We are six weeks out, and I'm sitting on my couch with coffee watching the Soggy webcam getting excited. In prior trips, we have spent a few days in St. John. We love the island, and it is a nice thing to do since we are down for two weeks on these trips.

In the past, we have cleared with CBP Roam in a bay in St. John, but the last time we did this, they didn't approve us for hours. So, when we went into town, I walked into the office, and they semi-grilled me about our meat and produce. I was honest, and the officer made sure I knew that these items could not be taken off the boat.

However, I know that things might be different with another officer or another day, which is the main reason we didn't go to St. John last year. This year, we would really like to go, but we don't want to throw out all of our meat and produce for a mid-trip visit to the USVI.

Do any of you do this with regularity, and what has your experience been? If the norm is to tell you to keep the food on the boat, I'm good. However, if there is a high risk that they will call us to the dock for an inspection, it is probably not worth it. It's a tough call - what do you think?

Thank you in advance for any replies!

Steve