Member Spotlight
RonDon
RonDon
Rhode Island
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
paradissatravel, SXMCONNECTION
Who's Online Now
7 registered members (WWII, GeorgeC1, fabila, 706jim, steve74, 2 invisible), 914 guests, and 153 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Orient Bay #315632
03/14/2024 09:29 PM
03/14/2024 09:29 PM
Bucks County PA
JohnB Offline OP
Traveler
JohnB  Offline OP
Traveler
Bucks County PA
First trip report in years! After seeing how busy Orient Bay is this year I wanted to give a little heads up about what’s happening. This is our longest trip yet and its great to see old friends who visit in our usual time and making new ones too. Some cloudy weather and a day of rain in late January the rest of our time was low wind and hot. For the past 15 years we always rent in the village or BO as the locals call it. This year we had a very nice 2 story 2 bedroom that fit us perfectly. The townhouse backed up to the nature preserve so the combination of low wind and wet weather I was eaten alive the first 2 weeks but my friend who owns the bodega turned me on to Tiger Balm and fixed me good.
. The beach is the best we have seen in years only 2 different days of sargassum and it cleared up quickly. Sunday the beach is mobbed the rest of the week it depends on how many ships and day tours are in port. Club Orient is the busiest since Irma and the front row is claimed by 7:30 – 8:00 some days all chairs were all gone by 11. The new rules that all claimed chairs must be occupied by 10 am is a good one. I know a few people who paid for their friends before they arrived so they didn’t lose their place. Our other favorite beach is Wai we love JR and treats us great. Orange Fever is another but the day we went he was trying to do it with just one helper and he was overwhelmed. Didn’t try any of the others this trip.
Restaurants in the village were super busy most nights. I recommend reservations if you want a certain place after 7 pm so you don’t get disappointed. When we are staying long term, we only go out maybe 2 nights a week so we don’t break the bank and shy away from the more expensive ones. Our go to places are Le Piment, Le Petit Bistro, Sao, and tried the new Irish Pub. All were good and service is such a pleasure the French really know how to do it. I have noticed since Irma that a lot of taxis are bringing people in the evenings to dine. Maybe capitalizing on Grand Case’s slow rebuild or a change of destination for some others. On Saturday night the Bikini lot is full and cars are parked on both sides of the street all the way to the circle. I have a special mention for the Bona Mama, a new pizza place last year serving rotisserie chicken, pizza, and a fixed price meal. We used them for takeaway but you can eat in too. They are so nice and a pleasure to deal with as pretty much all the places we frequent. Another great new place in the old realtor’s office that serves their own gelato, lunch, and dinner specializing lobster. We were there nightly for gelato but never ate there. The young men who work there couldn’t have been nicer they too were a pleasure to deal with. Friends dined there and loved it so next year we will try it.
We are booked for next year and sorry Carol its 10 weeks this time. Reason being my son was staying over New Years this year and loved the party Bikini held along with the fireworks out in the bay. He insisted we all be there next year so we will celebrate with the grandkids. Oh and struggle was real but we made it.

SXM Sponsors
Re: Orient Bay [Re: JohnB] #315636
03/15/2024 06:37 AM
03/15/2024 06:37 AM
Ohio
ruralcarrier Offline
Traveler
ruralcarrier  Offline
Traveler
Ohio
Good report. We stopped at Bikini yesterday, just for a drink, and the beach was getting very busy.

J.D.
Re: Orient Bay [Re: JohnB] #315640
03/15/2024 07:39 AM
03/15/2024 07:39 AM
East Tennessee
taraavo Offline
Traveler
taraavo  Offline
Traveler
East Tennessee
Nice report. Love Bona Mama! Thanks for sharing.

Re: Orient Bay [Re: JohnB] #315653
03/15/2024 09:22 AM
03/15/2024 09:22 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
John--thanks for the report. I think I hate you, but I guess I will soldier on! smile The only year we were on island for NYE was for the Millenium. It would be hard to beat that memory for us! Fireworks over Orient at midnight is a pretty special time! Enjoy.

Carol Hill