A few weeks ago we did a post looking for restaurant suggestions for some folk visiting on a cruise ship. They had some pretty specific criteria including wanting a feet-in-the-sand type dining experience. There were a lot of good responses here on this forum which we passed along. Subsequently, the couple shared a report with us about their day visit to SXM and we thought it worthwhile to share on TTOL.

Ed and Sandra,

First off, thank so much for your recommendation of Mary's Boon for luncheon - it was excellent and memorable in more ways than one - more on that below. I did email and had two telephone conversations with Joanne and Cecilia there to make the reservation and special meal request.

We arrived at St. Martin to find our rental car arrangements were not going to happen! I wasted over an hour to try to find the representative that was to be at the cruise dock - but he was not and the telephone numbers listed in the local phone book were not operational (Dollar Car Rental). So, we arranged for a private taxi tour around the island to arrive at Mary's for the planned luncheon - on reflection, it was MOST fortunate as we went some places I would not have gone in a rental car (although the photo stops were few). Our driver had a great deal of knowledge to share and her personal views were quite evident regarding the differences between the French and Dutch portions of the island (residency, employment, government, development, etc.).

I must admit that after printing the photo of Grand Case from your web site, it was a 'shock' to travel the road and only view the backside of the places noted! I really must plan to go back and stay for at least a week to find some of the places you have identified and reviewed.

It was a pleasant drive around the island in the different (counterclockwise) direction and then the complete surprise as we drove by the airport and then turned into a somewhat 'residential' area and after several turns, arrive at Mary's Boon - to find that it is located immediately adjacent to the runway of the airport!! Just as we got there, a jet departed and I was not at all sure I wanted to stay with airplanes departing overhead. I asked the driver to wait while I went in to be sure we were expected. While we were a bit early, a table was ready for us on the balcony overlooking the beach. As they had noted in our earlier communications, the wind at mid-day was usually strong and dining on the beach would not be pleasant. That was the case. However, a front corner table behind glass was set for us and it was lovely with full silver service, a beautiful bouquet of fresh local flowers and a reservation card. I was instructed on the use of the 'self-service' bar and prepared a tropical punch for us while the meal was being prepared and I selected a bottle of cold, appropriate white wine from those available in the cooler. I had ordered the Fresh Lobster in advance. What followed was more than expected. What can I say? it was GREAT!! And while I did enjoy the very well prepared grilled lobster, only a few of the delicious fresh vegetables found their way to my mouth! It was really enough food for four people!! And the fresh fruit plate for dessert was, once again, filled with variety and much more than expected plus the presentation was excellent. All in all, a most memorable experience - and thank you again for your recommendation.

As we called for a taxi for the return to the cruise dock, we were told that the traffic was very difficult but we waited for only about 30 minutes due to the excellent and concerned service with many telephone calls by Joanne to locate a taxi for us to get us back to the ship before the 4:30 PM deadline.

We did enjoy our brief time on St. Martin, but the next time we go, it will be for several days!! Overall, I think that in only one day, we did not have sufficient time to adjust or understand local attitudes and timeframes! I think it must be something like the 'Manana' of Mexico.

Best regards,
Charles

Picture of our lobster luncheon is attached

[Linked Image]