|
Forums39
Topics41,953
Posts342,072
Members27,641
| |
Most Online5,009 Jul 27th, 2026
|
|
Posts: 1,390
Joined: January 2003
|
|
|
16 members (mahokid, Steve&Rachel, Rumlover, hokiesailor, rglugeth, dcareri, Kennys, Compskier, 2tannedfannies, 7 invisible),
464
guests, and
53
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 603 Likes: 1
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2004
Posts: 603 Likes: 1 |
The day before our bareboat charters, we have, several times, rented a vehicle and taken the road (Elevator road?) that is East of Nanny Cay "up and over the top" of Tortola over to Cane Garden Bay. Several times, I have been unsure the car was going to make it up the incline. This not only scares the newbies, but also, seems to put the fear of God into everyone in the car.
Anyway, this past week, I was watching the Tour de France. The finishing section for one of the Tour's stages had a 24 degree incline. On television, the climb was difficult to fully appreciate. So, I used the "ridegps" web site to try and experience what 24 degrees implies. The incline up Tortola's Elevator road, which seems "straight up", is 23 degrees according to the web site. So, it would be like climbing up Elevator road on a bicycle.
|
|
|
.
|
|
|
|
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 86,275 Likes: 192
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Aug 2000
Posts: 86,275 Likes: 192 |
Wow, thanks for posting! For anyone who has been on that road, that is something! And especially something for couch potatoes like me! 
Carol Hill
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734 Likes: 25
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734 Likes: 25 |
Thanks for that information - it certainly puts that tour de France climb in perspective. I've done the "Elevator" in the rain in a rental with less-than-optimal tire treads and despite 4WD it was a bit nerve-wracking! I've got several picture of the slope, but just like waves at sea they just don't show the true incline!
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,296
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2001
Posts: 1,296 |
I've RUN up that road and will tell you, it is not fun! On a bike, well, that would not be very pleasant... 
|
|
|
|
|