pat 42
Todd 40
jazzgal 40
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
9 registered members (Todd_Melinda_K, marybeth, mark37, Fitzhughlaw, Todd, BaardJ, 3 invisible), 751 guests, and 77 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Thurs/Fri/Sat #288561
09/11/2022 08:32 AM
09/11/2022 08:32 AM
Lake Texoma, Texas
C
cruzer Offline OP
Traveler
cruzer  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Lake Texoma, Texas
I'm pretty sure that the lack of activity around here is seasonal, with GCBC being less than half full and many restaurants closed for their annual shut down. Seems to be more French people than usual, but this is France after all. Daily highs push 90 and the humidity is also high, with afternoon dew points seemingly stuck at 79. I'm probably spending 4 hours a day in the water, and the water temperature is fantastic--about 85-87 outside the shallows. I'm not really doing a lot, but enjoying the hell out of it.

One of our neighbors left yesterday bequeathing us some 7 bottles of beer, a decent bottle of chardonnay, and bottles of balsamic vinegar and avocado oil. We now have something to dip our leftover baguette from breakfast in. Simple things in life can be so enjoyable.

Today we'll have our first meal at Sunset Cafe as the bouchot muscles flew in yesterday (and, boy, are their shells tired). We're each reserved an order. The Bar staff is excellent, very friendly and efficient. One of the bar tenders noticed I like Ti-Punch, and an occasional Captain Morgan's Spiced Rum, and suggested I use Captain Morgans in my Ti-Punch instead. That's now my drink of choice at the bar--well that and the occasional BBC.

The cats have more or less settled into a routine with us. When I first get up, turning on only the bathroom light so as to not disturb Mrs. Cruzer, I shortly hear a meek meow and let Larimar in for a bite. Pretty soon comes a loud and boisterous NOWWWW, with Pablo demanding food. Finally, I fill up a bowl with milk and satisfy the Goddess, Picasso. BTW, the Wrights feed these cats twice a day so they aren't starving, especially when a bunch of crazy cat people check in.

We continue with one main meal a day. Thursday, we went to Hercule's Creole Restaurant, and once again, Hercule wasn't there. Maybe next time. I'm pretty sure I shocked the waitress, first when I asked if they had griot, and then again when I ordered pikliz and banan pez as accompaniments. I'm sure part of the surprise was explained by the over 1 hour wait for my meal, as I doubt they had much of the meal pre-prepared. I still think it was worth the wait, but would be more manageable in less oppressive weather. Oh, I tried the Haitian beer--Prestige. Meh, closer to SXM beer than anything else. As usual, another fine meal, especially the tanya accras.

Friday was Mrs. C's birthday so we decided to try Pressoir after a long absence. We each elected the prix fixe meal, Mrs. C choosing the Lobster bisque and lobster medallions, and I selected the egg parfait and Iberian Pluma, with each of us opting for the chocolate dessert. The amuse bouche was another lobster dish, and the three different butters were a nice touch.

The preparation and presentation of the dishes were a work of art that probably exceeded my ability to fully appreciate them. None of the dishes wowed us, but we did enjoy the meal. The price seemed a bit steep at $200 including a glass of wine each and 2 bottles of still water. I'm sure we'll be back.

Yesterday we went to Marigot early in order to get some bull foot soup for one of our security guards, and some boudin and saltfish patties for me. Also picked up some candies from Miss Nita and had a bowl of conch soup at Rose Marys. Dinner was beef carpaccio for Mrs C and Tuna Tartare for me at Nice. The fries were especially tasty--nice and crisp on the outside and fully salted--perhaps too much for folks other than me. These dishes are more subdued than others we've had, with more emphasis on the protein rather than the "toppings". A nice change of pace. Oh, and for the first time this trip--no wine with a non-breakfast meal. Maybe our livers are approaching saturation, or maybe it was that previously mentioned bottle of chardonnay.

Not trying to start a tipping discussion, but twice I've noticed the option to add a tip to the bill on credit card transactions. Since, for the most part, I treat the tip as included on the French side--lolos and Yvettes being notable exceptions--and pay cash for the Trinkgeld (to use the German word) I'm curious/suspicious of this change. In fact, the Nice charge slip specifically stated that service is not included which is a new "charge" as I don't recall the statement appearing before this trip. I suppose it could be a disguised price hike, or, I suppose my imagination could just be over-active.

Attached Files IMG_0609.jpgIMG_0608.jpgIMG_0603.jpgIMG_0578.jpgIMG_0593.jpgIMG_0559.jpg
SXM Sponsors
Re: Thurs/Fri/Sat [Re: cruzer] #288562
09/11/2022 08:50 AM
09/11/2022 08:50 AM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
Very nice! Thank you for sharing.

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Thurs/Fri/Sat [Re: cruzer] #288563
09/11/2022 08:53 AM
09/11/2022 08:53 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Thanks for the report. How much was the prix fix meal at Pressoir? It must have been pretty steep, considering you only had two glasses of wine. And yes, that is annoying, being asked for a tip on the French side. We leave a few bucks in cash and call it a day.

Carol Hill
Re: Thurs/Fri/Sat [Re: cruzer] #288567
09/11/2022 10:18 AM
09/11/2022 10:18 AM
Lake Texoma, Texas
C
cruzer Offline OP
Traveler
cruzer  Offline OP
Traveler
C
Lake Texoma, Texas
Carol, it was 69 Euros.

Re: Thurs/Fri/Sat [Re: Carol_Hill] #288569
09/11/2022 10:48 AM
09/11/2022 10:48 AM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Offline
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Offline
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Yes being asked for a tip on French side is a turn off. I remember years ago I was chased down the beach by our server at Bikini (old one) for not leaving enough tip for her. I was so shocked i flipper her a five and never returned.

Re: Thurs/Fri/Sat [Re: cruzer] #288572
09/11/2022 12:22 PM
09/11/2022 12:22 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Ok, thanks.

Carol Hill
Re: Thurs/Fri/Sat [Re: cruzer] #288578
09/11/2022 06:38 PM
09/11/2022 06:38 PM
Middle Tennessee
T
TravelHat Offline
Traveler
TravelHat  Offline
Traveler
T
Middle Tennessee
That’s one of my favorite all time sunset pics. It looks like the clouds are making “heart hands”