It's been almost two weeks since my return from a week-long trip and I can finally write a trip report without excessive withdrawal pains!

My girlfriend/significant other and I flew into St. Thomas on Sunday from Atlanta and landed about 3:10. Even with checked baggage and a stop at duty free, we were at the ferry dock in half an hour. Of course, the 4:00 ferry wasn't even close to leaving, but the bar was open and we began adjusting our attitudes to the island way of life.

I should note that this was my second trip to the BVI and my girlfriend's first.

I won't bore you with a myriad of details. We spent the first three nights at the Sugar Mill. This is a wonderful hotel with great staff, a beach that I love (although others think it too small and "across a road") and a good location. The road hardly qualifies as such and where else could you sit on a beach and watch a cattle drive? If you have a chance to stay here, don't hesitate to do so. We had dinner the first night at Sugar Mill and I have to say, the food was not as good as it was when I was there last year. I should add, though, that it may have been the selections we made. And we had breakfast there every morning and it was always excellent.

We had dinner the second night at Myetts. It was good, but not great. But the live music was good and we had a lot of fun. Dinner the third night was at Coco Plums and it was very good, almost excellent!

During the days we spent time on our beach, went to The Baths, walked around Road Town and just relaxed. It was a great way to start the trip. Last year, I spent five nights on Tortola with day trips to JVD and The Baths, and if you never did more than that, you would have a wonderful vacation.

This year, I might have spent a week at Sugar Mill, but I booked late and could not get a full week. But I remembered that bar that had a hotel attached to it on JVD - Sandcastle - and was able to put three nights at Sugar Mill together with four nights at Sandcastle. The stay at Sandcastle transformed a great vacation into an awesome vacation!

What can I say, except that if you have a chance to stay at Sandcastle, don't hesitate to do so. The accomodations are perfect - we stayed in #1, loved the outdoor shower and the proximity to the beach. The food is outstanding. Oliver's dinners should not be missed!

I am sorry that Bruce and Debby are leaving. They are perfect hosts. On the Saturday night we were there, a group of the guests piled into the pick-up truck and car with Bruce and Debby at the wheel and headed to Foxy's for dinner. We had a blast! Roger, the manager for the new owners, was on the property and seems to have what it takes to carry on the good service and fun. His wife was off-island, so we did not have a chance to meet her.

The routine at Sandcastle is just what the doctor ordered for R&R. Breaksfast at 9, on the beach by 10 to watch the entertainment arrive, lunch about 1, a nap at 4 and dinner at 7. Oh yes, cocktails interspersed throughout. But we did other things as well. Kayaked (the bruises from being knocked around while trying to get on the thing are just about healed), toured in K.C.'s dinghy (cuts from walking into the propeller while trying to beach the thing, i.e., propeller not turning, have pretty much healed), walking into Great Harbour (bug bites when repellent was forgotten are gone).

Maybe the best part of Sandcastle was out fellow guests. The were delightful people . . . . we became instant friends and hope to rejoin them all next year at the same time. We will try for a week.

Other thoughts - don't miss Corsairs, Foxy's Taboo and the Bubbly Pool. Don't worry about the people on the beach. The entertainment value is outstanding and they leave by 5 p.m. . . . . . you'll have the place to yourself after that. Find Ruben Chinnery and listen to his music. Incredible!

We came back tan, relaxed and looking forward to a repeat visit next year.