fabila 44
RonDon 40
JeanneB 35
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Kristi
Who's Online Now
16 registered members (SXMScubaman, eightzerobits, Matt W, Southshore, nevar37, Tom, WWII, Lionsail, xrayman67, Todd_Melinda_K, steve74, YachtReprise, lhbsurf, marybeth, 2 invisible), 632 guests, and 109 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Charter check in logistics #316985
03/30/2024 09:33 AM
03/30/2024 09:33 AM
S
sprockyrocky Offline OP
Traveler
sprockyrocky  Offline OP
Traveler
S
What is check in day like at the Moorings? If check in is at noon, how long before we actually get off the dock? Should we check in at noon and then do our grocery shopping or should we arrive with our provisions ready to go? We also have to return a rental car at the Moorings base so I'm wondering at what point we should do that. I just want to maximize the time on the water on our first day!

And in case we change our minds last minute, can we add things like wifi, water toys, or fishing rods (assuming we already have a license) on the day of check in or does that stuff need to be scheduled in advance?

Thanks!

BVI Sponsors
Re: Charter check in logistics [Re: sprockyrocky] #316989
03/30/2024 09:58 AM
03/30/2024 09:58 AM
Austin, TX USA
sailATX Offline
sailATX  Offline
Austin, TX USA
Enjoy your charter, Sprockyrocky!

Check in day is busy and hectic. I'm sailed with the Moorings BVI about 8 times. If you want to get sailing in daylight same day, I suggest starting earlier than the noon you mentioned. Mid day at the Moorings is busy! There is always something you need last minute (missing ice, extra water toy, forgotten bread) that slows you down.

There are papers to sign, yacht check out briefing, food to sort and stow, gear to stow. So, get started much earlier than noon.

If you can, split your crew: one focused on groceries if you are shopping for yourself and one focused on the boat and its needs/prep.

We have frequently used the provisioning service offered by the Moorings - it cuts down on the headaches and time ashore messing around with shopping.

Fair Winds!

Re: Charter check in logistics [Re: sprockyrocky] #317003
03/30/2024 01:31 PM
03/30/2024 01:31 PM
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
caribbeangirl13 Offline
Traveler
caribbeangirl13  Offline
Traveler
Vail, CO/St. Thomas, USVI
If you arrive on a Saturday it will be busy. My recommendation is to do a sleep aboard the night before. This allows you to do most of the systems checks (generator works, engines work, water and fuel are topped off, windless works, dinghy engine works, etc.) the night before so you know exactly what you need when the check out person comes to do your walk through. If you don't do the sleep aboard I recommend arriving at the Moorings early and checking in to see if your boat is ready. If it is they will usually allow you access early. When you check in, schedule your briefing right away and make sure the captain is on the boat the whole time, just in case the check out person comes early. If you aren't on the boat and they stop by, they don't wait for you, they go to the next boat. If you want to get off the dock that day, have grocery shopping done and like sailATX said, split your crew up to focus on tasks that need to get done (grocery shopping and storage, fins sizes picked out, etc.). We also do most of our provisioning using Riteway and Caribbean Cellars delivery.

Have a blast but be safe!

Sue
s/v Ripple
Leopard 40

[Linked Image]
Re: Charter check in logistics [Re: sprockyrocky] #317061
03/31/2024 01:20 PM
03/31/2024 01:20 PM
Hilton Head, SC
Steve27 Offline
Traveler
Steve27  Offline
Traveler
Hilton Head, SC
Agree with Caribbeangirl....We ALWAYS do a sleep aboard and we are usually off the dock between 9 -10am. If you arrive the same day your charter starts you will not get off the dock by 3pm usually. Your first day will be short and most likely have to go to Norman. It depends if your sailing or on a power cat on where your first stop can be, There is a good chart on the Mooring's website in their online guide that shows roughly how long it takes to get to each island from the base. I would dump your car early unless you are going to keep it to provision. You will need to do your captain stuff with the Moorings when you arrive. First thing is got to Pemport to check out your cell phone and give that number to the front desk so you can be notified when your boat is ready. Try to at least get the name of the boat so you can provision and give the grocery store the name and a time they can deliver. Do not provision until then or you will have your groceries sitting on the dock and no boat. We usually send others to provision when I start my Captain duties on the boat. You can provision with the Moorings online, however be prepared to get your order right about 85% of the time. There are free shuttles to the store from the base and it is easy to provision on your own. If you're there early relax have a drink and enjoy the pool at the base. Also bring a small cable with lock to run through your luggage so you can keep them all together in the luggage room for security. Best advice is remember "Island Time" and things move at their pace. So relax and enjoy the scenery and they will guide you through the steps you need to do. Before you know it you will be on the water. If you can add a sleep aboard (Early Start) and spend the night for about the same cost as a hotel room. You can do all your stuff on the Friday and you get the boat at 6 PM and just cant leave till morning. This way you can take your time and unpack, settle in and provision. The next morning you will schedule your checkout and walk through the systems and you are out of there. Enjoy your trip! PM if you have any more questions. I have chartered Power Cats from the Moorings 8 times.

Cruising the local waters here in SC and GA. Love the BVIs and miss the Tradewinds!