Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,950
Posts342,010
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 34
RonDon 33
mahokid 32
erb923 29
kim 18
Member Spotlight
Zanshin
Zanshin
Antigua
Posts: 2,734
Joined: March 2008
Today's Birthdays
bugambilias
Who's Online Now
13 members (S/Y Mockingbird, mgh, RatmansWife, Kennys, charlie, FLCajun, Computerwise, tomp, 5 invisible), 486 guests, and 126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#336988 07/25/2025 12:03 PM
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 100
Likes: 1
Calvin Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Dec 2004
Posts: 100
Likes: 1
What difficulties should I anticipate when traveling with Inflatable life vests that use replaceable CO2 cylinders? I'm asking here first because some of you might have already done this. Will the airlines or TSA be a problem. Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.

BVI Sponsors
.
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,571
Likes: 12
B
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
B
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,571
Likes: 12
Once heading to the Bahamas, I put my PFD with (2) canisters "not installed" in my carry on. I saw the Dulles International TSA screener pause looking at my bag. He called another officer over and they both told me my canisters would not be permitted. I had fortunately printed out TSA's published policy regarding these and asked that they show their supervisor for clarification. I was allowed to proceed on the flight with my canisters.

That was a few years ago, google their current policy to see if things have changed, if still permitted take it with you.

Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Apr 2002
Posts: 7,372
Likes: 11
Here you go. Print it out and take it with you as TSA training is very inconsistent. I know an airline pilot who was denied entry for to much metal in his body. The TSA agent actually told him he would need some removed to enter an airport.

https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/items/life-vest

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,023
Likes: 5
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,023
Likes: 5
We did what BEERMAN and GeorgeC1 said. We were challenged. We had the TSA policy printout. Then we had to deal with getting the duty exception in Grenada, but the PFDs were clearly not new.

Cheers, RickG

Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,493
Likes: 5
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,493
Likes: 5
I had no problem at all this past February, flying from Newark to St. Thomas. I brought one life belt. I unscrewed the cartridge and left it inside.

I've done this on previous trips. I vaguely remember someone at some time in the past raising a question, but I never actually had anything confiscated.

Dan cheers


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5