After twelve years the trip keeps getting better[Linked Image] but it seems to be getting shorter[Linked Image]. For this trip report I'll give some of the new experinces we witnessed on the island. First, let me start out by thanking Ed Roman (Caribbean Island Travel 1-800-388-9135) for all your help, assistance and friendship in making this a great trip. Travel to and from the island went without a hitch, first time ever. Bus to ORD was on time at 3:20am and the usual line at AA international desk was four people. Normally on Saturday departures it looks like the line for Space Mountain at Disney in prime season. Note for next year leave during the week. Arrived on the Rock at 5:00pm and was met by Marius from St Louis Car Rental (590 31 3812). Paper work complete, a very clean Toyota and on our way. I have to say Marius is hard working, nice cars and always willing to help and go the extra mile. Since we knew the bridge draw bridge would catch us we took the Sandy Ground way to the French Cul de Sac region. The bridge was up but as we waited a gentleman, owner of the La Gandola restaurant was walking up and down the street passing out samples of pizza and menus. The samples were quite good and his initiative would be rewarded by a later visit for dinner. Arrived at our home for the next four days, the Sunrise Hotel (0590 29 57 00). I use the word "home" because when we arrived we were greeted by the manager Christian Jaunas and knew he would do everything to make our stay welcome. I tried to present my Visa card for imprint but he told me "NO, you are on vacation the paper work we will settle later". He took us to our room which was clean and nicely appointed. The views are fantastic continental breakfast include, a very european atmosphere, and Christian the most gracious host you will find on the island. Again, thanks Ed for the suggestion on the hotel I believe it is the best find and value on the island. We settled in with bread, wine and cheese on the porch enjoying the views and our company[Linked Image].<br><br>Wednesday: ORIENT all day. Brought along more wine, cheese sausage and bread. Sun, rest and reading = heaven. Dinner at Sol'e'Luna (0590 29 08 560). The food was very good, the service was a little slow. The lobster bisque soup with puffed pastry on top was unbelievabe. Definitely worth the trip just for that.<br><br>Thursday: Back to Orient for an abbriviated day at BooBooJam. Since we were picking up "incoming wounded" at the airport at 3:00 a quick trip to see Ruben and have some stuffed christophine was on the menu. Unfortunately they were out of christophine for the day but the Tuna on the Grill was awesome. Packed up early to get to SSBB for a picture of the LIAT flight our friends were on. They (Kim & Jeff) arrived safetly and on time and since this was their first experience of SXM took them the long way back to the hotel to give them a flavor of the island (and the roads). So through P'burg and up through the highland toward Captian Oliver's [Linked Image][Linked Image]. I think they got the idea. They settled in at the hotel and had cocktails in our room and over to the Pizza spot in Cul de Sac. <br><br>Friday: Got up early and headed to take the Bluebeard to Prickly Pear. Made the reservations and downpayment online. Big mistake[Linked Image]. They are having problems with the guy not forwarding the information and they did not have us booked. I brought along the confirmation and the person collecting the money said "no problem"[Linked Image][Linked Image]. We had a great time and great lunch. The bar was NEVER NEVER closed.Even our friend commented on how the crew was always handing you another drink. Here is a tip for people taking this or any other such excursion. Take the Friday trip. This is normally the last trip of the week as they are off Saturday, Sunday and do maintenance on Mondays. They start off their weekend mood on the way back. Also tip on the way back before you pull into port they appriciate it more. Friday night had dinner at a new restaurant next to Sunrise and owned by them. LE PINEL This is a definite winner in my book. Christian's hosting skills rubbed off on these guys. Atmosphere romantic, food excellent, prices very, very reasonable. I had duck medallion (10-12) in a sweet, sour mango sauce for about $11 dollars. Flavorful and tender. Best new place on the island keep up the great work. [Linked Image][Linked Image]<br>Saturday: Had to check out of Sunrise and say goodbye to Christian[img]/images/icons/sad.gif[/img], as we were moving to our time share at Pelican. On the way since the unit would not be ready we went to P'burg for some shopping. What can I say Touch Of Gold, Heeru, Three 10 oz Green Gernades, and a Visa card. Always enjoy Heeru, her staff, especially Jackie, and the deals they give us. Got to Pelican and were totally suprised at the unit and grounds. Work is being done on the buildings and I have never seen the place looking better. Our unit had new cookware, dishes and glasses, A/C and new upholstery. [img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img]. Think things are looking up. One thing that hasn't changed is Marty, the bartender at the swimup Marine pool bar. Best bartender on the island. Dinner at L'Alabama (0590 87 81 66). Always a treat and Pascal was there to great us. Karin unfortunately was back in europe but the food, service and presentation were up to standard. Highlight of the meal was the fish soup. Not grainy like some fish soups are but very smooth.<br><br>Sunday: Went to Orient with our fiends to share the sun, sand and now need two coolers for the snacks wine and beer. Weather forced us to our car early so we drove over to BooBooJam. The waves were up and great for body surfing. Had a great time saw Ruben and met his new wife and shared a cigar in celibration. Left early to get ready for the gathering at SSBB. Got to SSBB at about 7:00 and never saw so many people there. Saw John and Jamie right away but still felt like there was more to experience. Then it struck me, who was that lady with the crown on, was it? yes it was Queen Contessa, may her reign live forever. What a fun lady, can see she has alot of spark in her. Also met alot of other TTOL and especially, Solange. Solange, it is young vibriant citizens of St Maarten like you that make the Rock such a great place. We always critique the restaurants, beaches, hotels but you the citizens and the real prize otf the island [img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img].<br>Dinner at Bavaria as Bananas was closed. The sausage and german mustard was very good. <br><br>Monday: Kathy and myself started off the last full day on the island with a two hour massage at L'Aqualigne Spa (5995 44 24 26). Was light headed after that and rested and relaxed by the pool. Marty, the bartender kept the four of us comapny and satified, never thirsty. Went to La Gondola near the brige in Sandy Ground for dinner. Very good food although a bit smoky from cigarette. I had an appitizer of puffed pastry with tomato and cheese baked with a tomato and cream sauce. VERY GOOD. and the sauce was consumed buy the remaining garlic bread. <br><br>Tuesday:[img]/images/icons/frown.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/sad.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Got St Louis Car Rental to change the car over to our friends name as they are staying another week. Went to the airport, picked up two bottle of Madoudou and cried.<br><br>BEST NEW ON THE ISLAND:<br><br>St Louis Car Rental [img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img]<br>Work on the Pelican [img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img]<br>Le Pnell Restaurant [img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img]<br>Christain & Sunrise Hotel [img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img]<br>Solange and they many wonderful citizens of SXM who share their island with us[img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img][img]/images/icons/thumbsup.gif[/img]<br><br>The End<br>Bill[img]/images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]<br><br>Don't Stop The Carnival<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Administrator on 4/30/01 03:48 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Don't Stop The Carnival