It having been called to my attention that I forgot, neglected to or whatever post a trip report for March/April 2005, I have assembled our Dec 2005 trip report. This is part 1 which covers travel to SXM, TTOL parties and restaurants.
PART ONE:
This trip report covers the period of Nov 30, 2005 – December 14, 2005.
We traveled on USAirways using frequent flyer miles. Jim and Mary Ruos of Caribbean Island Travel Services (a TTOL Sponsor) made our reservations at Club O. We rented a Beach Chalet in near perfect spot - #82. I don’t know how Jim and Mary do it, but they always manage to get us right where we want to be. They also were able to get us a special price on a Hertz car rental. After using a number of rental agencies, we have for some time rented from Hertz because the have good cars and a big fleet. We use Diner’s Club for the payment so as to avoid the necessity of buying PCDW.

How should I describe this vacation? Great seems too ho hum. Maybe FANTASTIC! Is better. Weather was great. Except for 2 days of higher than average wind, the weather was the most pleasant that we have ever experienced in SXM. It was warm but not hot and not very humid.

Orient Beach had more sand than it has had in several years except in front of Club O. The sand in front of Club O is good but has eroded some since our March/April 2005 trip. The sand in front of Baywatch must be 60 or more feet! Last August, there was hardly enough sand for Baywatch to have one row of beach chairs.

We attended the TTOL party at Los Gauchos on Dec 3 that was organized by “Belaire”. She did an excellent job and there must have been at least 50 people present. Vicki made wonderful nametags for everyone so we could put faces to screen names. Los Gauchos was a new favorite that we had discovered in downtown P-burg last April. Recently it moved to the Pelican Resort. It remains a great restaurant. The restaurant gave a 10% discount for TTOL members the night of the party. Throughout the party, Los Gauchos provided copious quantities of delicious snacks at no charge. Every family also received a SXM beach bag from Belaire.

Another restaurant, which we enjoyed was the new White Swan. We had eaten there once when it was on the waterfront in Simpson Bay, but were not impressed with service or food taste. However it has moved into the old “New York Chinese Restaurant” location and we can report that service is quick and food quality and value is excellent. As an aid in finding the new location, it is on the opposite side of the side street next to Pizza Hut in Simpson Bay. Prices are moderate.

As always we found the Poulet d’Orleans to be a great restaurant. Prices are moderate to cheap. Meals include a plethora of fresh vegetables. Unlike some restaurants where the food looks better than it tastes, at Poulet d’Orleans the food presentation is excellent and the food tastes as good as it looks. We highly recommend this restaurant. Meals include chicken, fish, steak and specials of the day.

As far as beach bars, it is hard to not like Baywatch near Club O. The food is excellent and moderately priced. There is a great selection on the menu and there are daily specials. The dress code is whatever you want it to be. Remember they don’t take credit cards and are closed on Mondays. They are open for breakfast and lunch.

Baywatch was also the site for the December 7, TTOL party sponsored by Aimless. For the party, Baywatch stayed open for an evening meal. Aimless did a great job and the party was highly attended by TTOL members. There was a modified menu for the evening. And many of the attendees spent a lot of time dancing.