PART THREE:
Driving on SXM:
Driving on SXM is similar to other right side drive islands but of late the driving is getting slower. While certainly there are more cars on SXM than ever, there have been improvements such a new bypasses and roundabouts which should have eased problems- but have not. I personally think that the problem is the inability of many drivers to understand the right of way rules. Many who do not have the right of way take it and those with the right of way won’t take it leading to confusion and slowing of traffic. I don’t know how many times I was nearly hit while in a roundabout (where I had the right of way) by cars that were insisting on getting into the roundabout. And of course there are those who simply stop during rush hour to chat with a friend.

Suicyclists are back in force. While I have always thought that slicing between opposing lanes of traffic with a motorcycle is dangerous, the latest trend is to slice lanes with four wheel motorcycles. Plus even worse I saw on several occasions on the French side, motorcycles take to the sidewalks to get around traffic and scattering the pedestrians in all directions.

Potholes remain a problem but in a different way than in the past. The potholes are smaller in diameter than in the past but much deeper. At times you can see that they have eroded through 3 layers of asphalt.. Hitting them even at 25 mph feels like they are taking off the wheel. The road to the Butterfly Farm is a disgrace. Another year of neglect and I fear you will need 4 wheel drive high clearance vehicles to negotiate it.

Gasoline: we purchased most of our gas in Orleans. 83 cents a liter US. $1US= 1Euro.

Bad Things:
The only bad moment of our trip was getting overcharged at the Tap 5 catering in Orient Village. My wife went into the store and bought a rotisserie chicken. In April they were $8 US, this time she was charged $22 US. She doesn’t like to make a fuss so she paid it. I almost took it back.

One night we ate a light supper at Bananas. This was our first experience at this restaurant. We had a total of two bottled waters and 2 cheeseburgers for which we were charged $64 US. The order was scribbled on the bill so I challenged it and they brought another bill for about $24. I suspect the first bill was someone else’s, but as there was only one other couple in the dining area, I felt in was inexcusable.

Unfortunately, the trip was too short and all too soon we were on our way back home. Our check-in at the USAir counter took all of 5 minutes including the cursory luggage inspection. It made me never want to travel on American again as their lines are so long and inefficient. The service by USAir was on time.

All in all this was a great vacation. I will post a separate report on Club O in the appropriate forum soon.

RAJ Richard