Off to Jost Van Dyke. Once again the ferry was on time, went from the Road Town Dock to West End for the ferry to JVD and it was on time as well. Grabbed a ride over to Gertrude’s. Olga showed me the room and as I went inside I thought what a mistake this was. It was so hot in there I didn’t know how I would sleep. Boy was I wrong. The breezes picked up that evening and cooled the room off so well that I slept like a baby. I hadn’t told my friends on island that I was coming, they knew I had gone to Anegada but as is the norm last minute reservations at Sandcastle were not possible. This of course did not stop me from spending time there and dining. My favorite time at Sandcastle/Soggy Dollar starts about 6 when the day trippers are gone and quiet reigns. Cocktail hour with the dinner guests and a wonderful meal from Oliver and my day is complete. Well, maybe some after dinner drinks and socializing.

I got organized at Gertrude’s and walked next door to the Soggy Dollar. First person I ran into was my friend Donna who was visiting with her husband Gary. I’ve known them for a while, they used to have my regular room the week before I would come. Donna became good friends with Debbie (owner) and started staying on to help out, then started coming down to fill in on occasion. She and Gary had just come from St. Kitts where they had a great time.

Next I surprised Tina, then Roger and all the rest, was kind of fun seeing the looks on their faces seeing me unexpectedly. It was old home week. A lot of work has been done that you might not notice. A lot of painting (a regular task there). Refrigerators in the rooms. And finally island water has been hooked up!!!
They’ve had a desal plant for the island for quite awhile but had never run the water over the hill. Sandcastle has their own desal but it wasn’t big enough for all their needs. They, of course, will have that for backup. They are soon installing a new generator that will supply all the hotel/bar’s needs when island power goes out. As they get island power from Tortola and we all know how that power goes off on a regular basis so the generator will be very helpful.

Ordering food and drinks at the Soggy Dollar has become easier. More people available to take the food orders frees up the bartender for the more important task of making our drinks, on the weekends they now have two bartenders on duty.

One other change at Sandcastle is on Chef Oliver’s night off instead of shipping the guests to another restaurant they have started a BBQ night, with kabobs and lots of goodies. It has turned out to be quite a success. With my reduced eating ability I only tried a steak kabob but it was great. Everything smelled really good. Once again met lots of TTOL’ers, some staying at Sandcastle and some visiting at Gertrude’s.

Many of you probably remember Debbie Callwood; she used to work at Foxy’s and the Soggy Dollar. She is now running Wendell’s World Restaurant/bar in Great Harbour. Had a great couple days hanging around there. One of the couples staying at Sandcastle wondered by and we introduced them to some island drinks and they had a great time. I like the bar and location as it is definitely old style Caribbean and Deb is a great hostess. Anybody visiting Great Harbour should make sure and stop by to say hi to Deb and have a drink or two or three.

Wendell also still has the boutique at Gertrude’s (his mom) and as always is planning for change and growth. He’s talking about going into jewelry and putting in air-conditioning for the shop. Brother Greg is doing real well with the Perfect Pineapple. They are apparently booked for most of the holidays and other times as well. Wasn’t long ago they set up now they are going great guns. That helps a lot for those who want to stay in that end of White Bay as Sandcastle is often booked. It is a very short walk to Sandcastle/Soggy Dollar and the beach plus being up a hill you get great views.

I much prefer August in White Bay. Not only is the water a bit warmer but the cruise ships don’t come as often. There wasn’t a day I was there that a cruise ship or two wasn’t there. Now I’m talking about the large sailing ships (Windjammer’s being smaller than these) and then the smaller traditional cruise ships. It is still unnerving to me to see these guys sitting out there. But then I started going there when even the bareboats weren’t allowed in and had the bar to ourselves many times. Well before electricity and a road from Great Harbour.

As always the guests at Sandcastle were great. A lot of fun at cocktail hour and after dinner socializing.

Gertrude joined me for dinner at Sandcastle one night and was very entertaining, what a neat lady. She and Olga took good care of me. I now have an alternative when Sandcastle is full during my last minute trips.

The great Chef Oliver has not lost his touch, from the soups to the entrees it is all amazingly good. Didn’t get to see Sandy as much as she had a very bad case of the flu but Roger, Tina, Claire, Mick, Shaneek, Christine, Lorna, Irvie, Selvina and all the others were all great. They always take such good care of me and are very gracious.

Don’t know how I’ll make it until August when I’ll spend the month between Anegada and White Bay.

Thanks to everyone for a wonderful time.