Member Spotlight
scott1269
scott1269
Dover, NH
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
paradissatravel, SXMCONNECTION
Who's Online Now
26 registered members (MACC60, lbksxm, fabila, eightzerobits, sunshine44, BlueMoc, BillDauterive, Beansbbq, bran, Tom, wct49, candu, CdnCouple, Kennys, SXMBND, CaribbeanCanadians, Fletch, Manpot, OllieEh, Midsouth, 6 invisible), 982 guests, and 179 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
starting itineray day 1 possible? #314453
02/28/2024 10:29 AM
02/28/2024 10:29 AM
Lutz, FL
tangerine3 Offline OP
Traveler
tangerine3  Offline OP
Traveler
Lutz, FL
starting to look at map and starting itinerary for upcoming charter and was reading The Moorings brochure they have a time frame of it taking 5-6 hrs to get from base to Leverick Bay is that true? For our first day do you think this is too much?

day/night 1: Leave marina go to Virgin Gorda, Baths, head up to kodiak queen dive, head over to Leverick bay for jumbie show bbq (if have time stop in savanah bay nice cove)

We will have a captain. thanks

[Linked Image]
BVI Sponsors
Re: starting itineray day 1 possible? [Re: tangerine3] #314454
02/28/2024 10:42 AM
02/28/2024 10:42 AM
Redmond, WA
MrEZgoin Online content
Traveler
MrEZgoin  Online Content
Traveler
Redmond, WA
5-6 hours without the stops seem excessively conservative. What kind of boat?

With 2 stops it's ambitious, biggest challenge is getting off the dock in a timely manner. Are you sleeping aboard the night before?

M4000 "Lio Kai"
Re: starting itineray day 1 possible? [Re: tangerine3] #314457
02/28/2024 11:06 AM
02/28/2024 11:06 AM
GA/NC
GeorgeC1 Offline
Traveler
GeorgeC1  Offline
Traveler
GA/NC
That’s a very ambitious day one itinerary. You did not mention if you were a sleepaboard or not. If a sleepaboard plan on being off the dock at 10am. If not plan 2 pm. We can give you better advice if you also tell us the type of boat. Big difference between a power cat and sailboat. Personally I find everyone is tired on day one from traveling. I plan nothing more than a sail to Norman or Cooper. Tired grumpy people don’t make for a good start.

Re: starting itineray day 1 possible? [Re: tangerine3] #314458
02/28/2024 11:40 AM
02/28/2024 11:40 AM
Middleburg, VA
cwoody Offline
Traveler
cwoody  Offline
Traveler
Middleburg, VA
So about 13 nm miles direct from Roadtown to North sound.
We have done this (day one) trip before with a stop at the Dogs.
We motored up to the Dogs and sailed the rest of the way. Arrived in NS around 1 or 2pm

Chuck W.

Re: starting itineray day 1 possible? [Re: cwoody] #314471
02/28/2024 04:32 PM
02/28/2024 04:32 PM
Lutz, FL
tangerine3 Offline OP
Traveler
tangerine3  Offline OP
Traveler
Lutz, FL
we will be sleep aboard, already will have provisions, moorings 4500 club non power boat, only reason I'm trying to do LB the 1st day is the Jumbie BBQ at leverick our first night is a Friday. Here is ALL what we want to do for only a 5 night charter ha ha any suggestions appreciated.

day/night 1: Leave marina go to Virgin Gorda, Baths, head up to kodiak queen dive, head over to Leverick bay for jumbie show bbq (if have time stop in savanah bay nice cove)

Day/night 2: Snorkel/dive The dogs, Trellis Bay (aragorns studio), head over to cooper island for happy hour/night (if time Monkey pt.)

Day/night 3: salt island rhone cemetery (if still there IDK), Peter island snorkel with turtles, Norman island snorkel caves, hike, can dive original Willy T's stay night

Day/night 4: snorkel The Indians, if time smugglers cove, cane garden bay callwoods dist, hang out, spend night

Day/night 5: Jost Van Dyke bubbly pool, beeline bar, moor either great harbor or little harbor, taxi around to foxys, white bay, snorkel by ivans, dinner at sydneys or Ali Babas (Ivans has trivia night)

After reading this again I'm laughing this is a lot!

