Air Canada doesn't make it easy to use all those accumulated aeroplan points when you want to go from Toronto to SXM. This year my itinerary had The Goddess Of Food & Love and I leaving home at 5PM to finally arrive at Club Fantastico at 1PM the next day. In between, we had stops at JFK and Panama before finally getting to SXM. So, it was a very weary pair that stumbled out of the baggage claim area to look for our rental car rep. Who wasn't there. Of course.

It has to be said, the rental car guys and gals at the airport are a great bunch. When I explained that we were expecting our guy/gal to be waiting for us, 3 of them hopped on the problem and called the car company for us. Five minutes late, someone turned up and whisked us off to the office. This is when things got a little weird.

We pulled in to the rental car lot as a bunch of blue uniformed people toting clipboards made their way out. The car was left running and our cases were still in the trunk. Once the coast was clear, we were asked if we would mind just taking the car before they came back and coming back another day to complete the paperwork. It seems that Dutch side companies shouldn't really be renting French registered vehicles for tax reasons. Well, what the hell else was I going to do? I know these guys because I've rented from them quite happily for a few years and like them. Also, we would have had to go back to the airport and arrange a rental from someone else and by that time we were getting pretty cranky. So, as of this moment, I'm in possession of a rental car with no paperwork and these guys owe me big time.

Anyway, as I was saying, after 20 hours of travel we pulled down the driveway of Club Fantastico and called out, "Hi! We're ho-ome!" And so we were.

After a round of catchup with Chloe, The Goddess needed to get some rest and I needed to get some supplies. The first thing I have to report this year is that Pascal and his wife sold Bread & Cakes and it is now under new ownership with a new name. Early reports suggest that the quality has improved considerably. I'll post the new name tomorrow when I manage to remember what that is. I picked up a baguette there and then headed out to Simply Market. The first thing I wanted was sunscreen and, surprisingly, pickings there were slim. They seem to have reorganized their whole toiletries section and, unless I missed it, their sunscreen selection was limited to one very feeble display. I found everything else I was looking for, apart from some Brie de Maux. Same thing last year, too, although it was easily obtainable I previous years. I may have to look elsewhere.

Back at Club F and The Goddess is emitting speech bubbles full of Zzzs. So, it's time for me to get naked and have a quick swim and a lie down in the sun, when fatigue finally has its way with me and I fail to beat the 8 count.

Some time later, I woke up with a start and when I finally figured out where I was and that I had not actually died and gone to heaven, I was introduced to the other guests. Thierry prepared Haché Parmentier for us, a lot of red wine was opened and drunk and I shared some of my own wine, pâté and cheese, while we got into a fairly interesting political discussion. People say that you shouldn't discuss politics, religion or sex.. I say that's the FUN stuff, so why not?

Tonight wound down with a serious fistfight and the appearance of the gendarmes. Only kidding. There was a last swim before a sprinkling of rain sent your reporter and his iPad inside to type up this report.

Tomorrow, Larry & Cleta arrive. Then things are really going to heat up!

[Linked Image]