Member Spotlight
bdeeley
bdeeley
United States of America
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
25 registered members (Leagle49, ChuckG, SeaLady29, Fran, MKGrey, boucharda, jagmansr, nevar37, IWIWSE, tradewinds, deputydog1157, SANFILIP, SirRichard, SteveH, Tom, Jc1925, Zanshin, Memphré, Colour1, 6 invisible), 1,049 guests, and 66 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Overnight locations on catamaran? #276880
03/01/2022 07:47 PM
03/01/2022 07:47 PM
C
Chamdexor Offline OP
Traveler
Chamdexor  Offline OP
Traveler
C
First, thank you for having me. I'm brand new both to this community as well as boating/sailing. My family has booked our very first crewed charter end of July/first of August for 6 nights (we will buy travel insurance just in case). We've never been to the BVI nor stayed on a catamaran so we are very excited. I've done a little research but I would love some personal opinions. I "think" we will board out of Soper's Hole. We won't submit an itinerary until closer to the trip, but I wanted to get some ideas. I know I'd like to go to Norman Island (I've read a little about the Bight, the Caves, and the Indians although I'm not entirely sure they are all at Norman Island). I also would like to see The Baths at Virgin Gorda and go to Jost Van Dyke (White Beach is something I've heard mentioned). Assuming we stay at each of those locations or nearby, that would leave 3 additional nights. We are snorkelers, not divers if it matters. I've briefly read about Cooper and Peter island and Anegada and there's probably a lot more I know nothing about. If someone could point me in a direction or give me some tips/advice, I would love to read it. Thank you!

BVI Sponsors
Re: Overnight locations on catamaran? [Re: Chamdexor] #276885
03/01/2022 08:21 PM
03/01/2022 08:21 PM
Ottawa, Canada
UncleLuff Offline
Traveler
UncleLuff  Offline
Traveler
Ottawa, Canada
Hi and welcome! You will have an amazing time I am sure
Most itineraries are counter clock wise so you are going in the right direction. if you depart from soper's then Norman as a first stop would make sense.
1) your first stop at Norman island includes the bight (which is what the bay is called), the caves (at the bight entrance) and the Indians which is a little off shore from Norman Island. - you could visit both the caves and the Indians at that stop. The Indians are really nice first thing in the morning and you are more likely to get a ball so usually what we do is visit the Indians when we leave Norman for our next destination. The Caves we usually get a ball when we arrive and go for a snorkel and then head into the bight for a dinner reservation at Pirates bight - amazing restaurant - great ambiance - beautiful location but pricey!!!

2) Coopers island is a great stop for lunch but with so much to see not sure if I would overnight (others can correct me if they have a different opinion.) Peter island was a great stop and you ccould always walk over to Peter Island Resort for dinner or drinks but it is still closed after Irma - no idea if Oceans 7 club will be open or is still open. Peter island could be a stop and Great harbor is a nice anchorage (but not a lot of bars or restaurants) also not much sailing time between Norman - Cooper - Peter island.
3) another option would be to leave Norman and head to the baths - and then head up to North Sound either leverick bay Saba Rock, Bitter End Yacht club- honestly you could spend to days in North sound - it is beautiful and not to be missed
4) Head up to Anegada - its a great sail and wonderful snorkeling (loblolly bay for example) and dinner at the wonky dog is one of the best.
5) after Anegada - you could sail back for that second night in north sound and stay where you didn't stay last time
6) after departing North sound - you could either stop at the dogs or monkey point for a snorkel on your way to Cain Garden Bay (must stop - but try to get there when there are no cruise ships in port) one of my favorite bays and lots of great bars and restaurants a nice party vibe. That side of the island gets more rain so it is nice and lush as well
7) sail to Jost van Dyke and stop at Sandy Cay on your way (snorkeling is not great but it is a nice island and a cool stop) on your way the captain might enter white bay stern to beach and you can experience soggy dollar or hinto's hide out - my favotire is Ivan Peace and love on the east side - a more relaxed vibe. Great harbour or Little harbour for the night.

