Member Spotlight
Droner
Droner
Texas
Show All Member Profiles 
Today's Birthdays
Bonheur
Who's Online Now
20 registered members (LINNY, Todd_Melinda_K, BillB42, deliveryskipper, Billtjw, Manpot, stevel13, GaryC, Todd, jrw, blob, timnboston, bobbarb, alecu7, Ifeltlikeagringo, steve74, 4 invisible), 1,283 guests, and 116 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Where is the best beach in the BVI #40
10/11/2000 01:26 PM
10/11/2000 01:26 PM
Shar Offline OP
Traveler
Shar  Offline OP
Traveler
In the tradition of BOB! on the SXM board - let's see if we can get this going with a question?<br><br>What is your favorite beach in the BVI?<br><br>I think my favorite is Sandy Spit. We like to sail over there early in the morning before anyone else is there and have it all to ourselves. It is absolutely gorgeous.<br><br>Another favorite is White Bay on Jost - Love the dinghy ride over from Great Harbor and hitting the beach and all the great bars. If you feel adventurous - follow the trail behind the campground and get some great views of the other side of the island (the wild side) and of White Bay.<br><br>Come on - what's your favorite?<br><br>Shar<br><br>

Re: Where is the best beach in the BVI [Re: Shar] #41
10/11/2000 01:32 PM
10/11/2000 01:32 PM
Tulsa, OK
Jessica Offline
Traveler
Jessica  Offline
Traveler
Tulsa, OK
Sandy Spit is luscious! Really really wonderful...great sand, beautiful water, great snorkeling, great photo opportunity, etc. Good call, Shar!<br><br>I am REALLY partial to Anegada's Loblobby Bay. This place blew my mind...swam amongst gorgeous fish, conchs everywhere, wonderful locals,and so on...<br><br>

Jessica
"...I'm making my Tortola run!" -Quito Rymer
Re: Where is the best beach in the BVI [Re: Jessica] #42
10/11/2000 02:00 PM
10/11/2000 02:00 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

To be honest, I won't reveal my first choice, because the fact that we're sometimes the only ones there makes it awfully special. However, Smuggler's cove on Tortola and Devil's Bay on Virgin Gorda are right up there too. On Beef Island, Long Bay beach is superb and on Virgin Gorda, Savannah Bay is extraordinary - but can occasionally be dangerous with a strong undertow too. We used to really enjoy Cane Garden Bay as a true classic Caribbean spot - but it's gottem much too crowded, in many ways.<br><br>

Re: Where is the best beach in the BVI [Re: Shar] #43
10/12/2000 02:18 PM
10/12/2000 02:18 PM
suburban Dallas, Texas
RaySnow Offline
Traveler
RaySnow  Offline
Traveler
suburban Dallas, Texas
This is no easy question, because there are so many wonderful BVI beaches from which to choose. I really can find no fault with any of the beaches already named here, either. I've enjoyed snorkeling at Smugglers Cove, Brewers Bay, White Bay, Sandy Spit, Mahoe Beach, Spring Bay, Devil's Bay, and of course the Baths. But my personal favorite beach is Valley Little Trunk Bay on Virgin Gorda, because it is usually empty or almost so and has so many unique giant boulders thrown around in the water and along the beach. God, I wish I were there now!<br><br> Ray Snow

Re: Where is the best beach in the BVI #44
10/13/2000 12:08 PM
10/13/2000 12:08 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

[Linked Image]I agree that Devil's Bay is one of the best, but...last year, there were so many people and boats, I almost forget why it was my favorite. We've learned to get there early or late in the afternoon and to stay away at mid-day.<br><br>Sheila<br><br>

Re: Where is the best beach in the BVI [Re: Shar] #45
10/13/2000 12:25 PM
10/13/2000 12:25 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Shar,<br><br>I have two favorites, one for snorkelling and one for beach combing. Spring bay on V.G. just down the hill<br>from the baths is my favorite for snorkelling. It has great underwater structures right off the beach and a point<br>with underwater cave out and to the right as you are swimming away from shore..also much less crowded than<br>the baths...For pure beauty and unspoiled visuals i like loblolly bay beach on anegada...take a long walk in<br>either direction and you are the only ones on earth..can't wait to go again in 7 weeks....keith<br><br>

Re: Where is the best beach in the BVI [Re: Shar] #46
10/21/2000 04:35 PM
10/21/2000 04:35 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

Been to many of the beaches mentioned but where is sandy spit?<br><br>

Re: Where is the best beach in the BVI [Re: Shar] #47
10/25/2000 03:37 PM
10/25/2000 03:37 PM

