at best. A real adventure for this Kansas City crew.

We chartered with Brent and The Captains Compass. I am very happy with the experience. He was responsive and knows what he is doing. Everything was as promised. I will use him again. The only downside is the harbor he is in has lots of dead boats. I think that for all of you experienced charterers, this is probably not a big deal and the savings make up for it. If, however, you have "new" charter guests and their bags are full of expensive clothes, this can be a turn off for them.

But I will say it again: I will use Captains Compass again and have already referred a friend to him.

My negative: Boaty Ball. BVI Tourism board, if you are listening, that has got to go.

Our path took us to 1. Norman Island/ Caves 2. Next day swung by Great Dog on our way to Leverick for the night. 3. Bitter end/ Saba Rock third night. 4,5. Anegada and liked it so much stayed for two nights. 6. Little Jost and Sandy Cay 7. Great Harbor on JVD.

Notabales: scooters on Anegada, a cab to The Baths, Hobies in North Sound, Saba Rock dinner and the B Line bar were highlights for us. We had a GREAT time!

Fair winds,
Barry

BVI Sponsors
Re: Recent Trip, Captains Compass, extra day [Re: Buena Onda] #276757
02/28/2022 05:19 PM
02/28/2022 05:19 PM
L
LolaK Offline
Traveler
LolaK  Offline
Traveler
L
We are staying at Heritage Inn for a few nights this week. Ditched the rental for cabs as my husband didn't want to risk it, especially at night, in reading this I know we made the right choice.

Thanks for sharing!

Re: Recent Trip, Captains Compass, extra day [Re: LolaK] #276762
02/28/2022 06:19 PM
02/28/2022 06:19 PM
B
Buena Onda Offline OP
Buena Onda  Offline OP
B
You are very welcome.