Obviously the captain and crew will have an itinerary and all subject to wind and conditions also they may know more secluded anchorages where you can anchor for the night. all depends on how much do you want to sail vs but on beach time - dinners out vs meals on board.

There you go - My trip will be in late April and I cant wait. been too long!

Cheers!

Re: Overnight locations on catamaran? [Re: Chamdexor] #276886
03/01/2022 08:22 PM
03/01/2022 08:22 PM
Bay Area
H
Husker Offline
Traveler
Husker  Offline
Traveler
H
Bay Area
There are lots of trip reports on the forum that should be a great resource for you.

Re: Overnight locations on catamaran? [Re: UncleLuff] #276890
03/01/2022 08:41 PM
03/01/2022 08:41 PM
C
Chamdexor Offline OP
Traveler
Chamdexor  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Wow. That was so informative. Thank you UncleLuff . I can't wait to research it all. Weirdly enough, I love researching trips. I didn't realize how awesome the North Sound is and sounds like a must. Most of our meals will be on the cat so no worries about finding restaurants, but we will have a few lunches and dinners on island.

Also - thank you Husker - I quickly reviewed the forum subject headings but didn't think to look at the TripReports. I'll do that as well.

Very appreciative.

Re: Overnight locations on catamaran? [Re: Chamdexor] #276894
03/01/2022 08:55 PM
03/01/2022 08:55 PM
M
MIDiver Offline
Traveler
MIDiver  Offline
Traveler
M
Welcome Chamdexor.

There is a wealth of info here. Just start browsing posts.

Your captain will likely have the best itinerary suggestions based on your interests and the sea and weather conditions while you are there. We sail frequently so now skip some of the more touristy stops (Norman, etc and opt for more quiet anchorages like Guana Island) but I am sure that as first timers you will enjoy everything. Don’t be afraid to spend two nights in places - North Sound or Anegada for example.

I would suggest:
Norman (as you have expressed interest)
Stop at Baths enroute to North Sound
** while Cooper does have a great restaurant we have spent more than enough nights on the ball there while it bangs the hulls - crazy wind changes and currents - so we now skip it.
North Sound (BEYC, Saba or Blunder Bay)
Anegada
Anegada to Jost Van Dyke

You will receive lots of helpful info and everyone has their favorite spots. 🌴

Get a copy of the Cruising Guide
https://www.amazon.com/Cruising-Gui...sing+guide&qid=1646182445&sr=8-3

Last edited by MIDiver; 03/01/2022 09:47 PM.
Re: Overnight locations on catamaran? [Re: MIDiver] #276903
03/01/2022 09:40 PM
03/01/2022 09:40 PM
C
Chamdexor Offline OP
Traveler
Chamdexor  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Thank you MIDiver. Just purchased the guide smile And thank you for welcoming me.

Re: Overnight locations on catamaran? [Re: Chamdexor] #276904
03/01/2022 09:45 PM
03/01/2022 09:45 PM
Pittsboro, NC, USA
CarolinaSailor Offline
Traveler
CarolinaSailor  Offline
Traveler
Pittsboro, NC, USA
Chamdexor: a few questions and observations (my opinions as well):

1. Will you be chartering a yacht with a captain and a cook or is it a true bareboat?
2. You mention that you plan on eating on board for most dinners, will you be having any dinners on shore? If you plan to only eat on shore once or twice, there are a few places worth the effort to get to, depending on your itinerary. Definitely some places to any away from as well. Eating out is getting pricier, so makes sense to be picky.
3. Will you be taking care of provisioning or will the chartering company be taking care of it? Definitely a learning curve here.

