Member Spotlight
LauraTheTshirtGal
LauraTheTshirtGal
Buffalo, NY
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
SXMNorm
Who's Online Now
2 registered members (Manpot, 1 invisible), 877 guests, and 80 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trip Report May 11-15 #282725
05/19/2022 05:13 PM
05/19/2022 05:13 PM
D
DougP Offline OP
Traveler
DougP  Offline OP
Traveler
D
We had a quick 3 night return trip to St Martin before continuing on to Anguilla for a week. This is our 9th trip to St Martin, all to French side.Another couple with us on their first trip.

Arrived at airport in Tulsa 4:30 AM on the 11th. On time 6 AM departure to Atlanta. 48 min connection required some running but made the on time departure for SXM. Flight uneventful, flew economy comfort,service excellent, just wish they would bring back some food options other than crackers etc. Early arrival, just ahead of AA and Air France. Through customs in less than 10 minutes, then on to meet Leslie waiting for us with our car. Leslie never has disappointed us. Off for a 20 min drive with minimal traffic to Grand Case and Le Temps de Cerises Hotel. We have never stayed in the middle of Grand Case, so this was different for us.

Le Temps de Cerises is a small 8 room boutique hotel just past the Catholic church but before Rainbow on the beach side. They offer valet parking during the day, however they have a dedicated parking lot about 100 feet down on the beach side, so valet is not really needed. We had 2 rooms on the lower level right next to the restaurant/bar. We were concerned about noise but it was never a problem as they close things up by 10:30 and we were never bothered. The rooms are small but well laid out and functional. We had the “base” rooms, there are also some rooms about 50% larger and if I was going to stay for a week I would get the larger room. This is a very “French” hotel. I was concerned about the slow / bad service we have experienced at a few French locations over the years. We were all pleasantly surprised that the service from the check in onward was top notch. Restaurant and Bar great, beach great. Front desk will help with any questions. I would absolutely return.

The hotel had a movie night on the beach Wednesday. They set up a giant inflatable screen and had about 100 people for the movie. It was in French and reminded me of how poor my French is, but it was fun.we had great seats on our balcony.

Dining: Had a snack and drinks at bar upon arrival. Great service ,great food.
Wednesday night went to Nice, which is a newer(to us ) restaurant down by the public parking lot. The entry does not look great, but the food was excellent. The atmosphere and presentation on the food not as great it could be, but the food is worth a try
Thursday night went to Le Gastronome, which is near Le Pressoir. This is run by Chantal and Alexandre who ran the restaurant at Grand Case Beach Club for years. This was spectacular and would now be my new favorite restaurant in St Martin.
Friday night on to Ocean 82 which as always was great. Table right by water and excellent.

We went to Parrotte Ville Thursday morning when it opened at 9:30. Our guests are professional photographers and had a great time photographing the beautiful birds. If you have not been you should go. The owner has devoted his life to these birds and you just have to see it. After that we went to get our covid tests for Anguilla. Testing site just outside of Grand Case, slightly before the basketball courts. You must park across the street and walk in past the vet office. In and out in 15 minutes for 4 of us. $30/person cash or credit. It was an antigen test. This was about the only place masks required. Went on to Friar’s Bay for lunch. $10 a person for chairs and umbrellas when eating lunch. Lunch was excellent as always.walked to Happy Bay. Only a few people there.. Road to Friars still full of holes.

Friday went to Breakfast at GCBC. Was not thrilled that they would not let us in the gate , but we parked on the road and went down the public access to the beach.Food was good, service was so-so. They have remodeled the restaurant in the past few years. While it is nice it has lost a little character from the old days. They were understaffed and that was probably the reason for the slow service. Went onward to Anse Marcel beach restaurant. This is our favorite beach restaurant. Great service on the beach, lunch was excellent, beach was free from seaweed. Secrets appeared to be open but did not seem busy.

Saturday morning early breakfast at Le Temps de Cerises and the met Leslie at Ferry terminal to drop off car and then off to Anguilla.

Regards to all
Doug

SXM Sponsors
Re: Trip Report May 11-15 [Re: DougP] #282727
05/19/2022 05:32 PM
05/19/2022 05:32 PM
Kennys Offline
Traveler
Kennys  Offline
Traveler
Hi Doug ,
Glad to hear that you Folks had a wonderful vacation while on St.Maarten . Do enjoy the Anguilla part now .
Best regards.

Re: Trip Report May 11-15 [Re: DougP] #282736
05/19/2022 07:32 PM
05/19/2022 07:32 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Thanks for the report. Would appreciate hearing about your Anguilla trip also..

Carol Hill
Re: Trip Report May 11-15 [Re: DougP] #282747
05/20/2022 07:05 AM
05/20/2022 07:05 AM
Virginia Beach, VA USA
B
barryvabeach Offline
Traveler
barryvabeach  Offline
Traveler
B
Virginia Beach, VA USA
Doug, sounds like a nice stay. We stayed a few doors closer to Rainbow in February, and unfortunately the noise from Rainbow was quite disturbing. I guess at this time of year, things wind down a little earlier.