|
Forums39
Topics41,949
Posts342,004
Members27,640
| |
Most Online5,009 Jul 27th, 2026
|
|
Posts: 769
Joined: January 2003
|
|
|
14 members (loislynn, SXMScubaman, lcote, SXMNAN, MamaB, RickG, FLCajun, socamon, Susieville, DavidMartha, S/Y Mockingbird, 1995nmc, geomo, 1 invisible),
399
guests, and
60
robots. |
|
Key:
Admin,
Global Mod,
Mod
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 63 Likes: 1
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 63 Likes: 1 |
Hi All,
I’m planning a 7 or 8 day one-way charter from Antigua to St. Martin on a 45' monohull (Sunsail 46/Beneteau Oceanis 46.1) in February. Depending on wind and weather, potential stops include Barbuda, Nevis, St. Kitts, Statia, St. Barts and Anguilla. Monserrat (if Sunsail allows it) and Deshaies (which of course is in the wrong direction, but still maybe worth a stop) are also possibilities. Obviously I'm only going to make it to a fraction of these places in the time I have. Any advice on the potential stops, general route recommendations, Sunsail's operation in Antigua, this particular boat or anything else would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Matt
|
|
|
.
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,111 Likes: 5
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,111 Likes: 5 |
That'll be fun, although two weeks would be much better. Last year I squeezed half of your stops into two weeks on a Dream Yacht charter cat starting in St Martin. From Antigua, I'd head straight south to Deshaies as I love that anchorage. So much fun.
Then, you have to go to Montserrat because it is totally different from any other island (Dominica comes close in character though). The Monserrat anchorage surroundings are much better than on my last visit around 12 years ago but still undeveloped and such a friendly island. A day tour around the old pre-eruption towns is a must.
Nevis is also a lovely place to visit but with not as much to see as Montserrat. I didn't go to St Kitts this time around but have in the past and enjoyed island tours. Unfortunately my favourite place, Ottley's Plantation didn't survive Irma (or Maria?) and is now just a ruin.
Didn't do Statia or Saba on this trip either, headed straight from Nevis to St Barts, another place that is a great visit. I've only ever been to St Barts in low season so have always been able to park up right in town which I highly recommend. Then back to St Martin, clearing in at Marina Fort Louis, staying in Marigot for the night before heading to Grand Case and finally back to Anse Marcel. A wonderful trip all round.
I've been to Anguilla in the past and it is great as long as you just stay in Road Harbour. If you want to go elsewhere they charge you a fortune in cruising licence fees. Barbuda is the one island in that part of the world I haven't been to.
The one place you've missed out is my favourite place in all the Caribbean, Isles des Saintes, just south of Guadeloupe. You are very close when at Deshaies so just carry on south a bit before heading NW to Monserrat. It's like being in a bit of the south of France but without the bling of St Barts. I know it is a favourite of many on the BVI board who've been there with me or on their own.
Have fun
P.S. Customs are very easy going on the French Islands, pretty formal on the old Brit places.
Last edited by Jeannius; 09/22/2025 04:40 PM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734 Likes: 25
Traveler
|
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734 Likes: 25 |
@Matt - i just put in a very long answer on the other forum you posted your question in, some of what I wrote is identical to @Jeannius. I think that the Îles des Saintes, which also rank among my favorites, is too far. It is a whole day of sailing/motoring from Deshaies to the Saintes, and another day to get back north to Deshaies. Here's a copy:
I would keep a list of potential destinations and then, a day or two before you start, finalize the itinerary. The weather can play a big role, and there's nothing worse than beating to weather because you have a fixed plan. I've done deliveries where you are on a schedule and have to go, despite knowing that if you waited a day or two, you'd have a better trip.
From Antigua (I'll assume you are chartering from English Harbour): If you love sailing, then the relatively short run south to Deshaies is a blast. Note that holding in the anchorage can be difficult, and the wind conditions in Deshaies can be gnarly. But it is nice ashore and a particular treat for fans of the TV Series "Death in Paradise". You can now clear in and out of the French islands electronically without having to go ashore to an office - that simplifies things greatly.
From Deshaies, you can either head back to Antigua - perhaps clearing in at Jolly Harbour, spending the night there or just around the corner at Deep Bay (if you want to stay aboard). Then north to Barbuda. I believe you can now clear out of Antigua & Barbuda there, sparing you the return trip.
Or head west from Deshaies to either Montserrat or Nevis. I've sailed past the exclusion zone but haven't stayed in Montserrat, so I can't help there.
Nevis you can clear in at Charleston and anchor off Pinney's Beach, and you only need one day to explore that island, then sail past the Narrows to St. Kitts. There's a lot there - I like anchoring in White House Bay but there are other options. The UNESCO World Heritage Site at Fort Brimstone is impressive, as are other sights on the island. I like renting a car, and with only one road going around the island, it is hard to get lost.
From Nevis you can either do a short sail to Statia (St. Eustatius), which is a great off-the-beaten-path place for a day; or head up to Saba or sail to St. Barths. Saba is only recommended if the conditions are very, very settled. You would be mooring in an open anchorage subject waves and swells.
St. Barths is a nice place, but somewhat pricey. Clearing in at Gustavia means you have to find an anchoring spot in one of the three anchoring areas. That can be a bit challenging. If you have a dinghy that can plane, I like to anchor in Anse Colombier and dinghy in - plus Anse Colombier is among my favorite anchorages. You shouldn't miss the airport approach and "Le Select(Cheeseburger in Paradise)", the latter being the only really affordable restaurant I've found on the island. Shell beach is worth a walk as well.
St. Martin has 2 parts - the French and the Dutch. You can dinghy and drive from one side to the other, but you need to clear in and out with a yacht. So it would be best to clear in on the French side since Sunsail is in Marigot. I like clearing in at Anse Marcel, but with the new French online system you don't need to go ashore anymore. I recommend spending one night at Ile Fourchue, then sailing on to Tintamarre for a day on a wonderful beach. Then head to Grand Case for 1-2 or more nights, perhaps a day sail to Anse a Pere.
I would suggest skipping Anguilla - there's not much in the main anchorage, and cruising the island is a bit pricey.
Last edited by Zanshin; 09/23/2025 04:38 AM.
|
|
|
|
|
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 63 Likes: 1
Traveler
|
OP
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2005
Posts: 63 Likes: 1 |
Thank you both for your thoughts. Very helpful.
|
|
|
|
|