My trip report will be very boring but I will post anyway.
The trip down was uneventful. Took Continental from Newark. Left on time and arrived on time. Rented from Kenny’s and although he said he would be a little late meeting us, he was there and ready with our car which was good for the 2 weeks stay. We asked not to have a spare tire and also no hub caps but he left the caps on saying that we would not be responsible if they were taken. No problem there.

Stayed at the Royal Islander and as usual, everything was wonderful. No issues at all. Met a few new people there but also saw all the same people we have had the pleasure to befriend thru the years. It was like a homecoming seeing them all and made us one big happy family for the 2 weeks stay, while we all hung out at the pool and did the basic catch-up.

We did not tour much this year, sticking close to home except to give my in-laws a tour of the island while on their one day stopover from the Norwegian Dawn. Just a point though…the guards at the lot told us that we could not get a pass to park in the lot which then became VERY hairy for a time. Rick had to park and wait in an entranceway prior to the lot while I stood and scanned the area at the gate where passengers need to walk thru to get out. I stood there for about ½ hour getting very nervous as my MIL has severe breathing problems. It just happened to be one of the only days that it was very humid so that made matters worse. Eventually I saw them in the distance and waved them over, glad to see that they were OK. They loved the island and although I feared that my MIL would not enjoy herself, she did! Yeay!

The guards were adamant about not allowing me in and didn’t care about my situation. I do understand the security issue though so I took it in stride.

Rick and I went to the Old House which we both thoroughly enjoyed. We also went to the Zoo on an iffy day and enjoyed that as well. Very cute!

If there’s anything I have to say about traveling to the island is that planning is the key to enjoying SXM without any hassles. Timing is everything. We toured the island when the weather was questionable and totally enjoyed the Maho area while the weather was gorgeous. We hit no traffic except to take the in-laws back to the dock (thru Simpson Bay). To avoid the traffic on our return from the dock, we went via the loooooooong way around Orient, Marigot, Sandy Ground, and then home. Not only did we not hit traffic but the scenery, as usual, made it a pleasurable ride. We didn’t care that it actually took us maybe 15-20 minutes longer but we did not encounter any stop and go traffic back. Ahhhhhh…the pleasures of not having to look at your watch.

We ate at Pineapple Pete’s, Los Gauchos, Pizza Pasta, The Boathouse, Peg Leg, Paris Bistro, Cheri’s, Le Croissanterie (sp), and Le Galleon. We also ate at the Tortuga restaurant right in the RI property and the food this year was so much better for lite eating. Regarding Le Galleon in Marigot we did not realize that the prices were in Euro’s so I recommend that you ask before sitting down to any restaurant in Marigot. I totally recommend that if eating a lite lunch at the Marina in Marigot you try Le Croissanterie as their prices are half of the others and the food is so good. Actually Sunday is the best day to do this as they are open until 2PM and there's plenty of parking because most stores are closed. Also not as crowded to make it a great leasurely day.

Although most will not care about our tour of Rainbow Beach Club, a few will so here goes… The place is coming along well. They are working hard to get the place done. The Cliff is really an eyesore right now as most will agree. Maybe when it is done it will be pretty but it just does not seem to conform to a small tropical island. Rainbow is more like the Royal Islander design which is low and resort-like. We got a tour of some of the units and they were beautifully designed. Our section, the Towers, will most probably not be ready until Feb 2007 (pending any hurricanes next year). That is fine for us as we are not in any hurry. I took photos and will post them later for those that are interested.

The TTOL party at Los Gauchos went well, I think. I know that we had fun! Loved meeting everyone…Liesa, the owner, did an outstanding job of making all those attending feel welcomed and the food was abundant as well as delicious. Rick took me there the next night for our anniversary and the food was outstanding!!! We have now found this to be so much better than the Argentine Restaurant and will go to Los Gauchos instead. I recommend this restaurant highly. Again, thanks Kathy for co-hosting!!! All-in-all, I believe it turned out well. In fact I managed to track down 3 of the no-shows to give them their name tags (they arrived on the island late on the day of the party).

The weather was picture perfect the entire 2 weeks and we couldn’t ask for more. We both didn’t get sick either. We used the necessary precautionary meds prior to boarding the plane and so we got to enjoy the entire 2 weeks without incident.

The plane ride home was also smooth. Slept most of the way. The US Air counter had lines going out the door but American and Continental were maybe 3 people deep from what I saw. I just can not wait for the new airport to be ready though!!! The crowds were enormous and the heat was unbearable in the seating area. We were not there long enough to enjoy the lounge upstairs but if we had arrived sooner, maybe would have taken advantage of the lounge.

Finally I would like to thank all for all their input and advice! And thanks to Carol and Eric for providing this invaluable site! Our trips have become even more pleasurable because of this.

I can’t say that I am happy to be home and shoveling snow but I can say that I am happy to know that in about 350 days we will be returning to the island again!

[Linked Image]

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.