Member Spotlight
joe9090
joe9090
new jersey
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
ecco, OceanDrop, vincent
Who's Online Now
26 registered members (ChiTownHarry, lcote, eightzerobits, Leagle49, fabila, MKGrey, timnboston, jenniboston, deputydog1157, Jaybird, KC2SXM, steve74, Zanshin, Tom, boucharda, Jc1925, tradewinds, Beansbbq, road3682, IWIWSE, WWII, 5 invisible), 953 guests, and 79 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Tuesday & Wednesday, days 8&9 #282235
05/12/2022 09:38 AM
05/12/2022 09:38 AM
Lake Texoma, Texas
C
cruzer Offline OP
Traveler
cruzer  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Lake Texoma, Texas
The weather the past two days has been cloudy and windy, rendering sunsets uneventful, but still worth watching, and my water time has been limited to perhaps an hour a day. We've yet to enter any water not on GCBC property, and will probably continue this practice for the rest of the trip. Going to another beach to swim is just such a hassle and contrary to the principles of The Lazy Life. But, never say never. Actually, I do intend to go to Wai Plage to try some fish rillettes that Beansbbq mentioned, but not to swim.

Tuesday's activities consisted primarily of eating. Picked up a baguette, 2 croissants, and 3 or 4 pastries for breakfast and snacks. For lunch, we headed to Yvettes and were greeted warmly by Gabriel, catching up on happenings over the past year. He remembered that the filet of snapper in a creole sauce was my favorite, as well as fish balls--their improvement upon accras, I wasn't going to have the fish balls due to stomach capacity, but had them, and ate everything else they served me. Mrs. Cruzer had her standard conch with dumplings, and Gabriel plied her with 2 extra johnny cakes. Felix had a break in the cooking action and came out to talk to us. I asked about the puffiness of the johnny cakes and he said baking powder. I'm going to try to perfect mine when I get back. Another excellent meal, and we'll be back again this trip.

Wednesday was another trip to Marigot, skipping breakfast for our planned lunch at Bistro Nu. This day we decided to check out the market. We got there around 10:45 and the parking lot behind the market was full, so we found space in the overflow lot. The fish mongers were closed, if they ever opened, so we headed to the merchandise area. I hadn't seen that many vendors before, but the problem being most of them are what I call Rima resellers. Nothing wrong with Rima products, there's just an overabundence of stands selling them, just like the jewelers on Front Street. Very few artisans and importers. But, it was nice to see a full market. I do sense a revival in commerce.

Yet, Secret Spot is there. The owner is in France, tending to her husband who has major back issues. She's supposed to return by the end of the year, but no guarantees. Yay. I believe what you see is all there is for a while, and while I have too many shirts, too many is not enough. There were a few new designs (for me anyway), just in the wrong color. I figured I can wait until December to put in an order for my preferred color. Keeping my fingers crossed.

We've decided to have a couples massage at GCBC, and decided on Touch of Handz, after all the good press here on TTOL. Wanting to talk in person, we decided to check out their office in Marigot, but it doesn't exist, despite their website's statement otherwise. But, I'm used to this--it is part of the charm of the islands after all. Will connect via email. Also picked up an electronic skeeter zapper for $9 that resembles a tennis racket. Doesn't work on stationary critters, but we're ready for them to start flying. Also tried to get some Euros from the ATM, which claimed my PIN was invalid. I've had this problem on other FWI islands, so am not concerned and will just find a more forgiving machine. I only want 100 Euros.

We then stopped by Le Gout du Vin to pick up a couple of bottles of the Pinot Blanc we'd ordered the previous week. €21 for the 2 bottles, as they are having a 25% off sale through Saturday. Sweet. Plus, we were presented with 2 flutes of champagne. Probably will buy a few this Saturday when we return.

Drove over to the stadium to park for lunch at Bistro Nu. They seem to have cut back on their offerings, but still offer a decent selection. MC wanted beef bourguignon, but all they had was beef cheeks burgundy style. Same thing, just with a single cut of beef instead of other cuts. She had mashed potatoes with her meal I had the Veal chop, in a porcini sauce, with fries. They had duck rillettes on the menu, but I passed due to the stomach capacity affliction I suffer from.

The restaurant has 6 resident cats, the mama, 3 of her first litter, and 2 babies from a second. I managed to give every one of them a bit of my uneaten fat from the chop. The waiter sprang into action, asking which cat(s) we wanted to take home. He's persuasive. The mama and her 3 elder kittens are fixed, so if anyone wants a French speaking cat, check out Bistro Nu.

Dinner was a leftover smoked salmon on bagel washed down with one of the day's Pinot Blanc acquisitions.

Life proceeds slowly, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it.

SXM Sponsors
Re: Tuesday & Wednesday, days 8&9 [Re: cruzer] #282248
05/12/2022 12:39 PM
05/12/2022 12:39 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Had one of those electronic zappers someplace I was, didn't seem to work too well! laugh One advantage of windy conditions, is it normally keeps the little buggers down.

With regard to the French speaking cats, one supposes that if one takes one home, they would learn to speak English very quickly! smile

Enjoy!

Carol Hill