Member Spotlight
RickinAtlanta
RickinAtlanta
Woodstock, GA
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
jeverny, JimE
Who's Online Now
3 registered members (George1234, sunmantwo, 1 invisible), 773 guests, and 70 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Turks & Caicos Trip Report - Part 2 -Middle Caicos #32498
01/07/2015 04:33 PM
01/07/2015 04:33 PM
Oklahoma
Sugaree Offline OP
Traveler
Sugaree  Offline OP
Traveler
Oklahoma
After our week on Provo, my husband and I headed off to Middle Caicos for another week. Dropped our rental at Avis, Grace Bay and they shuttled us to the Ferry. We have very high praise for the ferry system here, as our main point of reference is the dismal ferry system in the Virgin Islands. The VI should take lessons.

Christi at Blue Horizon had arranged for a taxi to take us to the resort. We arrived and found our kitchen fully stocked with the groceries we had ordered. A very good decision and worth the fee they charge to handle it. I can’t imagine dragging all that stuff over on the ferry. We did purchase our meat at Graceway Gourmet and carry that with us in a soft side cooler.

We stayed in the Tropico cottage at BH. It was lovely, clean and very roomy. We cooked several dinners during our week there. They have a grill available for use and we grilled several times. There were ample utensils, dinnerware and cookware to make whatever we wanted. I momentarily wished for a blender, but it is certainly not a deal breaker to not have one. The kitchen included a four burner stove, oven, toaster, coffee maker and full sized refrigerator. Paper towels, dish soap, some spices and olive oil were provided for us. Most nights we slept with the windows opened, however when the wind died, we did close everything up and take advantage of the air conditioner. I highly recommend staying here!

Middle Caicos, North Caicos, and more specifically Blue Horizon were more our speed than Provo. No traffic. No noise to speak of. Laid back locals, wide open countryside, no hustle and bustle, and the most amazing beaches, all largely deserted. Sorry to say but in my opinion, Grace Bay loses hands-down to the beauty of the beaches on North and Middle Caicos.

Sandy Point on North is simply breathtaking. Even with the hulking, post-apocalyptic feel of the doomed Royal Reef hovering behind my chair, I found this to be the most relaxing, luxurious, beautiful beach of the entire two week trip. I’m certain there are others just as beautiful, but we didn’t have time to explore them all. At any rate, this was the most enchanting afternoon of the trip for me, wading out into the wide open water, drinking beer with my husband and marveling at the sheer beauty of God’s handiwork, and our good fortune at having arrived here.

High points of the week at Middle Caicos include:

~ Kayaking through the mangroves to Sand Dollar island and collecting sand dollars.

~ Seeing Flamingos, although at a distance.

~ Daniel’s Café. Everything about it – the people, the conch, the fried fish, and the New Year’s Day dinner party we got to be a part of.

~ Snorkeling at Bambarra beach.

~ Driving all over North and Middle, exploring remote beaches (Wild Cow Run…what a trip!)

~ Getting to know the ladies that run Blue Horizon – they are amazing!

~ Meeting lots of locals, all of whom were friendly to the point that we felt like family.

~ Quiet morning runs at Blue Horizon and along the main road – no traffic, no dogs, no mosquitos.

~ The conspicuous absence of pterodactyl-sized (or any size) mosquitos, on all but one occasion when hubby disturbed some underbrush.

After this peaceful, blissful week on Middle, I was dreading the return to PLS, and the horrible conditions awaiting us; long lines, in zillion-degree heat with no oxygen. Turns out, the worst part was the taxi line. Beyond that, we were checked in at the Delta counter within 5 minutes of arrival. Our journey through security was all of 10 minutes at most, and we walked in to a lovely, clean, air conditioned terminal where I was almost disappointed to have not been frisked, shaken down, shaken up or otherwise mauled or interrogated. (Seems the "new" part of the airport is now open.)

I did have a really good chuckle as I witnessed a woman with extremely high expectations asking a security officer for directions to “The Crown Room”. The security officer, along with me and another bystander, could barely contain our laughter. Hubby and I grabbed some snacks downstairs and went up to the “Crown Room” aka the newly air conditioned upstairs area. Twice during our wait, the officer walked by and snickered about the Crown Room.

Bottom line for Middle Caicos:

I would sincerely have to struggle at an attempt to come up with even the smallest complaint. Blue Horizon was very down to earth, refreshing, and yet, luxurious at the same time. Middle and North Caicos go to the top 3 of our list of favorite vacation spots, and I would pass up Provo in a heartbeat to get here again.

