Yes, I’m off.
I took Jet Blue from Ontario, CA connecting (30 min layover) at JFK then down to SJU. A big Gold Star to Jet Blue. Their staff is very friendly and helpful, the seats are roomier than anyone else’s and every flight was on time with baggage out very quickly. It was a red eye so a very blurry eyed fellow sought out Cape Air. Another Gold Star airline. Friendly and accommodating.

Arrive early and get quickly through Immigration and Customs. I can usually get a smile out of most anybody but not the Immigration lady.

Off to Maria’s. I had contacted Carib Supply which Dr. Smith had recommended as I need an Oxygen Concentrator to sleep with. On check in there it was ready and waiting, great people to deal with. Stepped into my room and there was Road Harbor in all its glory. Felt right at home as I’ve stayed at Maria’s for at least15 years.

Glory be, I have reservations at Brandywine. My usual August trip they are closed so have missed them the past few years. Davide and Cele are such great hosts. I was, unfortunately, exhausted from flying all the previous night but the food was wonderful, I just wish I had the strength to stay a little longer and visit. But a big thanks to Davide and Cele for a wonderful evening. My biggest disappointment was that I found out Oliver Clifton of Sandcastle was off that night. I would have loved to have him as my guest at Brandywine. Oliver is a great friend and that would have been an even more memorable evening. That’s what happens when you are tired and not thinking well.

Called Darkie to come get me at Maria’s to take me to the West End ferry. His first question was were any cruise ships in, they would slow him down greatly in getting to me and then to my destination. Luckily none were in and we made it in plenty of time. On arrival at Jost there was Bun waiting for me and knew I was home.

Arriving at Sandcastle Sunday afternoon there was Rueben playing as always. While the sale has not concluded one change had been made with Jim and Allison departing and Roger and Sandy moving in. While Jim and Allison will be missed Roger and Sandy are a good fit for the place. KC was working his first day back since crushing his ankle in early December and was doing pretty good, jokes and all. He wasn’t due to return full time for 10 more days so didn’t see too much of him. Bruce, Debby, Tina, Claire, Oliver, Lorna, Shaneek, Joan, Christine, Selvina, Irvie and Queen Trixie were all there.

Jerry and Tish, the owners to be, were there part of the time and I had a good time with them. They are a lot of fun.

Warning….. Sunday a boat full of Customs/Immigration officers came in to White Bay and dropped officers off on several boats checking papers. I saw them take at least two boats over to West End and some people in custody. IF YOU ARE COMING IN FROM THE USVI CHECK IN.

Tuesday Foxy had an event where some bands from a Blues Cruise came over to play. What a great time. Special ferries from St. John and St. Thomas came over and there was a huge crowd which spilled over to the other places in Great Harbor. The music was amazing and I had the best time I’d had in a long time. Many old acquaintances from years past were there as well as some new ones. The crowd was an amazing variety of types, from burned out hippy’s to a group of well to do ladies from St. John partying down.

Over the last couple of years I have made friends with Jacob Callwood. Jacob is a high school student who’s sister also works at Sandcastle. His mother Debby is bartender at Foxy’s and a relief bartender at Soggy Dollar, his father Seddy many of you know. Debby brought friend Patty, Jacob and Lorraine over one night so we could all have dinner together. It was a great evening and made me realize how much Jost Van Dyke and her people have become and important part of my soul.

The swells kept all boats away one day with no one in White Bay. Bruce and the other local guys moved their boats over to Great Harbor so White Bay was empty. Cool sight. The bad thing was awaking to what I referred to as a floating ghetto spoiling the view. Due to the swells over the time I was there fewer passengers came over to the beach so the crowds weren’t bad.

I think the only TTOL’er I met there was Meg who was with husband Brian, they are a hoot.

My friend Donna who is usually there in August was down and we both agreed the water is much cooler in January, we are wusses.

Friday, it was time to leave for Anegada. It was the first time leaving Sandcastle that I was still in island mode, not geared up for 22 hours of travel to get home. I like the new way better. Tina took me over to the ferry where KC was working on one of his boats so got to visit with him some more.

I will truly miss Bruce and Debbie as they leave Sandcastle for new adventures.

What a great trip……To be continued with the Anegada week next.