Just returned from my honeymoon. We split the time between Little Dix Bay and Caneel Bay. Major bummer. First LDB. The room was nice, but didn't get any upgrade and we were placed in a room surrounded by kids. Now I heard that kids were allowed on the properties but I didn't expect romper room. I love kids but when I tell you it was over the top I am not exagerating. It was quite a damper(especially at Caneel). I don't get it. How are kids not bored out of their minds at these locations? No TV's, no arcade...

Second, the employees absolutely do not go out of their way to assist. I don't want to hear how they are on "Island time." They are (a good amount anyway) L-A-Z-Y. We went to reserve a romantic dinner on the beach which would've cost a TON of cash at LDB (at least $300). The lady we were reserving with didn't have a menu and told us to go and get one. What??? I was like "Ummm, no, that's YOUR job!" She gave us the most incredulous look - beware if you are white. There is definetely a racist element (again, not everyone, but when it happens it pretty much outweighs the pleasant experiences).

The island and dining: The baths are absolutely all they are cracked up to be. Very cool swim throughs and great snorkeling. A teen tour was there the day we went. That figured.

The rock cafe was a nice find. Good food, good prices, cool environment, cool people and a pianist that sounded exactly like Elton John. Good times.

Chez bamboo - not so hot and way overpriced.

Top of the baths - solid, good pub food and good prices and great location. Mad Dog next door made awesome Pina coladas.

Bath & turtle was ok. good prices and decent food but cruddy ambience.

Diving & Snorkeling: Dove the Rhone. Pretty cool but didn't live up to the hype. The visibilty wasn't very good throughout our stay so I'm sure that contributed to my ho-hum response. But I couldn't help asking "where are all the big fish?" Better sea life in the Keys. Also dove Great dog - nice reefs but again lacking in the fish department (tons of grunts and the like).

Snorkeling at LDB: the reef is shot. Go on the far left side near the spa and work around the rocks out to the mouth of the bay. Some cool caves with nurse sharks and huge porcupine fish. Lots of squid, some turtles, some rays and an octopus.

Caneel:

If I wanted disneyworld I wouldv'e went there! Taking a shuttle bus everywhere packed with brats really stunk. We got to our room and it's two twin beds shoved together. You kidding me? They knew it was our honeymoon. Rather than give us another room they brought in a king. We were in room 101 all the way at the end of the property. I am not exaggerating - your average Comfort Inn offers a nicer room (by far - be prepared, especially after shelling out at least $300 a night). For the price it's an absolute ripoff. I know, you don't go to Caneel to stay in the room. But c'mon. It was dank, dark and had no character. Bugs. A huge dead roach in the middle of the floor when we checked in. Did anyone clean here? The room at LDB blew it out of the water.

The place had beautiful grounds and fantastic beaches. Scott beach was our home. supposedly no kids under 13 but we saw a few. Much better snorkeling than LDB. Tons of turtles and if you swam out a bit the reef really sparkled.

Went to Trunk bay. wow. what is the big deal? VERY overrated. packed with people and the reef is trampled. It looks nice from the bluff when you arrive. I advise keep driving! scott beach is much nicer. we left after an hour.

Food: We loved the equator restaurant. Amazing ambience and view, good food and not too bad on the prices for what you get. The breakfast is a buffet at both places. It's like eating at a Denny's (but not as fresh), not a 4 star "resort."

The bar: there is no bar. There's tables that families pack into with their brats because the food is cheaper than elsewhere. Fine, but after a certain time kids should not be allowed. Jeez, they were unavoidable! 10 PM and I'm still surrounded by munchkins.

Shopped in cruz bay and ate at morgan's mango. Not so hot. Ate a cheap lunch at sun dog cafe one day. pretty good and great prices.

went shopping in Charlotte Amalie one day. not worth it. just go to cruz bay. pretty cool alleys and walkways though.

All in all, pretty beaches and nice grounds. OK for a 10 year anniversary or something when you have your own brats. Avoid if on honeymoon. TRUST ME. I'm really easy to please and it was a dissapointment. I wouldn't have gone (or i would've rented a villa fer shure) if I had known. I wouldn't go back to either (but I'd pick LDB if i had to).

Bottom line: You don't get what you paid for.

frown

-S