Pictures from our time at Middle and North Caicos: https://www.flickr.com/photos/48079329@N08/sets/72157650072181876/

Last edited by Sugaree; 01/07/2015 04:35 PM.
Sponsors
Re: Turks & Caicos Trip Report - Part 2 -Middle Caicos [Re: Sugaree] #32499
01/07/2015 05:57 PM
01/07/2015 05:57 PM
MIA
I
irina Offline
Traveler
irina  Offline
Traveler
I
MIA
great trip reports sugaree. typing with broken finger so no caps.
Middle Caicos is the caribbean we love.
Cheers
irina

Re: Turks & Caicos Trip Report - Part 2 -Middle Caicos [Re: Sugaree] #32500
01/08/2015 07:54 AM
01/08/2015 07:54 AM
Annapolis
Eva Offline
Traveler
Eva  Offline
Traveler
Annapolis
It's been ages since I've been to the T&C (2 trips to Provo, 1 to Grand Turk). Would love to try Middle Caicos without a stay in Provo. Do you think it's possible to get there in a single day? Or would an overnight in Miami or Prove be required?

I've got a Caribbean Soul I can barely control... (JB)
Re: Turks & Caicos Trip Report - Part 2 -Middle Caicos [Re: Eva] #32501
01/08/2015 10:28 AM
01/08/2015 10:28 AM
Oklahoma
Sugaree Offline OP
Traveler
Sugaree  Offline OP
Traveler
Oklahoma
Eva said:
It's been ages since I've been to the T&C (2 trips to Provo, 1 to Grand Turk). Would love to try Middle Caicos without a stay in Provo. Do you think it's possible to get there in a single day? Or would an overnight in Miami or Prove be required?

It would be feasible without an overnight in Provo, depending on your arrival time. The last ferry to North Caicos leaves Provo at 4:30 p.m., and then you'd have to arrange for a taxi to Middle, which is no problem at all. Plenty of drivers there. M&M Taxi is who we used.

Re: Turks & Caicos Trip Report - Part 2 -Middle Caicos [Re: Sugaree] #32502
01/15/2015 05:30 AM
01/15/2015 05:30 AM
Browns Point WA
Missygirl Offline
Traveler
Missygirl  Offline
Traveler
Browns Point WA
Sounds amazing

Life's a beach
Re: Turks & Caicos Trip Report - Part 2 -Middle Caicos [Re: Missygirl] #32503
01/15/2015 02:58 PM
01/15/2015 02:58 PM
L
LBI2SXM Offline
Traveler
LBI2SXM  Offline
Traveler
L
Wow! My kind of vacation. Pics of the beaches are absolutely beautiful. Been to Provo, looks like we missed the best part!

Re: Turks & Caicos Trip Report - Part 2 -Middle Caicos [Re: Sugaree] #32504
01/15/2015 11:36 PM
01/15/2015 11:36 PM
SXMWendell Offline
Traveler
SXMWendell  Offline
Traveler
Thanks for the reports and pics. Enjoyed them very much.

SXM??? Wendell

Re: Turks & Caicos Trip Report - Part 2 -Middle Caicos [Re: Sugaree] #32505
03/18/2015 06:49 AM
03/18/2015 06:49 AM
S
SweetSerenity Offline
Traveler
SweetSerenity  Offline
Traveler
S
Sounds wonderful ! Thanks for sharing your details!

The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is. Winston Churchill

Time is everything; five minutes make the difference between victory and defeat.
Horatio Nelson
Re: Turks & Caicos Trip Report - Part 2 -Middle Caicos [Re: SweetSerenity] #32506
08/19/2016 10:29 PM
08/19/2016 10:29 PM
PA
biglar Offline
Traveler
biglar  Offline
Traveler
PA
We are heading to Provo in October for two weeks. We enjoy the ferry ride to Middle Caicos and then we rent a car as we exit the ferry. Question - how do you get to Sand Dollar island. Do you need to get a kayak to get to the island? Help! We would love to search for sand dollars.

Re: Turks & Caicos Trip Report - Part 2 -Middle Caicos [Re: biglar] #32507
08/22/2016 04:36 PM
08/22/2016 04:36 PM
Oklahoma
Sugaree Offline OP
Traveler
Sugaree  Offline OP
Traveler
Oklahoma
We were told during our stay that the only available kayaks for "rent" were available only to guests of Blue Horizon.
There is a local guide by the name of Cardinal Arthur. We saw him taking guests out there via a small motor boat. You might google and see if you can find him. Or anyone local would probably be able to tell you how to contact him.