Hi all,

better late than never?

Trip was with my 2 sons (12&16) My friend and his daughter (9). My wife was recovering and couldn't come as some of you know.

12-26 Only part of flight worth mentioning is the SJU-EIS leg with Air Sunshine. Was sched. to leave at 5PM. Arrived at Beef Island at 4:45 (I know lol). To quote the airline rep, "Everyone is here, let just go ok?" Best flight to BVI ever.

12-27: Left marina around 9:30 AM to sail to Trellis to pick up Joey and Lex. Had worst meal of trip at Cyber Cafe. Guy working the bar (Bald white guy with Bandanna) was the biggest jerk I've ever met in the BVI. (PM if you want details) I'll NEVER GO BACK to the CYBER CAFE AGAIN. and.. I encourage EVERYONE ELSE TO AVOID IT. (That's how bad this guy pissed me off, my kids were even shocked at this guy and how rude he was).

We played with my son RC boat off the transom. Was fun jumping it off the passing dinghy's wakes. Had dinner at the Last Resort. Very Nice.

Highlight of the day was the impromptu meeting up with Capt Tony. Was great to see him again and I'm SO glad the kids got to meet him after hearing so much about him.

12-28: Left early to head to Monkey Point. Snorkling was avg because of visibility. The motored over the White Bay (Guana) for a quick swim and lunch. Off to Diamond Cay by 1PM.

My son ordered his first ever drink (Pina Colada) and soon after we walked to the bubbley Pool. The swell was up and the pool was in good form. It was great fun.

Back to the boat and I went for a drift snorkle along the south side of Little Jost with the 2 young ones.

(Side note: Before the trip, Lex told me that the only thing she was worried about was sharks. I told her that absolutely "In all my trips to the BVI, and all those times snorkling, I have NEVER seen a shark. They dont come out in the daytime")

Well, I had Joey in the dinghy and he dropped us at the east side of the drift. I told him to keep us between himself and the shoreline. Halfway through the snorkel I heard him yelling. I looked up and saw him between us and the shore. He said he didnt want to start the engine cause it was too shallow. I told him to use the oars, told the kids to "wait right here" and started to swim the 15 yards toward Joey when, yes, I saw a shark.

It was about a 5 foot long reef shark. It startled me at first cause I didn't expect to see it. It swam off (soooo cool) and I reversed my course back to the kids in case it turned toward them (I didnt want them to see it without me there).

I asked them if they were done and they wanted to keep snorkling. I said ok and we didnt see Jaws again. I didn't tell them about it till the last night at dinner. My boy wished he would have seen it too.

Watched stars at night and sailed over to White Bay (Jost) the next morning. Had another awesome snorkel experience there.

Near evening there was an extremely dark patch on the water about 15 yards in diameter. I pointed it out to my oldest boy and he said it was just the bottom. I kept watching the pelicans dive into it and as it moved another 30 yards to the west, I called my boy up to look at it again. He said "Wow, you're right Dad"

He got his mask and fins on and swam over to it and yelled for us to join. I was the last to arrive (wanted to be done swimming for the day but was pursuaded) to see the thickest school of little silversides I've ever seen. The anchorage in White Bay in only about 8 feet deep and I couldn't even come close to seeing through this school.

Then the Tarpon would swim by. Huge tarpon!!! Dozens of them. The tarpon seemed to be swimming under them and herding them. Very very cool. The kids loved it.

Next morning we were off to CGB via Sandy Cay. Stingray sighting on the way into Sandy Cay.

My biggest regret of the trip was that evening. I went to Quitos to meet Malcomb. Walker and Nancy were there too. My regret is that the music was so loud that I couldn't really talk with them.

Malcomb, I saw you again the next evening and I very much hope to meet up with you there again. We will have to do a sail together. You are great fun.

Walker and Nancy, Same thing. I have read just about every page of your website. I almost feel as if I know you. I don't think many people have done more for Anegada than you as far as helping more people get there and enjoy it. I know that your Nav aids made it possible for me to feel comfortable going there. I thank you for that and hope to get to spend some time talking with you some time in the future.

A fun NYE at CGB.

Off to Norman for our last evening. Visibility there was the best of the trip (60-70 feet).

The Baths were the most crowded I have ever seen. Really too bad it has become so crowded. They were giving "GUIDED TOURS" through the crawl. My only question is "Are you kidding me?"

<sigh> Oh well.

My kids were great the whole trip. It went much better than I had hoped. It was a very good bonding trip for us 3 and under the circumstances it went great.

Gary T