pat 43
jazzgal 41
Todd 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
46 registered members (jagmansr, camview, SXMScubaman, Kennys, George1234, Kmon, Brian&Andi, JeanneB, Manpot, WLE, taraavo, KirkB, ColoBoater, RonDon, Whale Tail, jazzgal, ohstate, NoelHall, lbksxm, foreversxm, MrEZgoin, steve74, UncleLuff, road3682, pbd007, snman31, lcote, Fitzhughlaw, richard4th, Donaegada, Matt W, LauraJim, JandIrene, MKGrey, Swifty, Fran, 10 invisible), 891 guests, and 68 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sunday and Monday #282150
05/11/2022 09:02 AM
05/11/2022 09:02 AM
Lake Texoma, Texas
C
cruzer Offline OP
Traveler
cruzer  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Lake Texoma, Texas
I have now achieved a state of utter relaxation. The realization set in Monday at Caribbean Blend (yes! in Phillipsburg of all places) sipping a Ti-Punch while waiting for my grilled mahi-mahi. I am at peace with myself, my life, the world, but not yet the mosquitos. Our pace is slow, and our schedule very flexible, subject mostly to the operating hours of local restaurants.

Sunday rained on and off all day, so nothing was planned and therefore nothing accomplished. Well, one thing. I did manage to get off a trip report. Perfect day. We had intended to go to Nice in Grand Case for lunch, but my nibbling on a palmier, after our standard bakery run for croissants and a baguette, and then getting an early start on Ma Dou Dou, slipped the meal to the evening. Still not being too hungry, I settled for the duck confit which was good as always. Mrs. Cruzer(MC) had the beef carpaccio plate, and a hotel mate at the other table convinced me to try their crispy fried small fish, i.e. fried whole smelt. I always enjoy trying something new--MC wouldn't touch them--and did enjoy these. I'd give them a B. As MC didn't eat her half, the cats enjoyed them later.

Monday was Phillipsburg day, skipping breakfast so as to have room for lunch. Had to stop by the car rental to have them check out a few things. Apparently there's a secret handshake to get the trunk open after opening the car plus our locks don't work, but we kept the car anyway. Parked across the street from the old Rima's Store and then headed to the other side of town to get some CO Q-10 and fancy day cream with SPF for MC. We stopped at one of the bars on Front Street to get our usual Guavaberry Coladas, but they were out of Guavaberry, and the store will probably stay closed for more time. Decided to try an SXM beer, even though I've not heard good reviews. The first few sips were very tasty, but then, the first sip of the day of any beer on a clean palate is always tasty. But, not something I'll be inclined to order again.

Beers in hand and necessities acquired, we stopped by to see Vince at Royal Jewelers. Oh, as we were coming into town I noticed a big ole foo foo ship at the cruise dock, thinking there's be some traffic in town. Guess not as Vince mentioned they'd only had 4 people in the store prior to us. But, the town did exhibit some life. We chatted with Vince and Harry for a while, and then Rahkee entered--I think there's a buzzer that summons her. As Rahkee was showing MC some rings, Vince and Harry threw me to the ground, pinning my arms behind me, angled my chin up, and poured Captain Morgan Spiced Rum down my throat, and before I knew it, MC had a very nice ring.

Next stop is lunch at Caribbean Blend. We usually make a few trips to Phillipsburg, and alternate eating there and Ital's. But I have a hankering for grilled grouper, so here we are. Oh, no! No grouper. So I settle on the grilled mahi mahi and MC selects the grilled conch. They marinate the fish, put it on the grill, and then baste it until done. The mahi mahi was very good, but no grouper. The conch was excellent, and I'm thinking of seeing if I can have half grouper half conch next time.

Back at GCBC it's time to hit the water, as I haven't been in since Friday. The water temp is absolutely perfect. Wanting to go to the room to get my Thermopen to verify the water temp, sand gravity reminds me the room is a good 100 feet away, and so I'll just assume it was 85 degrees. I tried out all 3 bodies of water available--Grand Case Beach, Petite Plage and the pool. All were perfect.

At 6:15ish, as I do every day, I'm out to watch the sunset, camera at the ready and wine in hand. Around 7:15 headed to the room, and finished off the St Agur cheese we picked up a few days ago. Another great day is closed.

One thing that really pleases me here is my sleep. Every night, I'm getting a good 7 hours in, one night was even 9. Usually at home, if I get 2 straight nights of 6-7 hours, I'll be lucky to get 4 on the 3rd night. I might be going too far into the sleep mode now., but I'm sure this is just temporary. Oh, the first few days here I was prone to needing a nap after a filling lunch with more than one drink. So, I cut back on the quantity of food. Nap issue solved.

And for Carol, my next task is to figure out how to post pix. Stay tuned.

SXM Sponsors
Re: Sunday and Monday [Re: cruzer] #282151
05/11/2022 09:07 AM
05/11/2022 09:07 AM
R
RickandJulie Offline
Traveler
RickandJulie  Offline
Traveler
R
We LOVE Caribbean Blend. Always a must stop on our day trips to Phillipsburg.

Re: Sunday and Monday [Re: cruzer] #282152
05/11/2022 09:12 AM
05/11/2022 09:12 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Wow, you make me want to s-l-o-o-w down, just reading that report! smile Good job! Pictures are easy, just click on "use full editor" and attachment manager and voila!!

Carol Hill
Re: Sunday and Monday [Re: cruzer] #282158
05/11/2022 09:39 AM
05/11/2022 09:39 AM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Cruzer,

Pictures really are easy to post. Trust me - if I can do it anyone can. Just follow the directions and you’ll have no problems doing it. My problem is remembering to take the photos in the first place……..

Loving your trip reports - do keep them coming if you’re so inclined. 🙂🙂

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Sunday and Monday [Re: cruzer] #282159
05/11/2022 09:49 AM
05/11/2022 09:49 AM
Connecticut
The_Lurker Offline
Traveler
The_Lurker  Offline
Traveler
Connecticut
Great report!

This April wasn't the first time that I couldn't get a Guavaberry Colada, What's up?
I settled for a BBC. LOL

I would love to try the fried smelt, It's been years since I've had them!! Possibly in Italy. Only a B?

Caribbean Blend sounds good too--
I understand how you have to skip some meals, or drinks, to have room. It's a real dilemma.

Thanks for sharing.

Re: Sunday and Monday [Re: cruzer] #282165
05/11/2022 10:05 AM
05/11/2022 10:05 AM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Online content
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Online Content
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Rumor has it that Guavaberry Emporium will stay closed. Family doesn't want to continue on and was sold to another party that was going to relocate but didn't.