A. The BVI's are a very special place. We have been coming down off and on for over 50 years. Seen a lot of what storms can do in terms of damage, and have seen what development can do along those same lines.
B. If you have a captain, ask him to take you to anchorages that are less frequented that are near the best snorkeling areas. Definite stays include Norman, Cooper, North Sound, Baths, and Anegada. The latter is worth two nights. Great snorkeling and exploring that reminds us of how it used to be before everything got so commercialized.
C. Last I checked, Peter Island is not open yet from storms. Wouldn't waste time on a six night charter.
D. With only a six night charter, it would be easy to try to cram too much into your itinerary. Nothing makes for a worse island sailing vacation than rushing from place to place. Take time to enjoy the scenery and people you can meet. If you are like most visitors, you will come back time and again and can see different things. Half of the experience is the sailing.
E. The VI cruising guide 2022 edition is a must. We have used it since the first edition and get a new one every few years upon returning. Great insight into snorkeling sites and shore explorations, etc.
F. Yes, total trip insurance a must for that time of year.
G. While not what many purist sailors would prefer, we converted from monohull to cats when they were first introduced. The comfort factor (especially as we age...) far overcomes the sailing drawbacks. Will never go back.

As I said, my opinions based on many trips.

Re: Overnight locations on catamaran? [Re: Chamdexor] #276905
03/01/2022 10:10 PM
03/01/2022 10:10 PM
Houston, TX
Matt W Offline
Traveler
Matt W  Offline
Traveler
Houston, TX
Hey Chamdexor, ya'll will have a great time! Agree with everyone else, so many helpful folks and knowledge on this forum...search away and you'll find the answer.

I also put together an itinerary on my website that is great for first timers to the BVIs - hits all the popular spots you have probably read about. Here's the link: BVI Sailing Itinerary

Re: Overnight locations on catamaran? [Re: Chamdexor] #276938
03/02/2022 10:06 AM
03/02/2022 10:06 AM
Kannapolis, NC
ndfaninnc Offline
Traveler
ndfaninnc  Offline
Traveler
Kannapolis, NC
"With only a six night charter, it would be easy to try to cram too much into your itinerary. Nothing makes for a worse island sailing vacation than rushing from place to place. Take time to enjoy the scenery and people you can meet. If you are like most visitors, you will come back time and again and can see different things. Half of the experience is the sailing."

Well said.

Go Irish!!

Bill

[Linked Image]
Re: Overnight locations on catamaran? [Re: Chamdexor] #276963
03/02/2022 01:07 PM
03/02/2022 01:07 PM
C
Chamdexor Offline OP
Traveler
Chamdexor  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Carolina Sailor - It is a crewed charter with a captain and mate (chef). My understanding is that we will only have one or two dinners on shore and a couple of lunches. We LOVE good food whether it has white table cloths, beach bar or some hidden hole in the wall so I'd love a few recommendations. I believe the charter will take care of provisions, but we will give them a preference sheet at some point. I did buy the guide (thank you all for that tip) so I'm excited to get it delivered. We are kings and queens of cramming too much in (at least when we've visited Europe), but we don't do that as much in the Caribbean - that said - I'm super excited to sort of sit back and just "be". I think the general plan is to sail, snorkel, eat, repeat and maybe play with some water toys. We also love talking to locals and other tourists- we learn so much talking to them and have had really great conversations.

MattW- thank you. I really appreciate that link!!

Thank you NDfan.

I'm so thankful for all of your help. You have been so kind and welcoming.

Re: Overnight locations on catamaran? [Re: Chamdexor] #276964
03/02/2022 01:29 PM
03/02/2022 01:29 PM
Woodstock, GA
RickinAtlanta Offline
Traveler
RickinAtlanta  Offline
Traveler
Woodstock, GA
When you're in North Sound a must for lunch or just a drink is Hog Heaven with stunning views from the top of Virgin Gorda over the Sound, Richard Branson's Necker Island. A new place I'm reading great comments on is the North Sound Bistro very near Leverick Bay.

Re: Overnight locations on catamaran? [Re: Chamdexor] #276966
03/02/2022 01:37 PM
03/02/2022 01:37 PM
Miramichi NB Canada
Sandsailsun Offline
Traveler
Sandsailsun  Offline
Traveler
Miramichi NB Canada
Welcome! You have certainly come to the right place to learn …I remember my first BVI trip and the awe that it brought fondly . You will love this vacation without question.

