I got back from our trip on the night of Jan. 10 but I’ve been out of commission with a severe respiratory infection until the last day or so. We heard that this was something that was going around Tortola. We left Chicago on Dec. 29 and Joanna came down with it on Jan. 3, then it hit me Jan. 7. Oh well, I guess you can get sick even in paradise.

Before we got on the boat we spent a few days at Rhymer’s in CGB and got to ring in the New Year at Quito’s. The food was great, the music incredible, and it was fun hanging with Malcolm, and the way I felt the next day tells me I had a great time.

The highlight of the trip, of course, was Quito’s surprise visit to “Sanctuary” on Monday, Jan. 3. This was a belated (I’m not complaining) 50th birthday present organized by my brother Chris & funded by him, other siblings, my kids, employees & friends.

Joanna & I had left the Conch base around 2:30 on Sunday, Jan. 2 and headed to Trellis to rendezvous with my daughter Megan and four friends who were flying in that night. BTW, the anchorage at Trellis was so crowded we had trouble finding a spot to drop the hook. We had a great meal that night at the Cyber Café (thanks, Jeremy, for keeping the kitchen open for us).

The next morning we headed over to snorkel at Monkey Pt. with the plan to continue on to White Bay & Great Harbor, JVD for the evening. After we got out of the water, which was completely bereft of silver sides & tarpon, I was told that we HAD to be at CBG at 5:00 to pick up a birthday present that my brother had arranged. My crew acted like they were not too happy about this. I protested that the plan was to be in CGB Tuesday night so that we could see Quito, but then I said, what the hell, we’re in the islands, how bad can it be.

As it turned out we would probably would have headed to CGB that afternoon anyway because a couple of crew members were turning green in the north swell & that was the closest flat water. Once we were moored around 2:30 everyone else went ashore while Joanna & I puttered around on the boat and starting sampling the first batch of rum punch. At 4:30 the crew returned and then Ray & Brandon went back ashore to pick up the “present”. My curiosity was quite keen at that point as I tried to imagine what kind of present would be uniquely available at CGB.

Before the dinghy approached Joanna called me into the galley to look at an alleged leaking faucet. I was actually getting a bit irritated because Conch had just replaced the faucet and I thought it was fine. The next thing I knew, after not finding a leak, I turned towards the cockpit & Quito was standing there with his guitar case!

Quito starting laughing at the look on my face & said, “We got you, man.” After a warm hug I told him, “Just hanging out with you would be a gift, but you brought your guitar along, too!” I called Chris to thank him profusely, and then we talked with Quito for about half an hour until he said, “OK, it’s your party, what do you want to hear?” For the next hour-and-a-half we were treated to the incredible experience of hearing & seeing Quito from a few feet away doing, “Paradise”, “Papa & Me”, “Caribbean Run”, “Tortola”, “Little Feet”, “Calloused Hands”, “No Religion”, “Moma Love”, “Island in the Sun” and a few others I can’t recall. After the first seven or eight songs, when Quito said, “Next?”, I said, “Man, this is like eating too much of a great dessert, I’m not sure I can handle any more.” But I did.

In addition to the great music, the real treat was having Quito tell us the background of each song, when he wrote it, what it meant for him. Very cool! He also said that playing on a boat reminded him of the old days before there were any bars or restaurants, when he & his friends would go out & party on the boats in the anchorage, as long as his Moma wasn’t home to catch him.

This was the experience of a lifetime, certainly a gift I will never forget. Thanks to all who made it possible and, of course, to Quito for making it so special.

I’ll post an update in a day or two when I have some pics up on my website.

Tom Garvey