Member Spotlight
kim
kim
Newtown, CT
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
LONGISLANDSHARON, Sca2la
Who's Online Now
23 registered members (Lionsail, NumberCruncher, eightzerobits, OceanSong, Zanshin, jeepers, RatmansWife, SteveH, Whale Tail, SURICK, MNsnowbird, cabokid, botnot, fabila, stevel13, ohstate, SXMNAN, Kennys, bailau, 4 invisible), 988 guests, and 65 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Going solo in Africa? #3521
04/06/2005 10:29 AM
04/06/2005 10:29 AM
BVI
Tortolian Offline OP
Traveler
Tortolian  Offline OP
Traveler
BVI
I would really love to do some travelling around Africa, especially in some of the eastern and southern countries, BUT both of the other times I've been (to Kenya and Zimbabwe), I've stayed with local friends. I don't know people in many of the other countries I'd like to go to (Tanzania, Malawi, Botswana, Namibia, South Africa etc.), and I'm wondering if it is practical or sensible for a female to travel around these places alone...

Does anyone have any thoughts/suggestions about this?

Annie

Sponsors
Re: Going solo in Africa? [Re: Tortolian] #3522
04/06/2005 12:39 PM
04/06/2005 12:39 PM
Kemah, Texas
stainless Offline
Traveler
stainless  Offline
Traveler
Kemah, Texas

I don't know Annie. I work for an architectural firm that has a registered office in Luanda Angola. Even though the country has been at peace since 2002 - we still employ guards at our staffhouse.

Also, one of my dear friends is over there for contract work for one of the major oil companies - she said they have to take a guard with them to the beach when they go. Absolutely forbidden by the oil company to go alone.

On the other side of the fence, we designed a residential housing compound for another oil company in Bata, Equatorial Guinea, whereas there were no guards.

Go figure.

Sorry I can't help much about So Africa but could try to get some info for you if you like. We do have some employees that are from Joberg and Southern areas.

Best of luck to you.
Martha

You only live once. But if you live it right - once is enough...
Re: Going solo in Africa? [Re: Tortolian] #3523
04/06/2005 08:31 PM
04/06/2005 08:31 PM
atravelynn Offline
Traveler
atravelynn  Offline
Traveler
Annie,

The traveling I have done alone in Africa has been only on safaris that have been pre-arranged in the US with a reputable agent. So I have not just wandered about the countryside on my own. But I have never had a problem in any East or Southern African country as a female traveling alone.

Re: Going solo in Africa? [Re: Tortolian] #3524
04/06/2005 09:50 PM
04/06/2005 09:50 PM
The Villages Florida
ggregory Offline
Traveler
ggregory  Offline
Traveler
The Villages Florida
Annie,

My wife and I were traveling around South Africa last December. We ran into some other Americans who were traveling alone and another woman who was traveling with just her 7 year old daughter. They all had no problems with anyone, as with us too. Everyone was very friendly. The only city we heard that was un sure of, was Johannesburg. They will steal your car, with you in it, so we heard.

South Africa is a wonderful place to see. Cape Town is the best. Go to the Victoria Waterfront. Drive to the Cape to see the Penguins. Go to where the two Oceans meet. There's much to see and do. I can't say about the other Countries, never was there.

Greg

Re: Going solo in Africa? [Re: Tortolian] #3525
04/09/2005 01:32 PM
04/09/2005 01:32 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Annie, My daughter (29) and I were in Cape Town last Dec. and absolutely loved it. We stayed in a hostel that was very centrally located to both town and Victoria Waterfront. We felt safe during the day but were advised to be very careful starting at about sunset and at night. Its an absolutely lovely city...very cosmopolitan, beautiful beaches, friendly people, very diverse culture, good restaurants, and alot to see and do...make sure you visit Table Mtn., there are several vinyards to visit as well. Another good tour is to go to the island where Mandella was incarcerated...there is a penguin colony on the island.
The hostel we stayed at was great...very clean, small pool, lots of friendly people, many also traveling alone so it would be easy to hook up with someone to tour with you and at a very reasonable rate.
Have a great time...I wish I would of had more time there...unfortunately we didn't have time for safari...the hostel can book any tours or safaris' for you.
Linda

Re: Going solo in Africa? #3526
04/18/2005 08:48 AM
04/18/2005 08:48 AM
BVI
Tortolian Offline OP
Traveler
Tortolian  Offline OP
Traveler
BVI
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your replies.

I was sort of unsure about this idea, but I'm feeling much more positive about it now that I've read all your comments. I think heading first to Cape Town and taking it from there sounds like a plan. As Linda said, I hopefully should be able to hook up with some other travellers in the hostel when I get there.

I'm *hoping* to get on a yacht delivery from Cape Town back to Tortola, so all-in-all it would be the perfect way to spend my long summer vacation...

I'll definitely let you all know how (if) it goes!!

Annie

Re: Going solo in Africa? [Re: Tortolian] #3527
04/21/2005 02:19 AM
04/21/2005 02:19 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Annie
If you haven't found a hostel yet we stayed at the Big Blue Backpackers. Found it at hostels.com...if I recall correctly I believe they picked us up at the airport. Check them out.
Have a fantastic time!
Linda

Moderated by  Eric_Hill