OK - here you go! (I don't know how to post photos here)

EDEN REVISITED

Text & photos by Bruce Bishop (courtesy of the author) c. 2004

First published in TAN - The Australian Naturist, March-May 2005

When you Aussies have had enough of your summer, and cooler temps prevail, some of you may elect to visit the islands between North and South America in the great Caribbean Sea.

The second-largest island of the Antilles, Hispaniola (from Spanish, La Española) lies east of Cuba and is comprised of two nations: pitifully poor Haiti, and the far richer Dominican Republic. It is on the north coast of the "D.R." that you’ll find the historic city of Puerto Plata (and its international airport) and the lush, tropical and fully naturist Eden Bay Resort.

There are really only two other truly naturist resorts in the Caribbean: Club Orient, founded in 1978 in Saint Martin (French West Indies); and the Sorobon Beach Resort, built in 1984, in Bonaire (Netherlands Antilles). Both offer terrific naturist accommodation and services. Now Eden Bay can be added to the list of true naturist spots - owned by and catering to the international naturist community. Forget any coy "clothing optional" section or "nude and prude" parts of this resort: if you want to be nude 24 hours a day, seven days a week here, anywhere on the property, it’s supported and actually encouraged.

Arriving on an evening flight direct from Toronto, Canada, allowed for an easy walk-through customs and immigration. My driver to Eden Bay, Ramón, was holding a colourful sign introducing his Resort affiliation, and as we drove the hour-long trip along darkened, rural roads to the Resort, I sipped a beer (maybe two!) and wallowed in the warm evening temperatures. No "air con" for me, por favor!

The long entranceway to the Resort, illuminated by hundreds of twinkly lights on rows of tall palm trees, was like driving into an exclusive enclave that had long been promised. As I was about to be shown my beachside bungalow, I was introduced to many naturists along the way who were playing cards, chess and other board games in the expansive, open-air lobby of the hotel. It was blissfully serene, with only the sounds of the palm fronds swaying in the breeze and the idle chatter of vacationers relaxing. I couldn’t wait to see what the place would look like in the daytime.

After settling in my bungalow and shedding my winter clothing, I walked back to the main building to chat with some of the guests. Eden Bay clearly had an international feel to it, as the guests I immediately met hailed from Belgium, New York and Canada’s west coast. The manageress of the Resort, Patricia, is a native of France who has lived in the Dominican Republic with her American-born husband for many years. I wasn’t too amazed to hear that there were other French nationals and even a small entourage of Russians also staying at the Resort at the same time.

Daylight brought with it bright sun, fluffy clouds and scenery that was unmatched by other naturist resorts I have visited. Eden Bay is divided into two sections: a main hotel building which houses the administrative area, the main dining room, a disco, a gift shop and an outdoor pool, bar and hot tub. The other "section", down a flight of concrete steps (or gently sloping lane), is a collection of bungalows, two more pools, another hot tub, a manmade beach with volleyball court, and an outdoor dining area and bar. No one would ever feel hemmed in here! The view over the ocean is stunning; one really begins to feel the expansiveness of the Resort when in this area.

I’m not usually one for group games, but it seemed fitting to try beach volleyball for the first time with my team of international nudists (some of whom played as badly as I!), and then to venture into one of the pools to continue the game there. There was a real feeling of camaraderie in this secluded part of the island, on a day when you’d just like it to stand still.

Another feature of Eden Bay not found at other exclusively naturist resorts in the Caribbean was its all-inclusive status. This means that all drinks, meals and snacks are included in your resort fee. Buffets are common at these kind of resorts, but Eden Bay prefers to allow its guests to order á la carte from menus with a surprisingly wide range of choices. Be careful, though, of eating and drinking too many fresh fruits, juices, vegetables and glasses of water in your first couple of days - let your stomach slowly acclimatize itself to its new non-additive surroundings!

Peggy and Mike, a couple from the midwestern U.S., acted as activities directors while I was there, and one couldn’t have met a more lively, fun couple. This former aerobics instructor/hairdresser, and her Chiropractor husband, made everyone feel at ease and there was never any pressure to join in on games that might take you away from your all-important sunbathing session or favourite novel. I hope they enjoy a long contract with Eden Bay.

Overall, Eden Bay was a perfect antidote to a typical Canadian winter of snow and ice…but it impressed me as the kind of spot where one would visit at any time. The Dominican staff was very friendly and accommodating, and from the landscaping to the food preparation to the housekeeping, there was an obvious feeling of pride seen in their work. Certainly the surroundings, reminiscent of what the first Garden of Eden might have looked like, are inspirational for locals and us international naturists, too.