RonDon 42
Zanshin 39
JeanneB 36
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
jeverny, JimE
Who's Online Now
28 registered members (PML, MNsnowbird, nevar37, Matt W, Uksimonusa, SXMBND, wendyk, ARC, OllieEh, Todd, steve74, GeorgeC1, eightzerobits, SXMScubaman, bailau, WLE, Alecs, jenniboston, YachtReprise, louismcc, Todd_Melinda_K, xrayman67, 6 invisible), 880 guests, and 70 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tobago - need help/feedback #28121
07/13/2014 09:05 PM
07/13/2014 09:05 PM
Ctrl. FL
beachbound Offline OP
Traveler
beachbound  Offline OP
Traveler
Ctrl. FL
plan on visiting tobago this coming winter - this will be our first visit - wondering if anyone can share their experiences such as places to stay, local eats, if there is a bus that runs on the island, supermarkets for cheap beer, best beaches for snorkeling, if you can fish from shore without a license

any and all input would be most appreciative - thank you!

"We are not human beings going thru a temporary spiritual experience...........We are spiritual beings going thru a temporary human experience"
Sponsors
Re: Tobago - need help/feedback [Re: beachbound] #28122
07/20/2014 03:08 AM
07/20/2014 03:08 AM
Lutz, FL
tangerine3 Offline
Traveler
tangerine3  Offline
Traveler
Lutz, FL
check out this forum http://www.mytobago.info/forum/ it helped us out a lot when we did our trip there about 2 years ago. we stayed here close to the airport http://www.douglastobago.com/ and drove up to Castara. You didn't say what you are used to so don't know if you are an all inclusive person. There is none of that on this island. If you like self catering and traveling about then this island will be cool. Forget about buses can't rely on them. if you drive up to castara that i do recommend then stay here: http://www.mytobago.info/apartments/alibabas-sea-breeze.htm

[Linked Image]
Re: Tobago - need help/feedback [Re: tangerine3] #28123
07/24/2014 09:11 PM
07/24/2014 09:11 PM
St. Paul, Minnesota - USA
David_K Offline
Traveler
David_K  Offline
Traveler
My wife and I went to Tobago last winter.

I posted a trip report about lodging, car rental and dining on Trip Advisor at:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g14...go.html#4852176

David
Re: Tobago - need help/feedback [Re: tangerine3] #28124
07/24/2014 11:06 PM
07/24/2014 11:06 PM
Ctrl. FL
beachbound Offline OP
Traveler
beachbound  Offline OP
Traveler
Ctrl. FL
thanks for the feedback - we like to self cater, looking into staying at alibabbas also -

about flight times leaving out of tobago - get there how much in advance to catch flight - 1 hour or so? we have a 1240pm flight from trinidad to ft lauderdale not sure what flight on carribean airlines we should book - maybe the 10am, meaning we leave castara at 8am to arrive arport by 9am for 10a flight - does that sound correct in my thinking?

want to make sure we have enough time to catch flight leaving out of trinidad back home also but dont want to be too early either

do you know if traveleers checks are easy to use in tobago

i keep reading that everyone uses atm's with their credit cards - I dont feel like borrowing money on my cc and paying interest on it - so can one use a regular debit card to withdraw cash from atms? I hear your atm card has to have a certain symbol on the back of the card also in order for it to work - if anyone can shed some light on this subject it would be most appreciative

"We are not human beings going thru a temporary spiritual experience...........We are spiritual beings going thru a temporary human experience"
Re: Tobago - need help/feedback [Re: beachbound] #28125
07/28/2014 12:59 PM
07/28/2014 12:59 PM
Lutz, FL
tangerine3 Offline
Traveler
tangerine3  Offline
Traveler
Lutz, FL
hey michelle just thought of a couple of other little tips when you are in Castara. Make sure you get by to see the women of Castara cooking fresh bread and pastries outside in stone ovens. Walk down the beach to the left of the Naturalist all the way past the fish market and turn to the left and walk up a bit. They only do this one or two days a week and quit at a certain time.

Also to walk to little Castara beach from the Naturalist go to the right of the hotel and up the hill just past the Blue Mango there is a little pathway that cuts down to the road that will take you straight to little Castara beach. That cuts off walking all the way up the hill and around to the road. But if you do walk all the way up the hill there is a good little produce stand thats also sells water and the fresh bread.

[Linked Image]
Re: Tobago - need help/feedback [Re: beachbound] #28126
07/29/2014 07:59 PM
07/29/2014 07:59 PM
David_K Offline
Traveler
David_K  Offline
Traveler
An hour ahead at the airport in Tobago is probably fine, but I always plan to be there 90 minutes ahead of the departure time.

I use ATMs when I travel with my normal ATM card - NOT a credit card. A credit card makes you pay interest and fees right away.
I use my regular ATM that is linked to my credit union checking account in the states - absolutely no different than being at home - except the amount you enter for the withdrawal is the amount of the LOCAL currency.
I get a good exchange rate through my credit union and pay no fees whatsoever.
So, I now usually only bring a couple of hundred dollars in cash with me and use an ATM when I need more.
If you are not sure if your card will work, take extra cash or travelers check this trip, and try using your card and see what happens.
The credit card can always be used as a last resort.

David
Re: Tobago - need help/feedback [Re: beachbound] #28127
08/01/2014 11:51 AM
08/01/2014 11:51 AM
Trinidad/Houston
Trinigerl Offline
Traveler
Trinigerl  Offline
Traveler
Trinidad/Houston
Tobago Is very beautiful, undeveloped with great beaches, excellent snorkeling . Take a trip to Charlottesville, the government run bus systems works great.
Englishman Bay is also great for snorkeling. There is a big grocery store on the main road in Bon Accord. There is not much to do in the night time. The glass bottom boat is a great to see the reefs, you can go out from Pigeon Point or in Speyside .

In Pigeon point you will find a lot of locals selling food, clothes etc. Buccoo area there is also great local food.

Castara and Englishman bay is great but the road is very hilly and curvy driving is easy if you rent a car.

We've stayed at Turtle beach and the old Hilton on sevearal occassion.

Moderated by  Eric_Hill, Eva