In the past my wife and I have celebrated our anniversary if possible, with a trip to the BVI without our kids. This year for our Twenty First Anniversary, we decided that we had milked it enough and it was time for them to tag along…my only regret is we did not do it earlier. The experience of discovering “Natures Little Secret" again through the eyes of a ten and thirteen year old was truly amazing.

Day one- Houston to St Thomas via Miami basically painless other than the normal one-hour delay in Miami…getting bumped to First/Business both legs made it easy. Decided earlier we would not rush to make the Ferry so had planned a night at the Holiday Inn. Military rate of $99.00 helped…Hotel is undergoing room renovations and is convenient…Cab driver tried to overcharge me on published rates from the airport…Manager’s reception and music were entertaining…and as an Aviator there is nothing better than getting a front row seat from you balcony, drinking rum and coke, watching Sea Planes take off and land. Hurricane Emily had also committed to going south, so I breathed a sigh of relief.

Day two- after a mourning of shopping at the market we catch the 1200 Fast Ferry (Substitute Boat as the Cat is out of service) to Roadtown. Check in at Ft Burt Hotel, kids swim while I check in with Conch Charters across the street and confirm a.m. departure.
We ate dinner at the Pub. The weather showed a strong feeder band from Hurricane Emily heading our way that hit around 10p.m. The estimated winds were gusting to 45-50 mph and knocked out the power in Roadtown for most of the night…just part of the adventure…good training for the girls for no A.C. on the boat.

Day three- I hauled the bags across the street to Conch Charters and “Candis Lynne” a Benetau 445 which is home for the next eight days. An older boat, well maintained with excellent sails and canvas, a typical Conch value. All systems worked and worked well, the only problem I could report after eight days was that one of the Salon fans was not working. Boat sailed well and more important refrigeration worked great! Bobbies arrived on time...thanks Leon. Received an abbreviated Chart Brief from Adam and normal Boat Brief from Miles…For my paying attention and making sure the wife was in a bikini I was rewarded with a almost new dingy which a ten year old could start on the first pull, and lots of help leaving the dock. Weather was still a little dicey from Emily but was expected to improve rapidly. Spent the first night at Kelly’s cove outside the Bight…the crew snorkeled Water Point and the cove while I reviewed boat systems and secured the boat for possible weather and cook dinner…they swam with and were able to touch a friendly Sea Turtle (Haksbill or Green) . This swim with the Turtle lasted for almost a half hour…what a great start for my girls.

Day Four- After a night of hatch drills and a little swell induced from Emily I move the boat over to the caves while the girls were still sleeping. A quick snorkel of the caves and breakfast and we were off to Cane Garden Bay with our mission of seeing Quito and the Edge. Along the way, I taught my youngest Emily (Not the Hurricane) the basics of GPS navigations and like any computer literate ten year old was showing me features I normally don’t use within 10 minutes… so much for dads skill of flying complex military aircraft for 20 years and working with nav systems…Set the hook just outside the swim area in front of the cemetery and cracked a victory beer. We dingy ashore to drop trash and grab a few things at Bobbies…spent the day on the beach with the dogs and girls catching small crabs (All released unharmed!) Attended Happy hour at Myett’s…one of my favorite places to relax. We had dinner on the boat, and then to the Gazebo to see the Edge. Met Malcolm, Rita, and her new Husband at the bar. I feel bad did not get to talk to Rita other than the intro. I introduce my youngest to Quito, as she wanted to hear “Birdie” and is a huge fan. Quito complied with the second song of the first set, remembering her name and dedicating the song to her. Malcolm and I discussed the opportunity for Quito to do a children’s CD that would be universally accepted…just think “Birdie” “Little Feet” and many others are already kid favorites… if anyone has any influence on Quito… I can tell you I don’t know any 10 year old that isn’t an instant fan when they are exposed to his music…so much better than some of the junk that pollutes the airwaves…Thanks to Manpot for helping take up the slack with all the women I had to dance with…

Day five- White Bay Jost, Ivan’s, Soggy Dollar, Beach, Snorkel, Dinner on the boat. If you been there you know what I’m talking about.

Day Six- Left White Bay early pulled into Soper’s for breakfast at Jolly Roger…suggest the full English Breakfast…en route up the Drake to somewhere…but the girls were about to Mutiny if I did not go back to Cain Garden Bay…There really is something special about CGB! More beach…More chasing Crabs only this time my girls had made crab chasing friends. We had dinner on the boat and a quiet night.

Day seven – Early departure to North Sound…I’m happy, as it’s over 20 plus miles of dragging baits…girls sleep until about Monkey Point. Fishing is been a bust so far but picked up a large Barracuda out of Marina Cay (Over twenty pounds), which released at the boat prior to pictures by severing my 150lb leader. Pulled into Leverick in North Sound and had a showers and swim in the pool. We decided to head to BEYC. Leverick had some heavy equipment working around the pool and bar area causing a lot of noise. We had Lunch at the BEYC Pub and as always the Cuban sandwich is not only the best value in North Sound it’s the best Cuban sandwich period. The movie that night was “Shark Tales” and the girls loved it.

Day eight- Boats stays…My wife and Anne my oldest went diving with Kilbrides to Ginger Island, but weather changes the dive sight to the lee side of Ginger and the Aquarium off Spanish Town. Emily and I head for supplies at Gun Creek in the dingy and hang out on the beach playing tether ball…weather is constant squall lines. Its Caribbean Night so the Latitude Stars are playing, Girls watch Finding Nemo and we get to dance. I really like the BEYC and always will!

Day nine- We head for the Baths and have a great sail all the way down…fished with some success (Bonita released) and able to snag a mooring ball prior to the second rush at lunch time. Snorkeled the Boulders and went to the top of the Baths for lunch…this was our first time to the restaurant and will not be our last. This was the only place where conch fritters or Conch anything was not available due to the current harvest restriction. Another great sail to Marina Cay where we pulled in for the night…not much happening for happy hour so went back ate dinner and called it a night.

Day ten- Off to Monkey Point to snorkel and explore, beat the rush to the parks mooring balls, caught a couple on Bonita along the way, all released…Enjoyed large schools of Cuttle fish and saw for the first time this trip a couple of Moon Jellies that were easily avoided…great snorkeling in general! Departed for Trellis and finally put up the fishing gear after two more hookups and releases on small Bonita. Tonight is the Full moon party and the last night on the boat. We grab a Mongoose ball and make reservations for dinner at my favorite BVI restaurant. We clean up the boat have a cocktail and witnessed a Virgin Traders Motor Yacht take out the bow pulpit of a sailboat secured on a mooring. Dinner was fantastic and we enjoyed the Full moon party. If you have never been, it is a treat and is a true family event. The Lover Boys were playing and had Mocko Jumbie dancers that are truly amazing.

Day eleven and twelve- Dropped of the boat at Conch said our goodbyes until next year and Fast Ferried (Speedies Substitute) back to St Thomas for another night at the Holiday Inn Windward passage followed by an uneventful American Airlines flights with a connection in Miami to Houston and home.

I asked my ten year old what was the worst part of the trip…Her answer sums it all up!

“ Dad, I wish we had longer to snorkel at the Baths”