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

If you are sailing and know the area fairly well, there is a terrific (tiny) beach at Fallen Jerusalem. If there is no swell, (which is rare) its an amazing place for a midafternoon picnic and snorkel.<br><br>

Re: Where is the best beach in the BVI #48
10/25/2000 03:46 PM
10/25/2000 03:46 PM
suburban Dallas, Texas
RaySnow Offline
Traveler
RaySnow  Offline
Traveler
suburban Dallas, Texas
Sandy Spit is a tiny islet just south of Green Cay which is just east of Little Jost Van Dyke which is northeast of Jost Van Dyke. It's a very popular spot with bareboat sailors.[Linked Image]<br><br> Ray Snow

Re: Where is the best beach in the BVI [Re: Shar] #49
10/25/2000 10:09 PM
10/25/2000 10:09 PM
Upstate New York near Albany
Cristie Offline
Traveler
Cristie  Offline
Traveler
Hi Shar...<br>Boy oh boy thats a hard question..[Linked Image] I think my list would include Sandy Cay, Green Cay, White Bay, Smugglers, Cane Garden, Brewers, Long Bay on Beef Island. Marina Cay is nice. All of Anegadas' beaches. A particular favorite is Devils Bay especially when you're showing your friends for the first time. After climbing through the Baths, walking down this secluded path next to boulders as big as a house, the path covered with vines and foliage and then you come to this spectacular beach, very small and guarded again on both ends by these giant boulders. The expression on guests face after seeing it for the first time is unforgettable, like seeing the most spectacular place on earth, almost like a vision, maybe even a happening...some people have been known to become weak in the knees at that moment, maybe even light headed...certainly faint of heart...[Linked Image]...well anyway its a nice place to visit...<br><br>But I think when you're at a really great place, with really great friends, meeting really great people, having a really great time; the beach that you're on at the time is the best of all..[Linked Image]<br><br>Regards.....Cristie[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]<br><br>

Re: Where is the best beach in the BVI [Re: Cristie] #50
10/30/2000 11:25 AM
10/30/2000 11:25 AM
Shar Offline OP
Traveler
Shar  Offline OP
Traveler
Cristie, You are so right about the best beach being the one you are at - We just got back from Destin FL late last night and the beaches there are gorgeous - this time of the year they are basically empty. The temperatures was 85 during the day lows of 65 at night and not a cloud in the sky the whole week we were there. - I didn't want to come home again.<br><br>Shar<br><br>

Re: Where is the best beach in the BVI [Re: Shar] #51
10/31/2000 11:35 PM
10/31/2000 11:35 PM
Cristie Offline
Traveler
Cristie  Offline
Traveler
Hi Shar...When I was in Pensacola we spent a lot of time not only at Pensacola Beach, but at Santa Rosa, Navarre Beach, Destin, and the Ft Walton Beach area. Some of the best beaches in the world. I noticed the beach sand was different from what I was used to seeing and it was explained that it was a quartz sand that had washed down from the Georgia area over millions of years...[Linked Image]...very interesting...[Linked Image]<br><br>Being a WWII history buff we would head over to Mobile and climb all over the USS Alabama, a battle ship on display in Mobile harbour. Sometimes I would spend all day roaming around that ship...[Linked Image]...from top to bottom...They also had a diesel submarine on display, I think it was the USS Skate...I had definitely found hog heaven...[Linked Image]...After they threw me out at closing time we would head over to Biloxi for some gambling...<br><br>I have nothing but fond memories of that area and have often thought about stopping back for a few days...on my way to the BVIs...of course...<br><br>I'm glad to read you enjoyed the area as well...<br><br> [Linked Image]...<br><br>Regards.....Cristie [Linked Image]<br><br>

Re: Where is the best beach in the BVI [Re: Cristie] #52
11/01/2000 03:24 PM
11/01/2000 03:24 PM
Shar Offline OP
Traveler
Shar  Offline OP
Traveler
Cristie - I have been enjoying those beaches for 20 years now - My sister-in-law now lives in Niceville - but before lived in Navarre and Mary Esther. They are booming big time down there - in fact my husband and I have purchased a couple of townhomes there in the last few years and rent them out to tourists as a hedge against inflation. We have always wanted to retire there but were afraid that prices would skyrocket and we wouldn't be able to afford beachfront in 8 years. Hopefully this way we can sell both and buy what we want when we get down there. Spent most of last week painting and doing general maintenance - But still enjoyed it.<br><br><br>Shar<br><br>

Moderated by  Administrator