Member Spotlight
CaptainJay
CaptainJay
Saint Thomas, USVI
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
mamakim
Who's Online Now
25 registered members (DanS, Tom, reddoglady, sugarae, CaribbeanCanadians, pandpfromcanada, kaba, Manpot, gjconsult, SXMBND, jrw, George1234, ColoBoater, JerseyPal, Kennys, fabila, NumberCruncher, 8 invisible), 941 guests, and 167 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Returning for the first time in 8 years #315626
03/14/2024 07:44 PM
03/14/2024 07:44 PM
Jersey City, NJ, North of SXM
mscottc Offline OP
Traveler
mscottc  Offline OP
Traveler
Jersey City, NJ, North of SXM
I just saw post with someone returning after 7years, that prompted me to post.

In 1985 I took my first wife, Ann, to St. Martin once. We stayed on the Dutch side but ate several times on the French side, including a very memorable dinner at La Vie en Rose.

in the 2000s my second wife, Donna and I went to St Martin multiple time, all on the French side, all at Orient Beach. La Plantation the first year, Alamanda for a few years, one year we took 2 adult kids and 2 grand children, and then quite a few years in a row we stayed at O Paradis bungalows overlooking Orient Beach. In 2016, while on the beach we put down a reservation on a puppy and that sort of put an end to our overseas travel, and another puppy was also acquired. It's been 8 years, far to long.

Two years ago I retired, my wife and I built a new house, one state south, and we moved from New Jersey to Delaware. 6 weeks after we moved my wife passed away. 6 months after that, I recieved a letter from a woman I had dated just before I met my wife. We broke up amicably when she stated that she met the man she thought she was going to marry. While Nancy and I did not really talk to each other over 30+ years, we did speak once, and we both knew we were happy in our current lives. In that letter she informed me her husband had passed away 3 months after Donna. After that letter, we started talking again, and soon we started visiting with each other, we live 3 hours apart. Nancy does not like to fly, one of her few airline trips was a trip we took together with some friends to Disney World. She hasn't been on a plane in over 28 years.

Last summer we spent a couple of different weeks at the Jersey Shore, we had a great time, but she has no clue how much nicer blue water is compared to the green water of the northeast. Early this winter I finally convinced her to go to SXM with me. Part of this trip is for me to bring some of Donna's ashes to SXM, as I know that was her happy place, but I also want to introduce someone new to SXM. Nancy loves walking the beach so we are staying at The Orient Beach Hotel, right across the dirt road from Orient Beach. I'm so happy to be going back. Flights are booked, Hotel is booked, Car is booked... A lot has changed. Unlike Donna, Nancy is a hiker, so a trip to Happy Bay is definitely planned at least once the week we are there.

What is the best way to deal with phones these days, I have an iPhone 15+, should I use my Mint Mobile's international plan or should I get an eSim for my phone?
I did download the SXM maps for both Google Maps and Apple Maps, so I don't need a whole lot of cellular data for mapping purposes, but I do want that "emergency phone," as well as a phone to make reservations if needed, and the possible call back to the states. I know I can rely on Wi-Fi for most of that, except when driving.

What are the new "must do restaurants" preferably French Side, but a visit to the Dutch side isn't off the books, and which of the old standards are still worth revisiting? I know at least one or two dinners will be at the Grand Case LoLos.

I am looking forward to this return to Paradise.

[Linked Image]
SXM Sponsors
Re: Returning for the first time in 8 years [Re: mscottc] #315629
03/14/2024 08:23 PM
03/14/2024 08:23 PM
Brookfield, CT.
pat Offline
Traveler
pat  Offline
Traveler
Brookfield, CT.
I hope you have a wonderful trip and make lots of new memories to go along with the old ones. You’ll be surprised with the changes and shocked at the traffic.

Enjoy……

Respectfully,

pat

"Always keep your words soft and sweet, just in case you have to eat
them."
Re: Returning for the first time in 8 years [Re: pat] #315657
03/15/2024 09:29 AM
03/15/2024 09:29 AM
Central Florida!
Carol_Hill Offline
Traveler
Carol_Hill  Offline
Traveler
Central Florida!
Regarding a phone, we have a SXM phone but last trip did not use it at all. We just used wifi calling to call to the states. Most restaurants have whats app, or you can make a reservation online. For emergency calls, you could just plan on biting the bullet and paying the $2 a minute or whatever your carrier charges.

As far as restaurants, what kind of restaurants did you enjoy before? You might look at John B's report regarding restaurants in the Village. Enjoy!

Carol Hill
Re: Returning for the first time in 8 years [Re: mscottc] #315661
03/15/2024 11:17 AM
03/15/2024 11:17 AM
Bucks County PA
JohnB Offline
Traveler
JohnB  Offline
Traveler
Bucks County PA
For phone I am a Verizon customer so for stays under 30 days use their International plan $10 a day for calling and internet with no charge if not used. On over 30 day stays used another plan for $200 a month unlimited calls and internet. My wife is an ATT customer and does the $10 day International plan but rarely gets calls so no charge for days not used. Phones are set to use wifi for data if available.

Re: Returning for the first time in 8 years [Re: mscottc] #315663
03/15/2024 11:25 AM
03/15/2024 11:25 AM
Yonkers, NY
fabila Online content
Traveler
fabila  Online Content
Traveler
Yonkers, NY
Scott, I hope that you and Nancy find the same joy that you and Donna found on the island. We enjoyed spending time with you both.

We've been staying mostly on the Dutch side the last several years so I can only suggest places there for dinner. For lunch and beachfront we like LaPlaya to spend the day and have wonderful sushi. A subsequent lunch visit while we are on Orient would be Chez Leandra. We like the vibe, food and the strong cocktails.

On the Dutch side for dinner, Roma and Mr. Chow in Maho has become a favorite of us and wasn't there when you visited last. For steaks try JAX also in Maho. You'll get a lot of suggestions Scott for food and also notice a big difference on both the French and Dutch sides since you were last there. Enjoy your visit.

Let me know next time you're doing a drive by locally.

Re: Returning for the first time in 8 years [Re: mscottc] #315865
03/18/2024 12:38 PM
03/18/2024 12:38 PM
ME
singbeach Offline
Traveler
singbeach  Offline
Traveler
ME
Wow...our return since 10, 12 years ago...I think. My 7th, husband's 5th! First was our honeymoon 1990!

Hmmm phone for emergency call...hopefully not needed. What about checking voicemail? Guess I'll check with T Mobile! I remember when in DR last year using Whats App for restaurants...

Re: Returning for the first time in 8 years [Re: mscottc] #315934
03/19/2024 08:09 AM
03/19/2024 08:09 AM
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
Leagle49 Offline
Traveler
Leagle49  Offline
Traveler
Grosse Pointe, Michigan
If you use WiFi calling you cannot check voicemail, at least with Verizon. I did switch to regular calling yesterday (the phone said chippie network) to coordinate airport pick up of our friends, but couldn't connect to voicemail with that either. Ah well.