Member Spotlight
Fitzhughlaw
Fitzhughlaw
Brookline, Massachusetts and Mahoe Bay, VG
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
admiralmoon, MichaelBritz
Who's Online Now
15 registered members (BHK, deliveryskipper, steve74, MACC60, Whale Tail, Fitzhughlaw, YachtReprise, WWII, SXMScubaman, sxm1986, Lionsail, hokiesailor, 3 invisible), 702 guests, and 112 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Friday trip report #307669
10/28/2023 08:26 AM
10/28/2023 08:26 AM
Yonkers, NY
fabila Offline OP
Traveler
fabila  Offline OP
Traveler
Yonkers, NY
Woke up to clouds, wind and an angry ocean.  We had a short amount of time at the pool before winds got stronger and rain pushed us indoors. Rain continued for the rest of the day and evening. 

Lunch was prepared on site, simple and light.  With the rain and wind we decided to cancel our reservation to Bamboo and instead made one at Roma in Maho. Good decision as we had a wonderful meal and did not have to venture from from Beachside Villas.

The ambience is beautiful from the outside as well as inside. A nice sized bar with several different indoor dining areas as well as outside tables are at your disposal. 

While the restaurant is open air, they have 4 large air conditioners in the room where we dined as well as ceiling fans making for a very comfortable dining experience.

Happy hour is from 5-7 although we didn’t make it in time. 

For our table of seven, we received two bread baskets filled with small round rolls, focaccia and bread sticks.  A server came around with a very robust extra virgin olive oil he added to our small plates for us to dip the bread in. 

After ordering cocktails we started with a Caesar salad.  I mentioned we were going to share so they split it into two bowls in the kitchen before serving us. Delighted they did that instead of me having to separate and maybe make a mess on the table. I appreciated all the extra attention to details with their service. The Caesar was very good, shaved parm pieces, croutons in a creamy garlic dressing. 

Our table was cleaned in between courses, crumbs removed, wet areas wiped down cutlery replaced. Very stellar service from greeting us and also as we departed.

Entrees were roasted Pumpkin agnolotti – butter-sage, parmasean, aged balsamic drops for me. Heavenly pillows of pasta with the pumpkin filling and light sauce with the glaze was divine. David chose the Linguine Vongole, aglio & olio with baby clams.  He enjoyed it to the last forkful.

Two in our party opted for the Carbonara with Rigatoni and crispy guanciale.  Loved it. The other two had the veal and chicken parmigiana.  Both were huge pieces of chicken which they could not finish.  As they depart tomorrow both agreed it was the best meal of the trip. Lastly one ate the salmon filet, pistachio cranberry crumble in a lemon buerre blanc. We all were extremely pleased with our meals and the service.  Complimentary shots of Limoncello were offered which we kindly accepted. 

Some of us ate dessert. Mine was the Semifreddo which was light and refreshing.  One large scoop of Crunchy almond-carmel gelato with amaretto sauce.  Three in our party ate the chocolate mousse served with a biscotti.  They said it was rich and delicious.

No grat or service charge added to bill. 

Before leaving Marco showed us Mr Chow telling us the food was very good. He highly recommended the Pad Thai. I love Asian food so hoping to get there.

Carol - they had a Bo bun salad on the menu.

Attached Files photo-output.jpegphoto-output.jpegIMG_4962.jpegIMG_4955.jpegIMG_4954.jpeg
SXM Sponsors
Re: Friday trip report [Re: fabila] #307671
10/28/2023 08:58 AM
10/28/2023 08:58 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Thanks for the report and the pictures. That's kind of interesting--the plates had that printed on them, or it was in sauce or something? Glad you enjoyed it, and it definitely seems like a good decision not to go to Bamboo House when there was such bad weather.

Thanks for the note regarding Mr. Chou. I saw a menu early on and there was nothing on it that I wanted, but it was a very small menu. Hopefully we will have time to get there next time.

Hope the weather improves for you.

Carol Hill
Re: Friday trip report [Re: Carol_Hill] #307680
10/28/2023 09:13 AM
10/28/2023 09:13 AM
Yonkers, NY
fabila Offline OP
Traveler
fabila  Offline OP
Traveler
Yonkers, NY
No Carol I post edited the photos to add the entree names. I am an Instagrammer with a good following so I used the photos I post there.

Mr Chow had Chicken nem, bao buns, general Tso chicken, beef in black pepper sauce. Definitely food in my wheel house.

Re: Friday trip report [Re: fabila] #307681
10/28/2023 09:15 AM
10/28/2023 09:15 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Louise--Oh, sorry!! Good job!

Thanks for the Mr. Chow update. Will need to look for a menu online before we come next time.

Carol Hill
Re: Friday trip report [Re: fabila] #307682
10/28/2023 09:27 AM
10/28/2023 09:27 AM
Connecticut
The_Lurker Offline
Traveler
The_Lurker  Offline
Traveler
Connecticut
Looks very good! The pasta is loaded with clams!!!
Hopefully, we will get there this visit.

Re: Friday trip report [Re: fabila] #307692
10/28/2023 10:46 AM
10/28/2023 10:46 AM
Boynton Beach, FL
EdB Offline
Traveler
EdB  Offline
Traveler
Boynton Beach, FL
Last March, we enjoyed both Roma and Mr. Chow. Food and service were both great. And for us, staying at LaPlage, it's a very easy dinner choice without having to get into the car!!!

Re: Friday trip report [Re: fabila] #307693
10/28/2023 10:48 AM
10/28/2023 10:48 AM
Auburn, WA
SXMScubaman Online content
Traveler
SXMScubaman  Online Content
Traveler
Auburn, WA
Roma is one of our favorites. Marco runs a tight ship and expects the most out of his servers. Food is always top notch. Glad you enjoyed it. Has he completed the back area across from the restrooms?