Don't know if all that is actually doable but at least we have an idea for the skipper. Let me know what you think LOL

[Linked Image]
Re: starting itineray day 1 possible? [Re: tangerine3] #314501
02/29/2024 08:51 AM
02/29/2024 08:51 AM
Earth. Occasionally above.
S
Skytrucker Offline
Traveler
Skytrucker  Offline
Traveler
S
Earth. Occasionally above.
Tangerine, good to see you’re on a 5-day only! I’m doing a similar trip in June, but I’ll do 2- 5day laps with different crew, returning to Road Town in the middle to switch (my wife and are are taking 10 days with LOTS of friends and family)
It’s an ambitious itinerary, but if you get going early, I doubt it’ll end up a death march. I’ve done that same day starting from Cooper, or Norman, which isn’t THAT different really than going from Tortola…and The fact that you’ll have a capt on board probably allows slightly longer sails -since everyone will be enjoying the sail rather than trying to relax WHILE keeping tabs on the boat.
In almost every case though, try not to cram too much in, or at least be willing to skip something or shorten the sailing day…
I’ve come to the conclusion that when you get away from the traditional 7 or more day itineraries, you’re more likely to have to let some things go in the interest of comfort, and crew sanity.

-

There’s nothing, absolutely nothing, half so much worth doing as simply messing about in boats.
Re: starting itineray day 1 possible? [Re: tangerine3] #314641
03/02/2024 02:48 PM
03/02/2024 02:48 PM
I
Instigator Offline
Traveler
Instigator  Offline
Traveler
I
There is no way you will get all that done in a sail cat in 5 days. My advise, plan to move the boat from one overnight mooring to the next each day with one stop already ng the way each day. That will be a challenge within itself.

Re: starting itineray day 1 possible? [Re: Skytrucker] #314692
03/03/2024 02:04 AM
03/03/2024 02:04 AM
Lutz, FL
tangerine3 Offline OP
Traveler
tangerine3  Offline OP
Traveler
Lutz, FL
Originally Posted by Skytrucker
Tangerine, good to see you’re on a 5-day only! I’m doing a similar trip in June, but I’ll do 2- 5day laps with different crew, returning to Road Town in the middle to switch (my wife and are are taking 10 days with LOTS of friends and family)
It’s an ambitious itinerary, but if you get going early, I doubt it’ll end up a death march. I’ve done that same day starting from Cooper, or Norman, which isn’t THAT different really than going from Tortola…and The fact that you’ll have a capt on board probably allows slightly longer sails -since everyone will be enjoying the sail rather than trying to relax WHILE keeping tabs on the boat.
In almost every case though, try not to cram too much in, or at least be willing to skip something or shorten the sailing day…
I’ve come to the conclusion that when you get away from the traditional 7 or more day itineraries, you’re more likely to have to let some things go in the interest of comfort, and crew sanity.

Yeah I realize this now I'm going to let the captain decide and just let the wind and experience guide us we will be fine, now just reading about boaty balls sounds like a pain in the [censored]!

[Linked Image]
Re: starting itineray day 1 possible? [Re: tangerine3] #315249
03/10/2024 03:14 AM
03/10/2024 03:14 AM
M
MaeganLee Offline
MaeganLee  Offline
M
The Moorings brochure is usually pretty accurate, so if they say it takes 5-6 hours from base to Leverick Bay, that's a good estimate to go by. It might seem like a lot for the first day, especially considering you want to explore the Baths, do the Kodiak Queen dive, and possibly stop at Savannah Bay before hitting the jumbie show BBQ at Leverick Bay. Having a captain is a big plus; they can provide valuable input on timing and logistics to make sure you enjoy each spot without feeling rushed. Maybe check in with them to see what's feasible so you can make the most of your day. Safe travels and enjoy every moment!

Re: starting itineray day 1 possible? [Re: tangerine3] #315254
03/10/2024 07:27 AM
03/10/2024 07:27 AM
S
steve74 Offline
Traveler
steve74  Offline
Traveler
S
I know that you don't have a lot of time, but I'd also consider how your crew may respond to an ambitious start after travel. My wife and youngest daughter need to ease into it, and I've learned this lesson the hard way. If we push too hard early, before they get their sea legs, they feel run down and nauseous for days. For what it is worth, I'd watch the weather and avoid beating into it for too long that first day. Then, I'd ensure that they have some time that afternoon to either float off the back or sit by the pool and relax to recover from traveling. This will make a difference for days 2 to 5!

It seems like you have already come to this conclusion, but there is no way to do everything in this first trip. We had 9 days on our first trip years ago, and I stubbornly tried. However, the "push" took the fun out of it for my wife, and I almost ruined it for her in a way that we wouldn't have had a second trip. Fortunately, I caught on about day 6 or 7 and salvaged enough to come back the next year and do some more things we hadn't tried - and this has continued since 2016.

One more thing, be polite to the dock staff at Moorings and take some $5s, $10s, and $20s to tip (use judgment based on what they do / you need). Tips make a difference for them, so they really appreciate a smile, a thank you, and a $10. This helps them, and in our experience, it will help you get things in order quicker so you can spend more time on the water. Hopefully your captain will handle the coordination of readying the boat, but I wanted to mention this just in case.

Enjoy your trip!