Returned on Tuesday from 2 glorious weeks at our home away from home. Was there for the Friday night 11/7 to Saturday rain. Road through Mullet was flooded out. Island curfew took effect at noon on Saturday and lifted at 6pm. Our daytimes are defined by sunshine - we are boring that way - but we came home as brown as can be. We had our heart set on the Friday Salmon/Rib Eye specials and Saturday Greek Night at Vesna but they were closed for dinner until November 15th!! (Breakfast /Lunch only). This was going to be 2 of our dinners but we made do!
Here is our list with comments-
Pineapple Petes - wife and I shared a "Monster" Lobster Thermidor that was outstanding! Must have been a 4 pound lobster for $52. Service always top notch here.
Temptations - a comment from a restaurateur friend of ours says, "Dino's prices are very high." I had the strip steak at $45 (off the Best of Rare menu). A little overdone from my medium rare request but still juicy. However, ambiance and service are always good so we always make room for this restaurant.
Bistrot Caraibe- we happen to love Thibault and Amaury and even though their menu hasn't changed since we've been going here, meals and service are always outstanding. Shout out to Nadia our waitress who is a sweetheart. 2 meals here- one off the specials (whole pan fried snapper deboned) and always the thermidor.
L'Auberge Gourmande - another poster said this was their favorite meal. We agree wholeheartedly. We sat out on the porch. I had the salmon with Parmesan crust that blew me away. The vegetable sides are artwork here. We hadn't been here in over 10 years and we are so sorry. It was memorable and we told the staff so.
La Villa - I think the reviews are so good here because they offer 1 to 1 for cash but I would say we just had an average meal. Service excellent though. I had rack of lamb - 4 bones split 2/2 and one set perfect, other set too rare. Not a "sender back" or complainer so my own fault.
Ocean 82- also a favorite. Both had the duck here because you literally get a whole breast sliced with leftovers for lunch. The St. Marcellin cheese appetizer blows us away every time.
Le Ti Bouchon- Momo is our favorite host because he will, if you ask, describe how every one of his dishes is prepared. We always eat here twice. I had chicken one meal (yeah- CHICKEN- who would think!) but prepared as medallions marinated in an olive oil prep that kept them unbelievably juicy.
SushiItto- we tried this on Momo's recommendation as he is good friends with the host, Elisa from Baltimore. The food here is outstanding. Sushi is amazingly fresh, rice bowls are huge (mixed fried rice bowl only $8.95 and I couldn't finish). Didn't try the Teppanyaki tables but will try next time. In Port De Plaisance. Slight issue with service on a busy night but food quality made up for it.
Pizza Galley- our first try at this Canadian owned place. Met JP the owner. 12 inch thin crust crunchy pie was fabulous. We will definitely return for our most "economical" dinner of our vacation. Try the Apple 4 Berry pie!
Charter House - this is the old Saratoga location and we had a great meal here. I had a boneless rib eye that must have been 16 ounces or more. Not busy so service was good.
So French - Our last night choice to stay close to our hotel. Also a stand out. We sat on the balcony overlooking Simpson Bay. Also a slow night so service was superb. Thanks, Tony.
Our breakfasts alternated between cooking in the room or going to either Vesna Taverna (coffee was terrible this time but we love Sally), Piece of Cake or Cafe Atlantico. The crepes at Cafe Atlantico were by far the best. The woman there is a one person dynamo. We are not lunch people other than leftovers from dinner or a sandwich on the beach.
All and all, we all talk about how much we love going back to our paradise. This is why we buy timeshare here, buy real estate here or move here. The people are wonderful, we had no issues whatsoever with crime and the only thing I can say negative is that as more and more locals have cars and more visitors rent cars, there are no places to park! LOL. We took a 6 year break from SXM and have now enjoyed our 6th vacation there since coming back. We all know why we keep coming back for more.