Flew Delta on the 6AM from DCA connecting in ATL on Aug. 12. Theoretically, I could have taken the 7AM, but I was afraid about the short connection time. With only one flight a day, and not every day, that is a concern. Got to the airport at 4AM and there were already 2 long lines that merged into one. Nothing is moving since they don't open check-in until 5:45. By then panic is setting in and the lines have doubled in length since I arrived. International passengers are not allowed to use the kiosks even though they are capable of scanning passports. Some domestic travelers are afraid to use the kiosks so it is close to chaos.

I finished check-in at 5:15 and took my bag to TSA for scanning. There are 20+ bags ahead of mine but I head for the gate. Even if my bag doesn't make this flight it will get on the 7AM (I hope). Got through security quickly using my United status to use the preferred line. Arrived at the gate about the time they start loading and there are very few passengers even though they making announcements about a full flight and carry on restrictions. The overhead bins are almost empty. We push back on time and there are empty seats. I think some people missed the flight. On our May trip using the non-stop on United from Dulles they held the plane for about 10 minutes to let everyone get through security.

Flights were uneventful. Cleared immigration quickly and then waited and waited for my bag. I was sure it had not made the flight. There were only 4-5 of us left at the conveyor when one final cart arrived. Head for Hertz to collect my car (Gold Service island style), then to the Royal Palm for my cell phone and I am off to Match and Le Bounty for supplies. By the time I get to Sol e Luna it's 4PM, I have been up for over 14 hours and I am not driving back to P'burg for the TTOL party.

The weather was great. It rained 1-2 times per day, never for more than 10 minutes. Started each day with an espresso (each apartment at Sol e Luna has a machine) then off to OB for a round trip around 7AM. Then back to the apartment for breakfast and work. The cell phone does not work at the apartment as the hillside blocks a direct line to the cell tower, but if I walk 20 ft down the street I get a good signal.

Sol e Luna has cable, but only one channel, CNN International is in English. However, they have wireless with an excellent signal and I didn't come to watch TV.

Some drivers seem crazier than in the past. Watch out for cars passing on curves and hilltops. Even though you can see that the queue goes on forever some insist on passing just to get ahead one car. I notice one scooter driver is enjoying a Presidente. Never felt unsafe except for the drivers. Police are seen frequently, lots of private security.

Late afternoon 4-5PM it's back to OB for another walk, back to the deck for drinks and a nap before dinner. The mosquitoes are really bad this year. I bought the coils that you light, one in the morning and one in the afternoon keeps them under control. Christian tells me they are worst from 5-6PM, by 8PM they're gone, another reason to dine late. Many women carry a can of OFF with them to dinner. It's a fashion statement.