I'm just back on Bequia having gone with a bunch of other Bequia-based folk (locals, tourists and expats) to Martinique on easy cruise. www.easycruise.com

What a wonderful addition to the other interisland travel options available on Bequia! One picks up the boat in Kingstown late in the day; it sails overnight to Martinique. Then the next night, it brings you right back to Bequia.

There is lots of time in port...we managed to fit in an island tour, shopping in Fort de France and the new Galeria, and a brilliant dinner ashore in a classic French resto.

The easycrew passengers were not at all the lager lout crowd that apparently prevails in the ship's cruises in the Mediterranean...mostly older, well travelled, not short of a bob and many, like us, actually staying on Bequia and wanting to try something new.

The ship was clean, service was excellent, prices were moderate and there was good value all round - cheap but not cheesy. I was impressed and, by way of comparison, my favourite cruise line is Seabourn...can't stand Princess, Carnival et al.

The easy cruise itinerary is very convenient for Bequia...as well as the Martinique option, another little loop provides an alternate way to get to Barbados via Grenada. I'm thinking of this as a going-home route instead of one of the regional airlines.

Booking over the internet was a bit of a pain but the call centre service took care of most problems. One must book at least 48 hours before boarding.