Reggae Bob, I somehow deluded myself into thinking I had done a trip report back then (Feb04). It’s been a year but I’ll do what I can here:

I came in on Air Jamaica out of LAX. Upgraded to First which you can do for not too much at the time of the flight depending on availability. Had a great flight right on time and landed in MoBay early that a.m. Red eye flights and Jamaican roads have always been special to me. Now that I think about it that is the first time in almost 30 years no one tried to sell me something for my head.

Arrived at Sans Souci a very tired camper. As it was early rooms were not ready so was taken down for drinks and food while waiting for a room. When I got back up to the reception area which is at the top of the tiered resort I reminded them of my need to avoid too much climbing as I was recovering from heart surgery. The original room was at the top level but as I expected to spend my time on the beach level they put me in a room right at beach level. I later realized I had received a nice upgrade to accommodate my needs. The reception staff went out of their way to make me comfortable.

The suite had a sitting area with TV, sofa and overstuffed chair, small refrig/bar stocked with soda and champagne and a sliding glass door opening on a patio from which I could walk to the beach, pool, bar etc. The bedroom area had a very comfortable layout with ceiling fan, king size bed, overstuffed chair and was very nice. The bathroom had a separate shower which was quite large. The bathroom itself was quite large with a Jacuzzi tub that would accommodate a few people. Great place to relax before dinner with a glass of champagne. The maid service was unobtrusive. They seemed to know when I was out and cleaned at that time. Never was I disturbed with the maid wanting to clean or turn down the sheets.

The beach out my door was a bit small and not like I’m used to in the BVI or over in Negril but it was well tended. We had a storm while I was there and the seaweed that had washed up was taken care of very quickly.

This place is beautiful. It has been there a long time and the foliage is worth 10 rolls of film on it’s own. There are many nooks and crannies as one walks around the grounds where one can just sit and meditate. Several swimming pools one of which is a mineral pool with a great view.

When getting the spa treatments you are overlooking the sea and hearing the water lap up on the beach or rocks depending on the location. The spa treatments make you feel like you are in another world. All that beauty and then the pampering leave one in a very mellow state.

Bars all over the place. And the service is amazing. Nothing is stinted on with nice higher end brands and the bar staff all had great personalities and a strong desire to make your time there memorable. Now I’m not new to Jamaica having traveled there and other islands for the past 30 years and yet this crew definitely stands out.

Food. Oh the food. Several restaurants to try plus the 24 hour room service. An ice cream topped brownie at 2 in the morning is always nice especially after those nachos. For dinner there are three restaurants to choose from. My haunt became the one at the top of the hill. Casanova. Elegant dining. I had trouble deciding between some dishes so was treated to healthy servings of each. The appetizers were amazing as were the entrees. The only thing I found lacking was the wine list, but it was still a cut above most in the islands. The white glove service was impeccable. The beach bar restaurant turns into a west Indian restaurant for the evening for a more casual dining experience. (I forgot to mention that long pants and a jacket were required for the Casanova restaurant, an indignity I found worth it for the food and service). And then what I guess what one would consider the main restaurant serving breakfast, lunch and dinner with dinner emphasizing an Italian menu. For breakfast and lunch it is buffet style and quite a wonderful variety of food. Omelet bar, smoked salmon, capers all my favorites.

The pools were great with a swim up bar and plenty of room for all. The evening entertainment varied but wasn’t for those looking for a wild time, for that you need to head in to Ochie. Evenings were sedate with two lavish buffets on the lawn while I was there. The desert tents were amazing. The resort has many other amenities I did not avail myself of including a game room, glass bottom boat, fitness center, snorkeling, sailing, windsurfing and waterbikes included.

As I mentioned in the beginning of this report I was somewhat impeded physically and the place is tiered with many levels and steps to get to those levels. I found quickly that a phone call would provide me with a ride up and down the hill very willingly so don’t let that deter you.

The rooms were great. The food amazing and the staff as good as I have ever seen, anywhere.