All my notes on "Cap Caraibes" in one place<br>From: Carmac@aol.com<br>Date: 05 Sep 2000<br>Time: 02:17:33<br>Remote Name: 24.21.205.48<br><br><br>Comments<br>Combined Review of "Cap Caraibes" <br><br>I had no idea that there would be so much interest in the "Cap Caraibes"! This is mostly a "cut and paste" of the individual replies I've given so far so that most of what I know is in one place and those interested don’t have to jump all over the place to find it. <br><br>As will become apparent, I am NOT a professional reviewer. <br><br>Also, I have no knowledge of/experience with the “Cap’s” competition: just know what we saw and what we did. This is provided to satisfy the many requests received. <br><br>==================================== <br><br>Just spent the week of 18-26 August at the 'Cap'. <br><br>Very new, so there were some problems. Some rooms (including ours) had NO (none, nada, zip) hot water... finally got ours working the last night (of 8)! <br><br>Construction seemed solid, prettily appointed, and the view (from second/third floor) outstanding. <br><br>Basically a modified motel layout - One large combo bedroom (King-Size bed)/"living room"; small kitchen alcove (two people standing fills it up) set off by a half-height wall; bath-room (shower only, no tub, but easily large enough for two); and ocean side "terrace/balcony" on the other side of full height-width glass doors (think "Glass Wall"). Terrace has circular wood table w/ 3 wood sitting chairs and a matching lounger. Can have dinner out there if so to choose. <br><br>Bath/Shower room has built-in Hair Dryer, w/adapter for American electric razor. <br><br>REMEMBER TO GET POWER CONVERTER!! The little one they provide will NOT drive a Clothes Iron or Hair Curler (kept my phone charged). <br><br>We were in one of the 5 third-floor rooms - view towards bay/beach EXCELLENT! Entrance is from the land side - when you open the door you are looking at pretty much unobstructed Atlantic. I wish I had my camera when we first walked into the room, you open the door and see the sea! (O.K., ocean, but I liked the scan.) <br><br>Size was fine for two people, not crowded at all. Two-four others could visit comfortably. <br><br>Standard'ish but attractive end tables, dresser and open cabinet style closet, all finished bamboo (or at least made to look like finished bamboo) construction. Stuffed chair, couch and coffee table. Decent (local?) art-work on walls. All was quite light and airy - I think the term used is 'Mediterranean' style. TV there and works, but only two channels, both French. We didn't watch much. <br><br>No elevators - you hoof it by rectangular open-air (but roofed) staircase, don't pack too heavily. <br><br>Each room is self-contained/separate - no common access to anything; all entrances external. <br><br>As I remember it, layout is 5 slightly offset abutting sections, each section consisting of one third floor room centered over 3 second floor rooms centered over 5 first floor rooms, approximately parallel to the beach - get 2nd or 3rd floor if you want the view. (You WANT the View!) <br><br>Air-conditioned. Daily maid/cleaning service. <br><br>Constant construction on the land side of the hotel, but in the rooms you can't tell, very good sound insulation. <br><br>It does have a small, kidney shaped pool on a raised 'flag-stone' deck, (between hotel and beach) and appeared to be regularly serviced. Footbath at stair end for sand removal. Looked to me like about 10 or so users would fill it up. Plastic loungers (about 8-10) are provided, as well as beach towels. No umbrellas while we were there, but that could (should, I would recommend) be coming. <br><br>Depending on how you define 'walk', 3 to 7 or so "on-the-beach" open-air restaurants within walking distance (half a block to half a mile), some of which serve breakfast. <br><br>Not really 'beach-front' by my definition, but was the closest to the beach of all others on the bay - about 20 yards from sand, 40 or so from water. The 'Cap' is definitely the closest to the beach at Orient Bay; all others were well set back, and most appeared to be 'hidden' from the beach by trees and beachfront bars/restaurants. <br><br>We have no trouble at all in recommending the 'Cap' to anyone. <br><br>Try not to use phone any more than essential – rates very high (although I’m told this is typical). <br><br>We paid off-season promotion rate of $170/night for 5 nights ($850), and got two nights 'free'. Works out to 121.43 IF you stay seven days. <br><br>They do have email, but I CAN'T FIND IT! Don't know what I did with it! I know they can be reached through the TA we used: <br><br>Ed Roman Caribbean Islands Travel Service 800-388-9153 "ERoman1111@aol.com" <br><br>Pretty good at 'wrapping up' a coordinated package. <br><br><br><br><br>