American Airlines 4:18 p.m. flight from Kansas City to Dallas. Overnight stay (one FF ticket) then a 6:00 a.m. flight to Miami, and finally on to SXM. All flights were on time and uneventful. Just the way we like it.

We arrived in St. Maarten at 2:01 p.m., with carry-on only for two weeks. Immediately met by Marius from St. Louis Car Rental. Received an upgrade to a new Toyota Corolla (white of course) rental car for the two weeks at $162/week. Great doing business with him.

Bob from Pack Light had already loaded our two beach chairs, and umbrella in the trunk. Also got a cell phone and an extra $10 phone card. Bob and Marius were both very prompt and we were off in record time.

Since it was Sunday we stopped at Food For Less for the barest of necessities and were quickly on our way to Orient. Arrived at L’Hoste, and by 3:15 we had dumped the bags in the room, jumped into swimsuits, and were quickly on the sand. One hour & fourteen minutes, including rental car, chairs, groceries, and check-in. This has to be a record!

This was our third stay at L’Hoste Hotel. This time we took advantage of their Summer Breeze 2-for-1 special with Jo-Ann and Marc (jomarc) whom we met through TTOL. Meeting them was definitely one of the high points of our stay. It had the very rare feel of re-acquainting with old friends. They are such genuine and friendly people. We can only hope to see them again on future visits. The only small inconvenience came the first week when the AC went out in our building and we were reassigned to another building. We really like the proximity to Tap Five and Orient Village and the room was very nice.

Nearly every day found us up by 6:00 – 6:30 without an alarm. Typically we would walk/jog the entire length “rock to rock”, then to the “Dining Hall” for continental breakfast. Fresh fruit, strong coffee, and wonderful pastries. Heavy duty lounging until time for our Elevensies at Pedro’s, then to the room for a light lunch of cheese, crackers, sardines and pate (courtesy of Jo-Ann). More SSSS (sand, surf, sun, skin), then a walk or two, and time for our Twosies, or Threesies, or both. Dinners were varied, more about that later, then generally an early turn in to start in earnest again the next day. As was previously mentioned by Jo-Ann in their trip report, we really enjoyed spending the evenings at Orient Village watching all the comings and goings, and especially the “pick-up” Petanque games. We picked up a set of balls at Team One sporting goods in Marigot, 35 Euro.

Highlights were various and numerous. As this trip was in celebration of our 25th anniversary, we spent two weeks, which was a first for us. It was the most relaxing two weeks of our lives, spent with the most wonderful and fascinating woman in the world!

The first day (Monday) was a prearranged trip to see Deepti at DK Gems as she was leaving for a wedding in Montreal on Wednesday. I had been in communication with Deepti prior to our arrival so she was expecting us. She knew what I wanted to get and had pre-selected several pieces. She knew Bonnie loves white gold, so everything was ready for us, and we had a great visit. She is so hospitable and such a joy to be around. There were no cruise ships in port so we really had time to relax and enjoy each others company. Bonnie loved the time with “her jeweler”. Jo-Ann and Marc stopped while we were there and the 5 us enjoyed a great lunch together at the Pink Pearl on Frontstreet. It was Chinese, but Deepti, I forgive you! Thanks for rearranging your scheduled departure for our arrival. We are deeply indebted to you.

A day trip to Anguilla’s Shoal Bay East was a cruise day well spent. Other highlights were a Wednesday at the Marigot Market, discovering Happy Bay, and a custom suit from Luiz. He was so much fun to visit with. An especially enjoyable highlight was meeting Ed & Sandra on Orient and then visiting with Ed as he walked the length of Orient photographing. Thanks Ed I enjoyed our talk.

Our dining experiences were varied and I can’t say we had a bad meal the entire two weeks. In order, as near as I can recall.

Sunday May 29 dinner at Cote Plages in Orient Village. I think this was new since our last visit in December ’03. Bonnie had Shark Medallions, and I had the Mahi-Mahi. Both were very good. We enjoyed the added ambiance of the live music outside.

Tuesday May 31 we had a great dinner at L’Alabama in Grand Case. Bonnie had the Veal Medallions and I had the red snapper with capers. Crème Brulee, a favorite of ours, completed a wonderful meal.

Thursday June 2 we had a great pizza at Le Pimente in Orient Village. Eating on the patio watching the petanque games was totally relaxing. The waitress there was most friendly but I must confess I don’t have her name.

Friday June 3 we went to Tabba Khady on the recommendation of Jo-Ann and Marc. We were glad we listened. I ordered the sautéed Tilapia from the fix menu which included salad and dessert. Bonnie ordered the Pork Fillet Senegalese from the regular menu. Both meals were fantastic, but the setting, as well as the personable owners, made this restaurant a favorite. The owners William and Philippe are very friendly and outgoing. We had intended to return for our final evening, but rain prompted us to stay closer to home. We’ll be back in future to be sure. 1:1 Euro was $76 including the tip.

Monday June 6 we went to Spiga at the recommendation of Ed and Sandra. It was exceptional. After salads we split the Sea Bass. Bonnie had the chocolate cake for dessert and I had the Flan. Dining on the patio, the evening, the meal, and the company were outstanding. The wait staff was exceptional. Lara was a wonderful and most gracious host in spite of obvious back pain. Lara thanks for taking the time to visit with us. We hope you are on the rebound by now.

Other notable meals were La California (1:1 Euro), Talk of The Town (homemade coconut ice cream was exceptional), Baywatch (Mussels a la Andy were to die for, suppose they ship to KC?) and Le Fish Bar.

Bonnie spent the trip breathing in her surroundings and repeating a line from Meg Ryan in French Kiss. “Beautiful”. Those of you familiar will know.

Thanks to the TTOL members and this wonderful board. You have allowed us the format to not only learn many valuable things about our favorite destination, but have provided us the opportunity to meet wonderful new friends. Marc and Jo-Ann you were such a joy to meet. We are envious of your trip scheduled later this year. Your zest for life is infectious. We really enjoyed our time together.

With the exception of two very brief (10 minute) showers, the only rain we encountered bagan about 7:00 p.m. the evening prior to our departure. It rained the day we left but appeared to be clearing as we were leaving. The trip home, in spite of delays in San Juan and Chicago was uneventful. Landing only 20 minutes later than originally scheduled. We had a truly wonderful two weeks and can’t image seeing any other destination in the foreseeable future. I fear we are in a SXM rut. We couldn’t be happier!

Jeff & Bonnie

See our Photo Albums http://s217.photobucket.com/albums/cc119/myislandartcom/
An Island Boy in a Landlocked State:(
Twitter: @MyIslandArtJeff