I went to SXM on a last minute "retreat" from 8/12-19. Had some "use them or lose them" miles and needed a place to work without day to day fire fighting. I chose an apartment at Sol e Luna because I thought the eastern side of the island would get more of a breeze in the Summer and wanted to try the place that we had already reserved for November.

We have stayed on the western side of the island this time of year in Grand Case. The eastern side of the island does not benefit from the breezes off the Atlantic and I hoped the location would provide some relief as I came to work and did not want to spend my time in an air-conditioned room. I was able to work on the deck until late in the afternoon with the doors and windows open.

Sol e Luna is a restaurant in the Mt. Vernon-French Cul du Sac region of SXM, located about half way between the village of Grand Case and Orient Beach. It is known for its food and ambience, which earn a well deserved reputation for excellence. Undiscovered to many are the six apartments terraced on the hillside above the restaurant. The sense of style in the restaurant below transcends to the apartments above. Each is unique and presents an interesting opportunity for a relaxing vacation.

The attention to detail is found throughout the small intimate facility. From the construction that has been designed to withstand hurricane force storms to the galet surfaces of the bathroom counter tops and shower flooring, everything is designed to make the visitor feel at home in this island paradise. The owners, Christian and Bridgette, and their daughter Charlotte manage the restaurant and apartments. Christian and Bridgett collaborate on the design and style of the facility.

Sole e Luna is located on a hillside overlooking the Etang (salt pond) de Chevrise to Orient Bay and on to St. Barts. There are six apartments, three studios and three suites. Suites Nacre and Jasmine are located on the first level above the restaurant, the rest are one more level up. This means a vertical climb of about 50 ft to the upper level. I stayed in studio Coco Tiare. We have reserved suite Nacre for November. Nacre and Jasmine were undergoing upgrades during my visit.

I have posted photos at: http://s99.photobucket.com/albums/l287/lasermansxm/Sol%20e%20Luna/

The Slideshow is easiest way to view IMO.

My restaurant visits for the week included three from previous trips (Sol e Luna, le Taitu & California), and three first timers (Yvette's, Ti Bouchon & Tabba Kady). The only disappointment was Ti Bouchon. The meal was good and Momo is a gracious host, but they no longer do 1:1 (although the web site still says so) and it seemed over priced. Yvette's is hard to find, but worth the effort. IMO, Le Taitu is the best value in an upscale room, the food and service is great. They are not busy in the evenings in the off season, but packed at lunch with locals which should tell you something. Tabba Kady has an eclectic menu, great service and a very nice setting. California was the busiest room in Grand Case the evening I was there, which is not a surprise. Good selection from piazza to rack of lamb, great location and service. Sol e Luna has been recognized as the most romantic restaurant in the Caribbean. The décor is a combination of Mediterranean and Creole, the food and service are superb. They were busy every night, although most arrive well after 8PM.

With respect to the police roadblocks, I went through two, both in the afternoon, 4-5PM. They were enforcing seatbelt and cell phone laws. I did not see any in the evening, but I was told that they are more frequent and required by the French government. This is effecting restaurant business, as many are afraid to travel from OB or Marigot to Grand Case & Mt. Vernon.