I am not really good at writing trip reports, but here goes.

This was our second trip to SXM. It is really great to go off season as the Island is quiet and you can generally eat at any restaurant without reservations. The island seemed even quieter this year than last. On the 1 day that we went into Phillipsburg(no ships in port) there was hardly anyone on Front Street and nobody on the boardwalk.

We stayed at Esmeralda and really enjoyed it again. We really like having our own semi private pool.

The week started off with some unsettled weather; it rained quite hard and almost all afternoon on the Sunday. We went to La California for lunch and had great mussels and fries.

Most of the week we had lunch at Baywatch. The food is great and Cheryl and Andy( Cheryl in particular) treat you like family. Between my wife and I we had about 6-7 different dishes and all were great. We also got to try Andy's mussels(they had run out last year when we were there) and can report that they were as good as everyone has said.

For dinners we went to:

Bistrot Caraibes- Really great food. Last year they were close when we were there. This year I e-mailed them and they advised that would be closing on the 4th(the Sunday) so I made a reservation for the Saturday(even though it turned out that a reservation was not necessary).

Talk of the Town-Probably would not have tried it, but for the favourable( We are Canadian so note the "u") comments on this board. My wife and I both ordered ribs and we were a little worried when they came without any sauce.They wer amazing. I do not know what they use as a marinade but the ribs were some of the best ever.

Peg Leg Pub- Great filet

Turtle Pier_- Wednesday lobster night. We shared a 3 lb lobster , creole style. Very good and highly reccommended.

Arahwak in Marigot- In a word, awful. Food was tasteless and the service was indifferent. It was almost as if we were a burden on the waiter by being there.

Spiga- Twice. Simply great food and great service. Lara is a pleasure to deal with and to talk to. It is our favourite restaurant.

Other than1morning in Phillipsburg and 1 morning and a late afternoon shopping in Marigot we spent most of our timerelaxing and walking on Orient Beach.