We just got back from a wonderful 10 day land based trip to Tortola, Peter Island, and Guana Island. Will try to hit the highlights but if anyone has any questions please do not hesitate to ask.
AMERICAN AIRLINES:
Flight from BWI to San Juan to Tortola—was actually smooth and uneventful.
Flight from Tortola to San Juan to BWI—was more typical. We arrived approximately 1 hour and 45 minutes prior to our flight. There were about 8 people in front of us to check in. After about and hour and a half (15minutes before departure) we reach the desk and were told that the aircraft has 64 seats and we were the 63rd and 64th persons to check in, however the pilot determined because of weight they were only taking 54 people. We had to fly stand by and wait for the pilot to determine if he could take any more passengers. Unsure of the science behind it (nobody or their carry on’s were weighed) it was determined that we all could get onto that flight. Needless to say we got off late, and our already tight connection got smaller. We had approximately 1 hour to de plane, go through immigration, collect our luggage, go through customs, re check our luggage, then thru security and on to the plane. We arrived at the gate with about 3 minutes to spare—and the most amazing feat was that our luggage actually made it to BWI.

TORTOLA
Upon arrival to Beef Island the sun felt so warm and comforting (especially after leaving rain and 30 degrees F). Immigration and customs was a breeze. As we left the terminal to find a taxi—and getting tired of squinting into the bright sun, I realized I left my brand new prescription sun glasses home. My wife knew we had arrived in the islands as I didn’t even flinch (No worries mon)—she happen to bring a spare pair of non prescriptions Revo’s with her and I accepted the fact that she would be my seeing eye dog.
Looking for a taxi driver to take us to the Tamarind Club (the place of our first two nights stay) we engaged the services of a man by the name of Albert Penn. Before we even leave we find out he is the husband of a woman we know who works on Peter Island. (Iris—she is one of the cooks). We used Albert for 3 days—he is a reliable and honest man who carted us around (pretty much at our beckon call) for less than it would cost for a car rental. (I did not want to be drinking and driving at night).
The Tamarind Club was a wonderful stay for 2 days. Most everyone staying there was either at the front end or the back end of their bare boating charter. The new owners have already begun to make great cosmetic changes to the place. The bar alone is worth the visit. Everything here is low key—check in occurred while sitting at the bar drinking up a complimentary rum punch made by the bartender Dalton. They we still serving lunch so we continued to drink at the bar and ordered Roti. The food was absolutely delicious.
The rooms were simple and clean with A/C and a ceiling fan. Complimentary continental breakfast is offered each morning as well as a hot breakfast menu. The pool was redone and was refreshing, and even had a swim up bar. Josiah Bay is an easy 10 minute walk down the hill—if you are into surfing this is the beach for you.
Our first night we ate at Brandywine Bay Restaurant. So much has been said already about this place that I don’t believe I could do it justice by description alone, you all are just going to have to try it yourself. It was great seeing Davide and Cele and was happy they could share some time as well as some grappa with us at the end of the evening. We are still talking about Davide’s own creation of mussels cooked in sake finished with crème fresh wasabi.
Our first full day in the BVI we took Fly-BVI to Anegada for the day. For a $125 a person we got a round trip flight (9AM-4PM) and a Lobster Lunch at the Big Bamboo.
While waiting to board our plane there was one other couple going with us. It was apparent to me they were not tourist and most likely living here. I introduced myself and to my surprise found that they were the managers (Roger & Bridgett) of Guana Island. What a fun couple—we hit it off right of way –and to their surprise when they realized we were staying with them the following week. We enjoyed lunch with them, and also met them later in the day at the Anegada Reef Hotel. We spent the morning snorkeling off Loblolly Beach and it was fantastic. There were only about 6 people on the beach the entire morning. After lunch we decided to get out, meet some of the locals and take a tour of the island. We engaged the services of a young lady named Pat, who had her 4 year old daughter with her, and a beat up old taxi van. What a tour we had!! She showed us her entire island, with local stories, history, and personal introductions to her friends and family members around town. There is no doubt in our minds that we will be back to stay on that island. We will take Davide’s advice and stay at the Anegada Reef Hotel.
The flight back home was topped off with fly tour over Guana Island so that we could see the island that we would be staying on later in the week. That evening we met with fellow TTOL members at Spaghetti Junction. What a great evening! Thanks to Tricia and Tommy (TriciaH) for setting up the evening. The owner John was not there, but his wife was and they provided complimentary wine thanking us for our kind comments on TTOL. The food was great, the service was great, and the new setting (although not on the water) is absolutely beautiful.
Here are some pictures to go with the trip:
http://community.webshots.com/album/231216154HkKfpU
Part 2 to follow
Stan & Karen

Got a Caribbean Soul I can barely control and some Chesapeake Bay hidden here in my heart.
[Linked Image]
[/url]