I know that your post asked about overnight spots …There are wonderful suggestions already mentioned for itineraries.

Boating and sailing is so so much fun. Where you mention it is new to you , one thing I would suggest is for you to search this forum for tips for newbie sailors if you are interested in that . Also wondering if you are travelling with children ? You mention your family ? Teens ? All adults ?

I love to do the research, helps me prepare if I know what to expect and I sense you are also like this. There are some tips that would be helpful for first time boaters that would be shared here I am sure if you would find that of use also.

Please keep asking questions ! This is an awesome group of folks

Kim

Re: Overnight locations on catamaran? [Re: Chamdexor] #276967
03/02/2022 01:49 PM
03/02/2022 01:49 PM
Pittsboro, NC, USA
CarolinaSailor Offline
Traveler
CarolinaSailor  Offline
Traveler
Pittsboro, NC, USA
That sounds really great. It is tough to wind down from being here in the states and then trying to transition to island laid back attitude. Seems by the time I unwind it is time to go home. Oh well.

There are many great places to eat, too many for any one trip.

If only eating dinner out once or twice, I would highly recommend CocoMaya (cocomayavg.com) on Virgin Gorda and The Wonky Dog (thewonkydog.com) on Anegada, particularly if you like lobster. Both have outdoor seating and both have stunning views of sun setting. Both are pricey but worth it in my opinion. Check out the menus online and if they fit your taste, call for reservations two days in advance. Some places close in August, so good to check in advance. I would try to get there 30-60 minutes before sunset, so heat of day is diminishing but so you can see the views.

Also lots of cool places for lunch. My favorites include Hendos (hendoshideout.com) at White Bay on YVD and Top of the Baths (topofthebaths.com) on Virgin Gorda (really nice to hike up the hill, grab bite and to take a swim after exploring The Baths).

Again, my opinion.

Re: Overnight locations on catamaran? [Re: Chamdexor] #276973
03/02/2022 02:30 PM
03/02/2022 02:30 PM
M
MIDiver Offline
Traveler
MIDiver  Offline
Traveler
M
Food: North Sound Bistro, a new spot in North Sound at Blunder Bay Marina, is wonderful. Saba Rock has a fun vibe - we’ve had great meals there but others have reported hit or miss.

We also like Wonky Dog on Anegada (Jerk lobster!) but also love Sid’s. The conch ceviche and sunsets there are both equally amazing.

We prefer B-Line on Little Jost over Foxy’s Taboo and Tipsy Shark over Foxy’s in Great Harbor (food).

In White Bay JVD we buck the system and spend most of our time down by Ivan’s. Darlene makes an incredible Bikini Bottom (drink) and has a fun island style Beach BBQ on Wednesdays. On the West Side of White Bay we visit with Olga at Gertrude’s - great grilled fish sandwich - and head to Coco Loco for pizza. Soggy is always too busy but I understand the mystique, especially for first timers. Hendo’s disappointed us the last few visits.

We often connect with locals to get fish/lobster. Grilled the BEST lobster we had last trip right on the boat grill.

24 more days…….

Re: Overnight locations on catamaran? [Re: Chamdexor] #277161
03/04/2022 08:09 PM
03/04/2022 08:09 PM
C
Chamdexor Offline OP
Traveler
Chamdexor  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Thank you RickinAtlanta for the restaurant suggestion.

Sandsailsun - Yes, I'm nutty about planning. Probably too much. But it's also fun for me. My kids are teenagers. One will turn 18 on this trip and the other will turn 16 later in the year. I also have a birthday on this trip (part of the reason for it) and want to celebrate my next decade somewhere memorable.

Carolinasailor - I was looking at some website and it linked me to some pictures of Cocomaya and I love the look of it. So beautiful. I'll check out the others as well (thanks!)

MiDiver - I'll search them all up. Honestly, I think more than half the reason we travel is to eat and the other stuff we do is filler between restaurants- ha ha! Thank you.