Member Spotlight
RickG
RickG
St. John, USVI
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
bvibev, jimma4191
Who's Online Now
54 registered members (tmsxmsails, lcote, pandpfromcanada, JohnW, JerseyPal, Rbailey, SXMBND, Eva, duckfat, Harleyk, Uksimonusa, John, Ackman, bostonbob, fabila, geomo, bbeach, ndfaninnc, Fran, charlie, ydrwrb1, Matt W, boucharda, KirkB, WWII, tbaybob, JeanneB, Jeannius, Jaybird, Kennys, TC42, Kevin_B, Billtjw, GeorgeC1, BillDauterive, Sea_Skyman, Kmon, MKGrey, deputydog1157, pburke40, marisol, davidandsusannj, cabokid, 11 invisible), 754 guests, and 76 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Sicily #294414
01/23/2023 10:12 AM
01/23/2023 10:12 AM
new jersey
joe9090 Offline OP
Traveler
joe9090  Offline OP
Traveler
new jersey
Hi everyone.
Needing some info for another trip to Italy but this time we want to go to Sicily for about 5 days starting in Catania. Do we rent a car or not? Are their trains that go to the cities? We will be renting a VERBO apartment somewhere around Catania .Planning to fly to Venice then taking train to Florence for a few days. Then fly to Catania for about 5 days doing day trips then fly back to Rome for about 3 days then home.

All info and suggestions welcome. Thank you.
Carolyn

Sponsors
Re: Sicily [Re: joe9090] #294618
01/26/2023 05:19 PM
01/26/2023 05:19 PM
Virginia wishing STJ
TomB Offline
Traveler
TomB  Offline
Traveler
Virginia wishing STJ
Carolyn

I cannot not answer your question on "should" or "should not" rent a vehicle in Sicily. However, I will say the smaller the vehicle the better. I have driven all over Italy, but not Sicily, and never had a problem driving until… it is time to park. If you are going with VRBO make sure your place has a parking spot onsite or close. Finding a spot on the street can be tough! Make sure you brush up on your parallel parking skills.

Of course, driving in the cities demands a little more of the operator than cruising around the island. That is no different than any other location in the world. The only problem is you are in new and unknown territory. We rely on Google Maps and Wi-Fi. While at the hotel/rental we enter our destinations for the day, and it downloads the maps, and we are off. For some reason if the GPS gets lost or goes stupid… well that is a stop for a snack and Wi-Fi to reload.

We will be in Sicily at the end of April and the beginning of May for two weeks. This is our first trip that we did not plan. It is us and 8 other couples touring the island with a chef in our local town who grew up in Sicily and all his family is still there. We are going with two other couples we have travelled with so we decided to fly in 4 days early and got a villa close to the sea and we will just chill. No car required. There is a village about a ½ mile away so we will get some exercise getting supplies.

Good luck on your adventure.

Oh yeah – I did survive driving in Malta, but it was challenging especially with the British cars and road system.

“Every time I open a bottle of wine, it is an amazing trip somewhere!” José Andrés
Re: Sicily [Re: TomB] #294973
02/01/2023 01:12 PM
02/01/2023 01:12 PM
new jersey
joe9090 Offline OP
Traveler
joe9090  Offline OP
Traveler
new jersey
Thank you so much. Just now trying to decide where to rent our VERBO apartment as i'm not really sure of the different areas.
So confusing.
Carolyn

Moderated by  Eric_Hill