Traveltalkonline.com Forums

.


BVI Cruise Schedule TTOL Sponsors BVI Travel Calendar
Forum Statistics
Forums39
Topics41,953
Posts342,067
Members27,640
Most Online5,009
Jul 27th, 2026
Top Posters(30 Days)
bran 31
RonDon 28
mahokid 27
erb923 25
GaKaye 20
kim 18
Member Spotlight
Posts: 152
Joined: August 2007
Today's Birthdays
MassExodus, mayhem
Who's Online Now
10 members (DBESXM, SANFILIP, Bigdaddy, ctpsxm, foreversxm, NumberCruncher, Sunnysideup, Caribman, Granite13, 1 invisible), 406 guests, and 188 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#347729 06/02/2026 03:41 AM
Joined: Sep 2025
Posts: 7
Likes: 2
M
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
M
Joined: Sep 2025
Posts: 7
Likes: 2
We will be heading back to the BVI on our own keel later this year. We will have a passable 'beater' dinghy with us, ideal for lashing to the deck for the Atlantic crossing. However, once we arrive we will be looking for an immediate upgrade. Ideally something similar to the hundreds of dinghies Sunsail/Moorings have. For example an 11 or 12ft AB or Highfield with a 15hp+ outboard.

Yes we could buy a new one and have it shipped out to Nanny Cay ready for our arrival. But then I’ll be overly precious about keeping it shiny!

Does anyone happen to know if the charter companies (such as Sunsail/Moorings) ever sell off their old ones? Or have any contacts in the BVI of someone who might be able to track down a used RIB for us. And to clarify I am NOT looking for a Sparkle Laundry (if you know you know) style stolen-to-order situation!

Thank you in advance for any knowledge / wisdom / information / thoughts / unrelated musings / other

Matt

BVI Sponsors
.
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734
Likes: 25
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734
Likes: 25
I've bought used dinghies at Moorings in Road Town on two occasions. I never tried online transactions, though. I walked up to the dinghy repair area (along the main road, but you have to access via the Moorings main entrance) and asked about buying a used dinghy. The use Caribe dinghies, and they are a bit beat up - but functional.

Don't buy a new one in the BVI, only 90NM upwind is St. Martin, and the prices are 20-50% cheaper! You might check out cruisers net in St. Martin to see if someone is heading downwind and might be able to bring one if you don't want the uphill slog.

Last edited by Zanshin; 06/02/2026 12:19 PM.

[Linked Image]
Joined: Sep 2025
Posts: 7
Likes: 2
M
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
M
Joined: Sep 2025
Posts: 7
Likes: 2
Hi Zanshin,

Exactly the info I was looking for! Thank you very much.

No definitely not looking for an online transaction, just a starting point for when we arrive.

We will most likely make landfall in Sint Maarten, since other half is Dutch and will be flying in direct from AMS (plus neither of us are mad about Antigua). So maybe we will check out what is available there and failing that have a chat to the Moorings chaps.

Do you mind me asking what you paid for a beat up Caribe from Moorings? Or DM me if simpler.

Thanks again

Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734
Likes: 25
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,734
Likes: 25
You can check out the prices for new dinghies in St. Maarten at Budget Marine (for Caribe) and Island Waterworld (for Highfield, what I now have). The BVI chandleries don't post prices online - they know people will compare. But I'd hazard to say they'll be at most 30% more than in SXM. I can't recall what I paid for my used dinghy at Moorings; it was a while ago, and I paid cash.

There will be used dinghies available in St. Maarten as well. There isn't as large a charter fleet there as in the BVI, but there are more boaters, and I guarantee you'll get offers if you go on the morning VHF cruiser network and ask about used dinghies.

I learned my lesson years ago to sail to St. Martin for any boat parts; the price difference makes the overnight uphill run against the wind and waves worthwhile.


[Linked Image]
Joined: Sep 2025
Posts: 7
Likes: 2
M
Traveler
OP Offline
Traveler
M
Joined: Sep 2025
Posts: 7
Likes: 2
Thank you Zanshin. Very helpful info.

Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Likes: 2
H
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
H
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Likes: 2
I'm looking for a dinghy as well. Hoping to find a side-console type, 12 foot, new or used. SXM isn't really an option for me. Hoping to find an AB or Caribe dealer in the USVIs. No luck so far.

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,023
Likes: 5
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,023
Likes: 5
Husker, I answered on the USVI forum Offshore Marine is your answer.

Cheers, RickG

Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Likes: 2
H
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
H
Joined: Jul 2020
Posts: 594
Likes: 2
Got both. Thanks RickG! Since I posted a friend referred me to Mike Hallett (MikesMarine) who sells Highfield tenders. Not sure how these rate compared to ABs or Caribe.

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,023
Likes: 5
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 2,023
Likes: 5
Highfields are just as good as AB. In stock product is key.

Cheers, RickG

RickG #348082 06/17/2026 09:38 PM
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 51
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Jan 2001
Posts: 51
The other thing with highfields is that it looks like the factory has some controls over the price. I haven’t seen much disparity between Florida, BVI, SXM, Grenada. We’ve had a Highfield 360 Classic for 7 years and it has been great. Just bought a new 380 from Mike.


Dennis
S/V Toes in the Water
Lagoon 450
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,112
Likes: 5
Traveler
Offline
Traveler
Joined: Sep 2002
Posts: 4,112
Likes: 5
Caribe has (or at least used to have) much bigger tubes than AB or Highfield. Much higher carrying capacity for the same length, if that matters to you. TMM sourced a Caribe for me in the BVI.


Link Copied to Clipboard
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5