Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,953
Posts342,075
Members27,641
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 30
RonDon 28
erb923 24
mahokid 24
GaKaye 20
kim 18
Member Spotlight
Colour1
Colour1
Westchester /NYC
Posts: 2,534
Joined: July 2011
Today's Birthdays
gaynorsxm, gwclou, stoneyusaf, voyager, Wahnfried
Who's Online Now
6 members (SXMFOX, 5 invisible), 434 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#340862 12/05/2025 11:25 PM
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,494
Likes: 5
DanS Offline OP
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
Joined: Nov 2003
Posts: 1,494
Likes: 5

BVI Sponsors
.
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,112
Likes: 5
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,112
Likes: 5
Oh no. Really sad news. Somewhere I have video my wife recorded of him sitting in with Steve and George at The Elm, CGB, at the Sunday night BBQ back in around 2008. One of my all time great memories. I still have the tee shirt he signed for me that also has a large red wine stain caused when Mal knocked my elbow a few minutes after getting the signature. Never been washed but still gets worn on special occasions.

Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 17,514
Likes: 78
Heartbreaking news that I heard, so appropriately, sitting in a bar at SF airport overlooking the Bay. My late wife Candace and I have over 40 years of wonderful memories with Steve, starting at an Indian restaurant in LA in 1981 when he was playing with The Blues Brothers Band.
I was a devoted soul music fan, especially Stax in Memphis, and Steve and I talked for hours about every artist and every song he played on, wrote or produced ( One of three people in the world in The Rock N Roll Hall of Fame, The Musicians Hall of Fame and the Songwriters Hall of Fame...the other two? Keith Richards and Roy Orbison).
We partied with Steve at our house in Venice Beach and his house on Mulholland Drive before he moved to Nashville and married the lovely Angel. I remember one party at our place and watching Steve and Same Moore of Sam and Dave catching up. Never forget the night he called and told us to meet him at a studio in Hollywood..so I could meet one of my alltime favorites ..Eddie Floyd (boy did he love my wife!)
We stayed with Steve when he played at the Grand Ole Opry in an all star band with Billy Preston and Felix Cavelleri and others.
We were with Sam Moore watching when the band went into "Soul Man". I turned to Sam and said "You gotta get up there Sam!"..."Nah I'm an OleMan" he laughed..then ripped off his jacket and jumped on stage! We spent a long weekend at Steve's lovely home in Nashville when he put on a charity show with Booker, Duck and the Memphis Horns fronted by the amazing Eddie "Knock on Wood" Floyd. We all had lunch together and then went to the sound check..just Candace and I watching these guys run thro every one of our classic favorites from" Green Onions" to "Soul Man',"Knock on Wood" and "Dock of the Bay".
At one time that weekend all the guys were in Steve's memorabiia stuffed office at his home in Nashville drinking wine and talking and I realised I was probably the only one in that room not in the Rock N Roll Hall of Fame.
As Mike said few who were there will ever forget Steve playing with The Elmtones on Cane Garden Bay when he was staying with us. It was during his stay here that our phone rang and Candace told Steve the call was for him.
Steve came in and said someone wants to speak to you...When I heard "Hi Malcolm I heard Steve was down there with y'all"...I recognised Reba's voice immediately. Steve had pals across every spectrum of music and was regarded as a guitar God by most of them.
Off to see the Elmtones on Sunday..I'm sure the boys will play " Dock of the Bay" and talk about another crazy night in the Caribbean..In the meantime..."Play it Steve" and say hi to your great pal Otis for all of us..

Last edited by Manpot; 12/06/2025 10:00 AM.
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,760
Likes: 15
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Feb 2002
Posts: 3,760
Likes: 15
Great memories for you Mal👍

Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,257
Likes: 3
T
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
T
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,257
Likes: 3
So sad. Member of a golf club I am associated with outside of Nashville. Meet him a couple of times and always enjoyed our interaction.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5