RonDon 42
fabila 39
JeanneB 35
Member Spotlight
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
shellyb
Who's Online Now
29 registered members (MKGrey, Fitzhughlaw, RatmansWife, davidandsusannj, Billtjw, KC2SXM, BenP, AlanB, Leagle49, TC42, Husker, onlymedication, George1234, BlueMoc, jazzgal, toast, Deepcut, SXMBND, Tom, steve74, 9 invisible), 872 guests, and 101 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Cameras & Orient Beach #401
03/02/2001 10:49 AM
03/02/2001 10:49 AM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mike_M Offline OP
Traveler
Mike_M  Offline OP
Traveler
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Wouldn't mind a little advice[Linked Image]. I am a bit of an amateur photographer and have been lucky enough to have some of my scenery pictures from our travels across Canada published in a couple of magazines.[Linked Image][Linked Image]. Not bragging, just pointing out that I enjoy my photography and can be reasonably good at it.[Linked Image][Linked Image] <br><br>I like to take my 35mm various places (unless we're going somewhere where we have to leave the camera alone) and had hoped to take some pictures of the gang at Papagayos on April 5 (headshots only) some of which hopefully we can put on the TTOL later. However, I have read that the security at the north end of the beach prohibits cameras.[Linked Image][Linked Image]<br><br>Any thoughts. Should I leave the camera behind (not counting the sand/water risk to a camera)? There are those of us who love to take pictures for their artistic and recording value as opposed to "leering photos".<br><br>Besides, I only wear blacksocks with my dark blue suits [Linked Image][Linked Image], most of which I believe I will leave in Toronto[Linked Image][img]/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]<br><br>Mike M.

Mike M.
Re: Cameras & Orient Beach [Re: Mike_M] #402
03/02/2001 10:58 AM
03/02/2001 10:58 AM
Eric_Hill Offline

Traveler
Eric_Hill  Offline

Traveler
This is always hard to explain. Can it be done -- yes! But (there is always a but), you must do it the right way. Now, what is the right way -- that is the hard part.<br><br>For the party -- I imagine that it will be possible. If done properly, then we might even be able to get the staff to help. We have had the security guards do it for us in the past at other TTOL parties on the beach, so that is what I mean about it being possible. <br><br>First you always ask everybody before you even consider bringing out the camera. Second you may even ask someone else to take it for you -- you would want to be in the photo anyway. <br><br>You will get a better feel for it after you are there, and will learn when it is ok and when it is not ok. <br><br>I probably did not help any, but right off hand this is the best I can do at the moment.<br><br>[color:red] Eric Hill </font color=red><br>SXM FAQ Pages<br>

Eric Hill
TTOL Sponsors
Re: Cameras & Orient Beach [Re: Mike_M] #403
03/02/2001 10:59 AM
03/02/2001 10:59 AM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

As a rule, cameras are a no-no at the Club Orient end of the beach. I've seen the (big) guards confiscate film and take video tapes.<br><br>

Re: Cameras & Orient Beach #404
03/02/2001 11:13 AM
03/02/2001 11:13 AM
missouri
Cathyg Offline
Traveler
Cathyg  Offline
Traveler
missouri
On our last trip, there was a man who appeared to be a professional photographer with the umbrella thingys and everything, taking pictures of a beautiful Asian girl every morning on Orient beach...both in the buff. No one said a word. We all just kept walking. We have taken snapshots on the beach as well, done very discreetly. Early in the morning you will see several people taking pictures. As for the group on the 5th, I would like to have a shot as well! I am certain the staff will even help.....I will have on my TTOL t shirt.[Linked Image]<br><br>Cathy & Steve G<br>http://www.geocities.com/cathyandsteveg/<br>[Linked Image]<br>

[Linked Image]
Re: Cameras & Orient Beach [Re: Mike_M] #405
03/02/2001 11:15 AM
Toronto, Ontario
Kevin_B Offline
Traveler
Kevin_B  Offline
Traveler
Toronto, Ontario
Hi Mike:<br>What do you mean you will leave MOST of your blacksocks and blue suits back in Toronto[Linked Image]. Surely you mean ALL your blacksocks and blue suits[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image].<br>As far as the camera question is concerned, I'll leave that to the more experienced among the group. I have always taken my camera along, but only taken pictures of my wife and friends whose permission I asked. I'ld love to get a picture of the group for my personal album, but that goes against the general (and written) rule about no cameras. I look forward to hearing the response of others.<br><br><br>Kevin<br> [Linked Image]

Kevin
Re: Cameras & Orient Beach [Re: Cathyg] #406
Eric_Hill Offline

Traveler
Eric_Hill  Offline

Traveler
And for those that don't have shirts or bottoms [Linked Image], then yellow or red banners over the appropriate parts before anything is uploaded would be applied.<br><br>As many of you have seen from other party photos -- nothing is ever shown.<br><br>[color:red] Eric Hill </font color=red><br>SXM FAQ Pages<br>

