Member Spotlight
bdeeley
bdeeley
United States of America
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
5 registered members (IWIWSE, Mikel, Jeff thorton, 2 invisible), 1,028 guests, and 55 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
An amazing place…… #290668
11/06/2022 05:39 PM
11/06/2022 05:39 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline OP
Traveler
pat  Offline OP
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.

This island never ceases to surprise me, and yes, sometimes even amazes me. We’ve been talking to peeps about the island and hearing all kinds of weather forecasts for the next few days, and surprisingly, some of them have actually been accurate. Never have I ever, over all our trips, seen the kind of rain we’ve had off and on all day. The amazing thing is they seem to have gotten it right and the word we’ve been hearing is this might go on through Monday.

Friday was an overcast kind of day but not enough to cause you to avoid the beaches or pools. We went out to dinner and had our fingers crossed the rains would hold off and thankfully, they did. But in the wee small hours of the morning I was awoken by an unrecognizable sound. Once fully awakened I realized it was the wind driven rain hitting our roof with an intensity I couldn’t believe. And just as quickly as it happened it was done again. When we finally awoke this morning you’d have been hard-pressed to believe it rained at all but that type of passing shower happened several times during the night.

Early Saturday morning the skies looked a little iffy but eventually they brightened and it started to look like a perfect beach day. But don’t get too excited because it didn’t last long. Just as we were preparing to head out to the grocery store, another of those downpours occurred just like the night before. So much for the grocery store for now. I feel bad for those who are leaving the island about now. It’s gonna be a damp boarding process, for sure. Good luck to the Fabis and the Naudes to mention but a few I know who are leaving soon.

So dinner last night - we went to Sublime and had great meals and incredibly attentive service, not to mention catching up with the Lovely Lela whom we hadn’t seen since April. They still offer the two for one drinks from 5:00 to 7:00 plus I believe a 30% discount on soups, salads and apps but please don’t quote me on those numbers. John had lamb sliders and rack of lamb with garlic mashed potatoes and even managed to have dessert too while I had onion soup and the lobster tail special. All were delicious but I have to say, as good as the lobster was, and it truly was, I felt it was a rather small serving for the price. Not complaining - just sayin’……and I’d order it again.

And as I’m writing, the rain has dissipated and the skies are brightening again and people are once more walking the beach but no swimmers as the waves are really slamming the beach right now. This, too, will pass I’m sure. We may get to the store yet and then on to Zee Best for some eat-in dinner possibilities and pastries for the mornings.

So we did finally get out. The road in and out of here has serious flooding issues any time it rains and today is no exception. Glad we were able to get a break in the rain as it allowed us to pick up a few fresh pastries for tomorrow’s breakfast and salad and quiche for dinner. Yummy, all of it and now it’s pouring. Again!!

Dinner was very good but…….. rain, rain, go away. Please……..!!

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
SXM Sponsors
Re: An amazing place…… [Re: pat] #290671
11/06/2022 06:36 PM
11/06/2022 06:36 PM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
I remember a trip to SXM in November, YEARS ago, when it poured rain for like 6 days in a row. Surely hope that doesn't happen to you!! What made it worse was we were staying at Club O, so no TV and no internet!! LOL! That was the first time we have ever been happy to go home!

Glad you were able to at least get out and re-supply!! Hopefully tomorrow looks up. Take care!

Carol Hill
Re: An amazing place…… [Re: pat] #290672
11/06/2022 06:39 PM
11/06/2022 06:39 PM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Glad you are out and getting around.

J.D.
Re: An amazing place…… [Re: pat] #290673
11/06/2022 06:53 PM
11/06/2022 06:53 PM
Ontario Canada
Whale Tail Offline
Traveler
Whale Tail  Offline
Traveler
Ontario Canada
Just love reading your reports, you have a gift.

Re: An amazing place…… [Re: pat] #290674
11/06/2022 07:09 PM
11/06/2022 07:09 PM
Maryland/DC Metro
BeachKitten Offline
Traveler
BeachKitten  Offline
Traveler
Maryland/DC Metro
We love Kara's quiche! Also, the chicken curry salad and couscous with veggies that they make at Zee Best bakery. wink

"It is good to do nothing all day, and then to rest" wink