Eric Hill
TTOL Sponsors
Re: Cameras & Orient Beach [Re: Eric_Hill] #407
03/02/2001 11:45 AM
03/02/2001 11:45 AM
Southern Maryland suburbs of D...
Bill_S Offline
Traveler
Bill_S  Offline
Traveler
We have found the following proceedure to be very useful.<br><br>First, and perhaps most important, is to be clearly be recognizable as "one of US" as opposed to "one of THEM". In practical terms that means you, the proposed photographer, must be totally nude, with the possible exception of sandals and a hat. Secondly, the keys to the units at Club O come on an elastic wrist band with a big plastic tag with your unit number on it....WEAR IT promenantly on one of your wrists, the room number tag flapping obviously in the breeze. The combination of being nude and displaying your unit key clearly proclaims to security "I'm a guest and I belong here!"<br><br>Secondly, carry a tote bag and keep the camera in the bag until you are setting up the shot.<br><br>Third, find one of the guards (one usually hangs around by the Perch beach bar, another by Papagayos) and ask him to take the first photo of you and your partner, going out of your way to select a location with no "innocent bystanders" in the background (even commenting verbally on the need to make sure the background is clear of others). Then thank him and you can safely take pictures of your own group as long as you "talk it up" as you assemble so it is clear that everyone in the shot agrees to it and that there is no one else in the background (or foreground for that matter).<br><br>At Papagayos, get your group together, and call a waiter over to take the shot for you (you DID leave him a big tip, didn't you?). The same background clearing rules apply. <br><br>As long as you involve the Club O staff in what your are doing, no problem, mon!<br><br>The watersports staff that sets up the umbrellas are another source of potential shutter snappers for you....once again, get someone from the Club Orient staff involved and you're home free.<br><br>For general scenic shots, go out in the early morning (nude with key as stated above) and no one will give you a problem as long as you never bring the camera to your eye when someone else is in the frame and close enough to be recognizable. Remember to keep the camera in the tote bag until you are ready to take a shot.<br><br>Enjoy!<br><br>Bill

Bill
Re: Cameras & Orient Beach [Re: Mike_M] #408
03/02/2001 12:23 PM
03/02/2001 12:23 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Mike_M Offline OP
Traveler
Mike_M  Offline OP
Traveler
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the advice. I guess one additional problem is that we will be arriving by car or on foot from Little Key. We are not actually staying at Club O. So we are already a little "suspicious"[Linked Image][Linked Image].<br><br>Perhaps I'll E-mail Club O & ask them what they think and how I should best go about this. Would certainly like some party pictures of the gang for everyone's benefit.<br><br>Banners and flags would most definitely be used before ANY picture was uploaded.[Linked Image][Linked Image].<br><br>In fact, my wife may want a full face & body banner as she sometimes doesn't like having her picture taken at all !![Linked Image][Linked Image]<br><br>Mike M.

Mike M.
Re: Cameras & Orient Beach [Re: Mike_M] #409
03/02/2001 12:43 PM
03/02/2001 12:43 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Not having stayed at Club Orinet itself I can only comment on the section of the beach in front of Esmeralda.<br><br>First off do take your camera there are plenty of oportunities to get some fantastic pictures away from the beach. In fact its something to do when you get sunburn't beyone recognition. Do not worry about your 35 mm camera, I hauled my medium format unit down to SXM and it survived.<br><br>On the beach istself I would suggest that you get one of the 35 mm disposable & water proof cameras. The exception to this would be if you walked down the beach early in the morning and took some pictures without setting your camera down. Beach sand, especially the sand on Orient, is hell on cameras. Unless you make a specific trip to the beach at another time of the day, it is to easy to get distracted by the beach itself, the next thing you know is that your camera needs a cleaning.<br><br>You will never be received well if you take photographs of people on the beach. Even asking for permission and getting it is questionable. Some people are afflicted with the inability to say no even when they want to. You can argue that thats thier problem, which it is, but do you want to be an outcast for the week or two of your vacation?<br><br>I do have one exception to photographing people which is to make a point to get in the face of people on the beach only to take photographs of other people. Sort of returning the favor if you know what I mean. Of course I'm a big guy so I can get away with that sort of thing. I've often thought that the best thing that could happen to Orient is to start up a web site devoted to the blacksock photographers.<br><br>If you really want to photograph someone, it probally would be best to only consider volunteers. Your not likely to get many and I'm not suggesting that you go around asking for such volunteers. The other option is to pay someone to model for you. Actually there is a third option which is to offer to pay someones way to SXM in exchange for the right to photgraph them.<br><br>These are just my thoughts and yes it does sound a bit negative with respect to beach photography. It was actually meant to be that way, as you do need to take care not to offend people. Note that Club Orient has its own rules regarding photography or more precisely no photography. On the other hand SXM is a beautiful Island so do enjoy your self and take a few pictures. I came back with a couple hundred. <br><br>Thanks<br>Dave<br><br><br><br><br>

Re: Cameras & Orient Beach [Re: Mike_M] #410
03/02/2001 12:51 PM
03/02/2001 12:51 PM
Bill_S Offline
Traveler
Bill_S  Offline
Traveler
One thing we forgot to mention is that we took our camera on the Tiko Tiko cruise and (with everyone's permission) got a lot of great shots. We had them processed through Club Orient's L'Orientique store and then shared with the others on the Tiko Tiko trip at happy hour 2 days after the trip.<br><br>Bill

Bill
Re: Cameras & Orient Beach [Re: Bill_S] #411
03/02/2001 01:20 PM
03/02/2001 01:20 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Take a walk just beyond the Club Orient sign (Pedros)and you can take all the pictures you want without worrying about Club Orient's rules. Take a group shot in front of the Club O sign, that would be a great shot of your party.<br><br>

Moderated by  Administrator